Island Of Lost Souls 1932 released by Criterion!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

I know it's a bit late, but I rarely have time to even make it past visiting our forum here these days, Inever got around to posting this news. Island Of Lost Souls w/ Bela Lugosi and Charles Laughton was finally remastered and released by Criterion last Oct. 2011 I've been waiting a long time for this film to be remastered. Greaat old school horror film. I've yet tp pick it up, money issues, though intend to quite soon. Thank you Criterion!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
masterofoneinchpunch

It's been years since this (on VHS), but since it is near Christmas time I will have to wait until after to purchase it (unless I get it as a gift, one of the reasons I'm waiting on this). But I'm really looking forward to it regardless (I'll get it before the end of the year one way or another :D).

Now to the House of Pain.

The 1930s is easily my favorite decade of horror :).

masterofoneinchpunch

This is the second time I have seen this film. I saw it years ago on VHS on most likely a public domain copy. I have been quite eager for this release. I am seriously happy that this was made a Criterion. And I was even happier after watching it last night. It is unfortunate that this film has never quite had the popularity (it has always had a cult following) of the Universal horror films. But one of the benefits of Criterion releasing a film is that this will get more widely seen and I believe its reputation will only increase. It is among my top horror films of the 1930s alongside Bride of Frankenstein, Freaks, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Mad Love (hmmm a mad doctor theme among many of those picks).

Charles Laughton is excellent and strangely quite reserved, especially compared to many of his later performances, as Dr. Moreau. A quiet hubris masks his countenance. To him his bioengineering is nothing more than a natural extension of science where he, of course, is the architect. His hubris is a classical Shakespearean tragic characteristic and leads to his undoing. It is not the monomania of Henry Frankenstein that drives him but a prenatural evil that seems to propel him oft with little to no emotion to the pain he is causing. However, as it is with Frankenstein – there is a line in science which you should not cross.

I though the supporting role from Bela Lugosi as the Sayer of the Law was quite good (his make-up fur was outstanding).

The cinematography of Karl Struss (Sunrise) is sublime with the chiaroscuro, the brilliant camera pans, the dialogue to the camera and the close-ups which show the combination of lighting with the awesome yet horrific make-up of the creatures.

On the Extras:

I did not particularly like the Devo interview. They were more interested in spouting political rhetoric than information on the film. I would have liked to at least heard/seen the influence on Danny Elfman whose Oingo Boingo's song "No Spill Blood" is inspired by the book and movie. It could have been a good opportunity to have interviewed music group members of House of Pain and/or Blondie as well :).

It was funny when John Landis kept stating that this was a well directed film but Erle C. Kenton was not a particularly good director but Burns and Baker would not agree. But I loved the talk between the three and could have easily seen this being twice as long as it was. There is some talk on the possible make-up techniques used for the film, who was in the gorilla suit (I agree with them that this is one of the better gorilla costumes) and who was possibly responsible for the make-up since there was no screen credit (since it is so well done this is unfortunate).

The Richard Stanley interview was particularly good because he is quite knowledgeable about the source. While he said this was the best of the three major films adapted from the book, he still wants to see a "faithful" adaptation of the novel. I don't agree with his assessment since a movie is quite a different medium from a book and the fact that this particular movie took a different title than the book so it really should be judged on its own.

I think I gleaned more information from the other interviews than from the David J. Skal interview. Did he add new information?

Now can we get a proper release of White Zombie?

• Administrator

I had originally posted this here: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?p=180027#post180027

But I thought I’d cut and paste it into this thread…

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932)- This was the first cinematic adaptation of H.G. Wells' groundbreaking novel The Island of Dr. Moreau. This is the story of a disgraced doctor who has left England amid a scandal caused by his experiments. He has set up shop on an uncharted island and is up to the devil's business trying to "speed up evoloution" to it's "natural outcome"... transforming animals into humans! :smile:

This Criterion BD release is a beaut, and was the perfect way to finally see this film after all these years. For a film made 80 years ago it was certainly risque! Some of what is shown and suggested (beastiality via a kiss and the possibility of intercourse between the Doctor's humanimals and a shipwrecked man) was censored from the film for it's theatrical runs. Though these things may be considered tame now, they caused quite an uproar back in my Great Grandfather's day. Apparently people vomited in their seats! It is still very atmospheric, eerie, and features a great cast- Charles Laughton as Moreau- giving their all, wonderful sets, and creepy creatures.

