The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo [2011]

OpiumKungFuCracker

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just Saw Fincher's version of this and man was it a long ass movie... The opening credits was really amazing with the techno/ NIN score feel to it and up until the middle section of the movie it was all good and then towards the end it just kind of drags and drags with nothing happening at all, very dull.. I have not read any of the books or seen the Swedish version... It's been awhile seen I've seen A martial Arts movie in the cinema and I'm stuck with this shit, oh and lots and lots of nudity, me likes:tongue:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10884&stc=1&d=1306824843

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw it a few days ago

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (USA, 2011) – 3.5/5

Not having seen the Swedish adaptation or read the novel, this turned out quite solid, except for the horrible opening credits sequence. A well directed story film with good characters and excellent performances by Daniel Craig and especially Rooney Mara (who is actually quite hot in the film). It does take a little while to get used to a Sweden where everyone speaks English with random European accents, though (plus a few words of Swedish here and there for some strange reason!).

the book was great. the (original swedish) movie`s quite good. the entire series (the novels) rocks. that cant be said about the (again- swedish) movie trilogy. parts 2 and 3 fell flat compared to the source material. girl/tattoo the movie had more class, production values and creative energy than the rest ("fire" and "hornets nest" and the series, comprised of leftovers and subplots that didnt make the final cut).

havent seen finchers dragon tattoo, nor am i particularly keen on watching it. some day i guess.

Guest Yi-Long
the book was great. the (original swedish) movie`s very good. the entire series (the novels) rocks. that cant be said about the (again- swedish) movie trilogy. parts 2 and 3 fell flat compared to the source material. girl/tattoo the movie had more class, production values and creative energy than the rest ("fire" and "hornets nest" and the series, comprised of leftovers and subplots that didnt make the final cut).

havent seen finchers dragon tattoo, nor am i particularly keen on watching it. some day i guess.

I'm thinking about picking up the original trilogy. Which versions did you watch? The movies, or the extended cuts?

OpiumKungFuCracker

Was the cat in the book too for those who've seen both the English/Swedish version??? I knew something would happen, I just knew it...

watched the movie versions. walked into a friend watching the miniseries version (extended cuts), it was some time into the 2nd movie ("fire") and i didnt like it too much. the "new" parts didnt add to the pleasure and would just drag it along.

in retrospect i felt, the subplots they had left out of the movies were carefully chosen.

now im reading at wikipedia, that....

Originally, only the first film was meant for a theatrical release, with the following ones conceived as TV movies, but this was changed in the wake of the tremendous success of the first film.

... and that makes sense to me. fire & hornets nest simply lacked the cinematic scope and ambition. nor did the extended parts from what i could tell.

my recommendation: read the millenium trilogy. watch the original dragon tattoo. whether or not u bother with fire & hornets nest is entirely up to u afterwards. i did KIND OF enjoy them as well. u could paraphrase 'it didnt hurt me watching them'.

generally, i find the occassional breeze of a euro-cinematic vibe (the "bourne" series, "banlieue 13" or "hanna" come to mind) refreshing in between all the asian and hollywood stuff thats on my regular diet.

I seen the Sweidsh version and I thought it was a really good trilogy. I want to see this version this week, so then I can compare the 2 versions.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I kinda dig the goth/punk rock look on chicks... She's hot but I wouldn't screw around with a girl like that in real life, bitch is a loose cannon...

I seen the Sweidsh version and I thought it was a really good trilogy. I want to see this version this week, so then I can compare the 2 versions.

I agree, I watched the original trilogy through the Netflix streaming and really enjoyed them. I haven't read the books though, maybe that would affect my perception of them. Of course, I don't think I could ever go into a movie having read the book and expect much more than disappointment. The book is almost always better, save for The Shining. :crossedlips:

OpiumKungFuCracker
What happens to the cat?

I can't stand watching animal cruelty (even if it's faked).

I'm a big softy that way.

If you're a cat lover or owned one, you might want to skip this one.. Then again it's only a movie...

Guest Yi-Long
watched the movie versions. walked into a friend watching the miniseries version (extended cuts), it was some time into the 2nd movie ("fire") and i didnt like it too much. the "new" parts didnt add to the pleasure and would just drag it along.

in retrospect i felt, the subplots they had left out of the movies were carefully chosen.

now im reading at wikipedia, that....

... and that makes sense to me. fire & hornets nest simply lacked the cinematic scope and ambition. nor did the extended parts from what i could tell.

my recommendation: read the millenium trilogy. watch the original dragon tattoo. whether or not u bother with fire & hornets nest is entirely up to u afterwards. i did KIND OF enjoy them as well. u could paraphrase 'it didnt hurt me watching them'.

generally, i find the occassional breeze of a euro-cinematic vibe (the "bourne" series, "banlieue 13" or "hanna" come to mind) refreshing in between all the asian and hollywood stuff thats on my regular diet.

Thanks, still thinking about picking it up... :)

This was an OK flick but a totally unnecessary remake. Rooney Mara was good, but in no way does she deliver an improvement on Noomi Rapace's performance....The opening credits were the best part of the film by far (visually, I hated that bad Zeppelin cover). The random accents were just annoying (half of them sounded Russian, not Swedish, and some of the cast didn't bother with an accent at all...plus all the newspapers are in Swedish, but Lisbeth tattoos her parole officer in English?), and the ending DOES drag on way too long. To be fair, the ending of the original Swedish film dragged on forever too.

People reading this site aren't likely to be thrown off by subtitles, just man up and go watch the original (superior) version of the film.

kungpowmaster

I saw the original and liked it.

I don't see a reason for a remake.

I might see the remake sometime later if my buddy gets it on DVD, but I don't feel inclined to see the new one at the theatre.

I saw the original and liked it.

I don't see a reason for a remake.

I might see the remake sometime later if my buddy gets it on DVD, but I don't feel inclined to see the new one at the theatre.

Yeah watching a nearly 3 hour long mystery film when you already know everything that's going to happen can make your arse pretty numb.

and Markgway, I guess I'm in the minority then. :angel:

Archived