80's slasher classics

Guest daTOAD

Guest daTOAD

dont know if this is the right place to ask,but can anyone recommend some good 80's slasher/horror flicks. besides kung fu and gangster films ,this is my favorite type of movies to watch.please help me out, thankz.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest monwobobbo

MANIAC tom savini does great work.

DERANGED 70s but a wild film, on dvd with MOTEL HELL

PROWLER more tom savini

BASKET CASE not your tandard hack and slash but tons of fun.

Guest zwolf1

O' course, you've got your classic Halloween and Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Streets... but I'd stick to the very early episodes of those and avoid the newer ones.

Another good slasher flick on DVD is My Bloody Valentine. It's similar to The Prowler in a lot of ways.

The Sleepaway Camp box set is a bargain and pretty fun... not as gory as most, but still decent slasher flicks. The ending of the first movie is one of the strangest, ever.

Then there's Fulci's New York Ripper... it's sickeningly misogynistic, but if you can get around that it's got plenty of splat.

If you like Maniac, there's always Don't Go In The House, which is very similar in tone.

Speaking of "don't" movies, Don't Look In The Basement is classic axe-murderer crazy-house stuff... definitely check that out, you can get it very cheap.

Then, they're not strictly slashers, but there are tons of Italian giallo films... just got Seven Blood Stained Roses the other day and it was good...

Many slasher movies were pretty crappy, but I'm still waiting for a few classics to make it to DVD... like Final Terror was always a fave of mine, and Just Before Dawn...

Guest ThunderFoot77

Some that I consider to be top of the list, but at the same time sleepers in the genre:

Torso: extremely brutal, guy kills group of girls after multiple sex scenes.

My all time favorite: I spit on your grave: a girls tale of violent revenge. Awsome.......

Guest daTOAD

thanks guys,but ive seen all mentioned except for the Giallos[not really into them].as popular as they were in the 80s it seem to be a lot more out there than i can find.among my favorites are:Halloween, Hell Night,Scream, Funhouse, Madman, Dont go in the House,Final Terror, the Prowler, My Bloody Valentine, Mothers Day[hell of an ending], SWleepaway Camp[great ending], Slumber Party Massacre 2[the best in the series.the killer priest is ridiculous], the Burning[unct].

something along the lines of these films is whut im looking for.Madman is the latest gem i discovered[though the acting is harder to watch than the gore],but cant find anything else. i kinda remember Just Before Dawn.sounds good.is it a worthy purchase? that goes for Dont Go Into the Basement also.is this a good slasher film?

Guest zwolf1

Halloween,

***** Classic! :)

Funhouse,

***** I forgot that one, love that movie!

Mothers Day[hell of an ending],

******* Over-the-top flick, gotta love it...

the Burning[unct].

********** I heard they were working on a DVD of that... can't wait!

.Madman is the latest gem i discovered[though the acting is harder to watch than the gore],

********* I've seen that a long time ago... it was pretty decent, as I recall...

i kinda remember Just Before Dawn.sounds good.is it a worthy purchase?

******** I liked it, but I don't think it's on DVD anywhere. I'm hoping they put all of Jeff Lieberman's stuff out (I love Squirm, I don't care if MST3K made fun of it or not! :) ). I think Squirm is in the works, and Blue Sunshine will be out pretty soon, but they're not slasher flicks, really.

"that goes for Dont Go Into the Basement also.is this a good slasher film?"

****** It's one of my all-time favorites, although it's not strictly a stalk-and-slash flick... it's kind of a weird-things-happening-in-an-asylum movie, but with plenty of stabbings and axe murderings and stuff. It has this atmosphere that breathes down your neck... It can be gotten on DVD very cheap (I've seen it for like six bucks before) so you really can't go wrong.

I remembered a couple of others, but they're kind of odd because they're foreign. There's Stage Fright, which is Italian and very gory, but more slasher than giallo, and Deep In The Woods which is French, and pretty new. Both of those are worth checking out.

Guest zwolf1

I *think* that Brentwood has Just Before Dawn coming out as part of a new 10-movie box set next month... it's listed on the back of "Deadtime Stories" as one of the movies in the set. BUT, I've seen Brentwood change titles on these things when they actually get released, so I'll believe it when I see it. Still, I've got my fingers crossed.

The Forest, I can't help ya with... haven't seen that anywhere except very old videotapes...

Guest daTOAD

i saw The Forest in an old Witching Hour catalog,but recently went to thier site and its not listed.is this film from the 80s?are the Brentwood sets the same as the 10 movie dvds that are like $20? also does anyone know if Silent Night Deadly Night and Dont Go In The Basement are worthy purchases?[theyre together on one dvd with 2 other movies for 6.99]thanx

Archived