Jackie Chan's The Protecor (1985) japanese Blu Ray

andi81

The Blu Ray of The Protector hits the High Street in Japan.

It seems that the release contains Jackie Chan's recut of the film + some extra scenes for the japanese market...including the infamous outtakes at the end!!!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Okay....Okay.....Okay, okay, okay.

Not to be a stickler for details....(but I am)........the 2nd link shows that it's Region A. Clicking on the "A", it states where it will play and lists North America. I'm in the US (which is North America) and typically coded for Region 1. So.......this would play on my Blu-ray player then?

Guest Markgway

Roughly region A covers the USA and Asia; B covers Europe and Australia; C covers Russia.

Region numbers (1 thru 6) apply only to DVDs.

The Blu Ray of The Protector hits the High Street in Japan.

It seems that the release contains Jackie Chan's recut of the film + some extra scenes for the japanese market...including the infamous outtakes at the end!!!

If this is Jackie's version including the end credit outtakes I'd like to get this blu-ray, but I was too disappointed with the Japanese Project A blu-rays to buy before knowing for certain what I'll be getting.

What was wrong with the Project A blurays?

And is the english audio track on the japanese "Wheels on Meals" bluray the old english dub?

Hope this is the case. But someone on my Jackie Chan site said that they bought the Japanese DVD of The Protector and it was the USA edit, so why would the Blu ray be any different?

The japanese print is based on the hk-version.

The description of the blu ray on cdjapan.co.jp confirms that....

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PBW-300026

i've already ordered the blu ray...i hope it is really the japanese version...the japanese laserdisc also doesn't contain the international cut...dunno about the japanese dvd...

I just found out that the japanese dvd has only english audio.

the new japanese blu ray has english and japanese audio tracks...

It also says "Japanese-edition of the film" on the other Blu ray releases of Dragons Forever and both Armour of God films..what does this mean?...I know there were different edits released in Japan of certain Jackie films, but can anyone give more details?

the japanese edition of Dragons Forever contains exclusive outtakes at the end...we know em from the bonus-section of the hkl- dvd-set...

Guest Markgway

The Fortune Star masters have been upscales so it'll be interesting to see if the Japanese versions are proper HD. Worth noting that an English track was never prepared for the Asian cut of The Protector so no idea what they'll be doing there. Two versions on one disc? Fortune Star's existing "HD" master is for the original director's cut.

I remember seeing a Laserdisc of the Japanese version and the scenes in America were in original English and as soon as it went to Hong Kong it was Cantonese (dubbed). Be great to have this version on Blu ray.

The japanese print is based on the hk-version.

The description of the blu ray on cdjapan.co.jp confirms that....

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PBW-300026

i've already ordered the blu ray...i hope it is really the japanese version...the japanese laserdisc also doesn't contain the international cut...dunno about the japanese dvd...

When you get the blu-ray please fill us in on details, whether or not it is Jackie's cut with outtakes. I hope it is, if it is I'll be buying it, too. I just don't entirely trust the description at cdjapan because they say it's "subject to change without notice", something like that.

What was wrong with the Project A blurays?

And is the english audio track on the japanese "Wheels on Meals" bluray the old english dub?

The three disc Project A blu-ray set didn't have enough special features to justify a 3rd disc (not even close), & the picture quality wasn't all that great, either. Overall, it just wasn't worth the hefty price, the dvd set that came out a few years ago (the1st to feature the deleted scenes) was a better deal. The special features on that dvd set, by the way, are basically the same ones featured on this ridiculously expensive Japanese blu-ray set.

The Fortune Star masters have been upscales so it'll be interesting to see if the Japanese versions are proper HD. Worth noting that an English track was never prepared for the Asian cut of The Protector so no idea what they'll be doing there. Two versions on one disc? Fortune Star's existing "HD" master is for the original director's cut.

as these JP Blurays all carry a huge Fortune Star Logo they will of course be the same nonsense upscales. the only REAL HD Jackie Classics Bluray is HEART OF DRAGON because it's not Fortune Star Crap, and i'm sure the HK DVD disc, when it comes one day, will be just another upscale and way worse.

i don't expect state of the art picture quality, but i hope for the real japanese print....i'll probably receive the film this week and after that we'll know more...

Has anybody else recommendable japanese Blu Rays of hk-flicks (besides First Mission)?

The three disc Project A blu-ray set didn't have enough special features to justify a 3rd disc (not even close), & the picture quality wasn't all that great, either. Overall, it just wasn't worth the hefty price, the dvd set that came out a few years ago (the1st to feature the deleted scenes) was a better deal. The special features on that dvd set, by the way, are basically the same ones featured on this ridiculously expensive Japanese blu-ray set.

What set is that? I have both the HKLs and the IVL/Joy Sales set and neither have any deleted scenes.

Son Of A Gun

Yes they do. You knew that. You just forgot, I'm sure. They're on the IVL and Joy Sales boxset which is the same set.

The scene where Yuen Biao teaches self defence in the gym. The scene where the supposed ghost of Big Mouth comes into the mess hall. And the scene where Jackie and Sammo are hiding out in the brothel and then Jackie fights the bad guys.

Those deleted scenes are not on the HKL. They are on one of the IVL or Joy Sales releases not sure which one or both.

Those deleted scenes are not on the HKL. They are on one of the IVL or Joy Sales releases not sure which one or both.

Yes. Def on the IVL, and not on the HKL.

Don't worry, I know you were. My comment was referring mainly to my reply being totally ignored like it didn't even exist. :cry:

on to the next village.....

i received my Protector-Blu Ray today and now you get the facts:

The disc contains 3 (!) versions of the film!!!

1) the international version with great picture quality, 95min.

2) a cantonese version with the additional scenes but without the outtakes, 87min.

3) a mixed version with english and cantonese audio including the additional scenes + the outtakes, 104min!!!!!!!

I just finished watching the 104 minute-version...the picture quality of the additional scenes is not as good as the quality of the english material, but it's a satisfying viewing experience...

extras: some trailers and photo-slideshows

Archived