Samurai Trilogy

razorclam

In Criterion's New Years Eve clue drawing; They have a hint that many are saying represents a Blu Ray upgrade for The Samurai Trilogy. Just thought you guys would want to know.

James B

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch
I'll be very happy. Unless it turns out to be "Baseball Trilogy" :tongue:

Edit: is that 3-Iron in the bottom right?

Yeah the original Criterion release is basically on par with a not-so-good laserdisc release (I believe it is the same, one of Criterion's worst looking DVD releases).

Well it is probably Y Tu Mama Tambien. Though Criterion certainly needs more South Korean films.

masterofoneinchpunch
OK what are they releasing on BR?

Which month or do you mean what clues can we glean from the image above?

Coming soon:

Most likely upcoming this year:

Gold Rush, Harold and Maude, Rosemary's Baby, Breaking the Waves, Being John Malkovich, A Night to Remember (BR) and City Lights.

Sorry I meant what Samurai trilogy are they releasing on BR?

I HIGHLY doubt they will release the Samurai Trilogy on Blu. The transfer on the DVD's is horrid.

Sorry I meant what Samurai trilogy are they releasing on BR?

THE Samurai Trilogy :tongue:

I HIGHLY doubt they will release the Samurai Trilogy on Blu. The transfer on the DVD's is horrid.

That's exactly why we expect them to release them on BD. We've been waiting for new transfers forever.

Since Criterion started releasing films on blu ray, every movie they've upgraded that was a previous release has gotten the blu ray treatment. It doesn't seem like a stretch to think the pattern will continue.

James

I hope it gets a decent blu ray release. Only thing is, that print looks like as good as its going to get. It seemed worse than even older Kurosawa prints.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

masterofoneinchpunch
I hope it gets a decent blu ray release. Only thing is, that print looks like as good as its going to get. It seemed worse than even older Kurosawa prints.

Here's hoping I'm wrong.

I believe they have better source material. There is no way they would release something as bad (in source quality) as the LD port for the original DVD releases.

Archived