Desert Island Film

razorclam

What is your one desert Island Shaw Brothers Film? Only one. No honorable mentions.

Mine is "The Delightful Forest". Ever since reading "outlaws of the Marsh" I've been hooked.

James B.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My choice would be 'Death Duel'.

It is still fresh in my mind since I saw it for the 1st time a week or so ago.

This is a tough choice since I am forced to leave out a Fu Sheng movie, or a Venoms movie

.....or something like 'Killer Clans' :biggrin:

Very tough choice indeed.

King Boxer, aka 5 Fingers of Death. The first Shaw film, and first Kung Fu film I ever saw.

Just the right amount of action: centered around a MA tourney, love interest, evil Japanese villains, eye gouging, and great trampoline stunts! What more could you want?

:bigsmile:

Has to be Sword Stained with Royal Blood my FAVOURITE venoms flik...Kwok Choy has never been better in this his finest role. I can watch this multiple times and still see new things in the choreography.

I might go with Shaolin Temple. Nice production values, most of the great Shaw stars of the 70's, with some of the 60s guys in there, and early work from some of the venoms. Great training scenes and lots of great one on one fights at the end, empty hand, weapons, heroic deaths...pretty much got it all. (although it is missing Chen Kuan Tai)

Yeah I think the only thing missing from Shaolin Temple is Chen Kuan Tai as Hung Hey Goon....Frankie Wei is NO substitute!!!

instant noodles

Lady Assassin. It`s not maybe best Shaw film in my opinion and despite numerous faults ( too undercranked, too short running time considering depth of plot and somewhat disappointing ending) it`s highly entertaining. I could not stand thing to be in deserted island without it^_^.

instant noodles

After again re(re-re-re-re+)watched Masked Avengers I would take it to desert island over lady assassin.

Yang Wu Liang

I'd be tempted with some of the suggestions so far... Sword stained, Death Duel, Five super Fighters... but I'll say Long Road To Gallantry.

instant noodles
I'd be tempted with some of the suggestions so far... Sword stained, Death Duel, Five super Fighters... but I'll say Long Road To Gallantry.

Long road to gallantry is excellent...Usually those late 70`s/early 80`s wu xia lose it because too many characters and sideplots but this is very tight. Interesting storyline and proper fights. Maybe could have done with little less undercranking but it does not hurt a lot. End fight at lair with arrow shooting trap is great.

Yang Wu Liang

Glad you agree Noodles, I love that frenetic early 80's choreography best - undercranking, wires and all!

instant noodles
Glad you agree Noodles, I love that frenetic early 80's choreography best - undercranking, wires and all!

I guess you love bastard swordsman then also?

I guess you love bastard swordsman then also?

Bastard, and Retun of Bastard are both TOP tier Shaws. Humor is never intrusive, fun fights, cheesy (in a good way) effects...

instant noodles
Bastard, and Retun of Bastard are both TOP tier Shaws. Humor is never intrusive, fun fights, cheesy (in a good way) effects...

Both top kung fu craziness:wink:

Archived