Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films (2014)

mpm74

If you haven’t seen Mark Hartley’s Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! or Machete Maidens Unleashed!, they're a must! If you have Netflix, both movies are currently streaming.

http://www.cityonfire.com/drafthouse-films-gets-cannon-documentary-electric-boogaloo/

I can't wait!

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted (I did a search and couldn't seem to find anything about it)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reel Power Stunts

I loved both "Not Quite Hollywood" and "Machete Maidens". Although I am a Cannon fan, I don't think the film clips in "Electric Boogaloo" will be a match for those in the earlier docus. It'll be the stories behind those films which should be interesting. I read a good book called "Hollywood A Go Go" (http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Go-Go-Account-Cannon-Phenomenon/dp/0722193890 . The Golan Globus boys had interesting financial practices...

By the way, here's a fun site for a trip down memory lane: http://www.cannon.org.uk/

Guest Markgway

I saw Not Quite Hollywood on TV. Interesting as I remember. I'm not into Filipino cinema but again if this turned up on TV I might check it out...

As a Cannon fan I'd love to see the doc on them however.....

sifu iron perm
I saw it earlier this year. It's been on Film 4 a few times.

rings a bell and just saw it advertised on some magazine for next week.

I thought it was good and enjoyed it but disliked the fact that they made out that every movie was trash, Cannon produced many classics that me and many others I know still watch to this day.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The Lemon popsicle films, do yourself a favor and seek this movies out because they might just be the best teen sex comedies ever made. Cannon fucking rules!

• Administrator

That's a great review! :bigsmile:

Question- this thread was started in 2011... was this doc in production for almost four years? :smile:

One Armed Boxer
That's a great review! :bigsmile:

Thanks KFB!

Question- this thread was started in 2011... was this doc in production for almost four years? :smile:

Good point, but then considering there's over 80 interviewees throughout the doc, I guess four years could well be considered a reasonable timeframe to have conducted them all.

Then again, it could just be that that guy mpm74 is so far ahead with his scoops that he knows about a documentary that's going to be made even before the person that's making it does.:tongue:

Watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it! :) I saw both the first Lemon Popsicle and its American remake, which to this day, still have the most messed up ending ever. I always had a love for Cannon Films. I love how some of the executives from Cannon are now responsible for bringing us the awesome works of Isaac Florentine and Scott Adkins as they founded Nu Image. 

Watched this over the weekend and really enjoyed it! :) I saw both the first Lemon Popsicle and its American remake, which to this day, still have the most messed up ending ever. I always had a love for Cannon Films. I love how some of the executives from Cannon are now responsible for bringing us the awesome works of Isaac Florentine and Scott Adkins as they founded Nu Image. 

Loved it too. Just like "Not Quite Hollywood", it got me into revisiting the films again. I remembering being a HUGE Sho Kosugi fan and although I was disappointed that he wasn't interviewed, I love the people's reaction to Ninja 3 - Domination and Franco Nero claiming that he had no idea what a ninja meant when he starred in Enter the Ninja. Haha.

Archived