Kubrick's "Lost" Film Gets US TV Screening Tonight

Karlos

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never even heard of it; much less seen it. Interesting. Will set the dvr.

Same here, bro.

From the synopsis it sounds very interesting.

Kubrick wanted all prints of it buried but thankfully some were put away.

Add to this the extra 2001 footage and the recent discovery of the removed ending to The Shining - two more things I hope get a commercial release soon.

• Administrator

Thank you for the info Karlos! You better believe I'll be setting this to record. :nerd: Wish I could somehow get it onto a disc. :smile:

DeathFuMaster
Thank you for the info Karlos! You better believe I'll be setting this to record. :nerd: Wish I could somehow get it onto a disc. :smile:

I have my DVR set as well. A lost Kubrick film? How could I not watch that? And yes, getting this onto disc would be amazing, but I'm sure it will get released on DVD and Blu-ray very soon.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay, I just got through watching this.

It's not but about an hour long. It's sort of Twilight Zone-ish. The dialogue is strange and the plot really didn't make a lot of sense to me. There's really no back story to the characters and they didn't seem to really be motivated by their.....motivations, I guess you'd say.

I can understand why Kubrick didn't want this seen. Still, it's interesting to watch simply for the fact that it's his 1st film and what he went on to do as a director is leaps and bounds above this. Anyhow, that's my take.

Okay, I just got through watching this.

It's not but about an hour long. It's sort of Twilight Zone-ish. The dialogue is strange and the plot really didn't make a lot of sense to me. There's really no back story to the characters and they didn't seem to really be motivated by their.....motivations, I guess you'd say.

I can understand why Kubrick didn't want this seen. Still, it's interesting to watch simply for the fact that it's his 1st film and what he went on to do as a director is leaps and bounds above this. Anyhow, that's my take.

I agree with this. 'The Kid' just kinda went crazy. He was meant to show how war can change you, but the portrayal wasn't very realistic. The whole film was very raw and unpolished. I could imagine Kubrick watching this and going crazy because he was such a perfectionist.

Not quite the horror of the Star Wars Holiday Special that George Lucas tried to destroy all prints of. It's just okay. But I'm glad I saw it. I mean it's Kubrick's first film, it's rare, it's an important part of film history.

i thought there were hints of Kubrick to come in some parts.

some of the sceens when the kid was alone w/ the tied up girl come to mind.

if the C.O. of the group had done a little less acting, it would of helped.

ShaOW!linDude

Yeah, the CO, though married, came across as a bit of a perv when they spotted the women; spoke glibly; and ignored any disapproval of his command decisions as though he didn't really hear them. The kid becomes unhinged but it's very sporadic. The sarge obsessed about the enemy general, thinking his only purpose for meaning is to kill him. The other guy is just along for the ride it seems. They all seem rather rather lackadaisical about being behind enemy lines, lounging about as though on a summer Sunday picnic.

Still, for the time it was made, it's pretty out there which makes it all the more a Kubrick film. I really kept expecting Rod Serling to pop up at any moment.

Archived