The print looks marvelous for it's age, and has been completely restored to it's uncut original length. The extras ave varied and interesting, including discussions of the film from people such as director John Landis (AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON), makeup maestro Rick Baker, director Richard Stanley (HARDWARE)and even Devo. We also discover that the original novel was written as a protest against animal vivisection! :ooh: Fascinating stuff.

This was followed by two more filmed versions. The first by Don Talor was released in 1977 and starred Michael York, Burt Lancaster and featured awesome creature makeups by Tom Burman (FOOD OF THE GODS, DEMON SEED). Kind of cheesy, but fun. The second, released in 1996, is a real mess, with only a few inspired moments and terrific creatures by the fantastic makeup guru Stan Winston (T2, ALIENS, PUMPKINHEAD). Richard Stanley was originally set to direct this troubled production and he explains a bit about his involvement.

I give the film an 8/10 and the BD itself a 10/10. Good stuff

masterofoneinchpunch
... For a film made 80 years ago it was certainly risque! Some of what is shown and suggested (beastiality via a kiss and the possibility of intercourse between the Doctor's humanimals and a shipwrecked man) was censored from the film for it's theatrical runs. ...

Pre-Hays Code films could be more risque or violent than this film. Nudity could be seen off and on in films (Ben Hur (1925), several films with Claudette Colbert though I think it was a stunt butt, The Scarlett Empress) and violence could include lopping off of body parts (such as in D.W. Griffith pre-code films; well he had nudity as well). I usually surprise people when I mention that there was nudity in a decent amount of silent films. Until the code fell apart in the 1960s the 1920s was among the more aggressive decades in film in dealing with many adult issues.

But, this film was rejected by the British censors and IMDB states it was banned until UK until July 1958.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Hey, it was released by Ronin Group remastered. I picked it up and I'm very happy with it. Great film. There's a couple of interviews with Bela on it too.

This is the second time I have seen this film. I saw it years ago on VHS on most likely a public domain copy. I have been quite eager for this release. I am seriously happy that this was made a Criterion. And I was even happier after watching it last night. It is unfortunate that this film has never quite had the popularity (it has always had a cult following) of the Universal horror films. But one of the benefits of Criterion releasing a film is that this will get more widely seen and I believe its reputation will only increase. It is among my top horror films of the 1930s alongside Bride of Frankenstein, Freaks, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Mad Love (hmmm a mad doctor theme among many of those picks).

Charles Laughton is excellent and strangely quite reserved, especially compared to many of his later performances, as Dr. Moreau. A quiet hubris masks his countenance. To him his bioengineering is nothing more than a natural extension of science where he, of course, is the architect. His hubris is a classical Shakespearean tragic characteristic and leads to his undoing. It is not the monomania of Henry Frankenstein that drives him but a prenatural evil that seems to propel him oft with little to no emotion to the pain he is causing. However, as it is with Frankenstein – there is a line in science which you should not cross.

I though the supporting role from Bela Lugosi as the Sayer of the Law was quite good (his make-up fur was outstanding).

The cinematography of Karl Struss (Sunrise) is sublime with the chiaroscuro, the brilliant camera pans, the dialogue to the camera and the close-ups which show the combination of lighting with the awesome yet horrific make-up of the creatures.

On the Extras:

I did not particularly like the Devo interview. They were more interested in spouting political rhetoric than information on the film. I would have liked to at least heard/seen the influence on Danny Elfman whose Oingo Boingo's song "No Spill Blood" is inspired by the book and movie. It could have been a good opportunity to have interviewed music group members of House of Pain and/or Blondie as well :).

It was funny when John Landis kept stating that this was a well directed film but Erle C. Kenton was not a particularly good director but Burns and Baker would not agree. But I loved the talk between the three and could have easily seen this being twice as long as it was. There is some talk on the possible make-up techniques used for the film, who was in the gorilla suit (I agree with them that this is one of the better gorilla costumes) and who was possibly responsible for the make-up since there was no screen credit (since it is so well done this is unfortunate).

The Richard Stanley interview was particularly good because he is quite knowledgeable about the source. While he said this was the best of the three major films adapted from the book, he still wants to see a "faithful" adaptation of the novel. I don't agree with his assessment since a movie is quite a different medium from a book and the fact that this particular movie took a different title than the book so it really should be judged on its own.

I think I gleaned more information from the other interviews than from the David J. Skal interview. Did he add new information?

Now can we get a proper release of White Zombie?

masterofoneinchpunch

RE: White Zombie

Hey, it was released by Ronin Group remastered. I picked it up and I'm very happy with it. Great film. There's a couple of interviews with Bela on it too.

I'll look to get it then. The R0 nature of the release made me think it was a PD or something shady.

Here's a link to Roan Group.

Archived