Blood Letter (2012)

AlbertV

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drunken Monk

I don't know what this is, exactly, but the taste of action here makes the film look a lot worse than I thought it would be...

H1buVMFX-dE

This gets a US release on February 25th under the name, "Sword of the Assassin." Twitch has a new trailer here.

Has anyone seen this one? It looks beautiful and as though it might have some solid Wu Xia style action to offer.

Has anyone seen this one? It looks beautiful and as though it might have some solid Wu Xia style action to offer.

It is. Just don't expect real fights, only more or less competently staged wire-fu-action. Fightwise the actors seem not that capable.

• Administrator

This was just delivered to my door. Once I'm finished my Zatoichi marathon (I'm on film # 23) I will check it out and post my thoughts here.

Though the new title SWORD OF ASSASSIN may fit the film- won't know until I watch it- I wish they had kept it BLOOD LETTER. These new generic titles that always have "assassin" and "legend" in the title always run together for me, and make it hard to keep track of what's what.

This was just delivered to my door. Once I'm finished my Zatoichi marathon (I'm on film # 23) I will check it out and post my thoughts here.

Though the new title SWORD OF ASSASSIN may fit the film- won't know until I watch it- I wish they had kept it BLOOD LETTER. These new generic titles that always have "assassin" and "legend" in the title always run together for me, and make it hard to keep track of what's what.

I'd love to hear your opinion, KFB. I have it in my Amazon shopping cart but haven't really come across many reviews so I'm itching to know whether it's worth a buy.

Drunken Monk

for those of us dwelling in the US, I was surprised to see this on Netflix yesterday. I haven't watched it yet but will definitely give it a go this week.

this movie was much much better than i expected. i for one am not a fan of wire fu and when i watched the trailer, i figured it would be a Smörgåsbord of flying and fighting. to my surprise, the fights were mostly grounded and realistic with a hint of wires. i wouldnt buy this movie, but recommend it for a watch. the biggest issue i had was the lead actor sucked

Drunken Monk

While this film isn't terrible, it's not really great either. It's a middle-of-the-road wire-fest (Gwai LO, hints of wires? They're everywhere!) with giant plot holes but enough solid action to make it watchable.

I found that the lead actor primarily using a pole as a weapon was a nice little touch and switched things up form usual wu xia styled films. It's a shame though as the best of the action is the hand-to-hand combat, of which there is very little.

If you hate wires you will despise this film. Every jump is assisted (and gets the added slow motion treatment), every big kick is very "floaty" and...well...you get the point. Also, the small moments of CGI are abysmal.

With that said, it's a simple film and a very easy watch, The action scenes are aplenty and nothing in the film is so offensive that you'll find yourself reaching for the off switch.

If anything, it's distinctly average. A "C" grade film if ever there was one. But, if you find yourself needing something to watch on a lazy Sunday, you can definitely do much worse than the "Sword of the Assassin."*

* Why they changed the name, I do not know. The entire film is about a blood letter. In fact, 90% of the script is people saying, "Blood letter."

ShaolinMapache

I thought the acting and plot were great in this one! Wires were used but it was never much of a distraction, they were used sparingly for when someone got knocked back. CGI was rough but they used it sparingly as well and it wasn't the worst I've seen from the era. The action in this was fantastic. I'd say worth watching or revisiting now that 8 years have passed since its release. Highlights was the scar faced villain who used wrist daggers. This was the first Vietnamese wuxia film I've seen but I'm craving more now. I'll be looking into Johnny Nguyen for sure. I agree the name change was a bit silly but get why it was done for marketing purposes. 

Archived