Jeff Speakman's The Perfect Weapon finally coming to blu-ray & dvd!

• Administrator
is this a high demand title? or just need of high quality:ooh:

IMO it's one of the best US made martial arts films, with plenty of great action, and Jeff Speakman is a cool, skilled MA. This film is what got me into escrima. The problem is that the original VHS had a real soft, kind of grainy transfer, and it's (of course) full-screen. I wish Paramount would just finally put this out letterboxed on DVD!

I know it's a VHS rip, but how's the quality?

And can anyone speak on the reliability of this site?

I have a laser rip version of PERFECT WEAPON (fullscreen)

ShaOW!linDude
Has anybody seen the extended cut? I've read about it but have never actually seen a copy.

I don't know if it was the extended cut or not but I once saw a cut aired on TV no less that contained footage of Speakman and the girl who appears at the martial arts school in the red gi at the end. She was supposed to have been a class mate and love interest I guess. At some point in the middle of the film he returns to the school and they have some dialogue in the garden. I want to say something else occurs there, too, but I can't recall because I've only saw that version the one time. Any other copy I've ever seen has never had that scene in it.

I don't know if it was the extended cut or not but I once saw a cut aired on TV no less that contained footage of Speakman and the girl who appears at the martial arts school in the red gi at the end. She was supposed to have been a class mate and love interest I guess. At some point in the middle of the film he returns to the school and they have some dialogue in the garden. I want to say something else occurs there, too, but I can't recall because I've only saw that version the one time. Any other copy I've ever seen has never had that scene in it.

She actually speaks and they share a kiss.

From what I've read the additional scenes appear in a TV cut and apparently feature scenes with Jeff Speakman and Mariska Hargitay. That might be the version you saw. The Australian DVD is available from legitimate DVD stores but looks like a bootleg to be honest. Incidentally, a few years ago I bought a replica of the tiger/dragon Kenpo ring which is worn in the movie. :bigsmile:

ShaOW!linDude
From what I've read the additional scenes appear in a TV cut and apparently feature scenes with Jeff Speakman and Mariska Hargitay.

Man, it's been so long since I've watched this. That was Mariska Hargitay? For real? Wow! I guess I just never made the connection.

Man, it's been so long since I've watched this. That was Mariska Hargitay? For real? Wow! I guess I just never made the connection.

Yes, she was hardly in the film. As I recall she was only in two scenes.

ShaOW!linDude

It's been so long since I've seen this I'm remember stuff all wrong. She's in a black gi and not a red one at the end. I forgot about the street scene in which she is wearing a red dress.

I need to see this again. Best fight is at the gym where Speakman takes on Leo Lee, James Lew, and that other dude (never can remember his name). The choreography of that fight is sooooooo cool! It builds up until it is just full tilt boogie! Love it!

Guest WuxiaFan
IMO it's one of the best US made martial arts films, with plenty of great action, and Jeff Speakman is a cool, skilled MA. This film is what got me into escrima. The problem is that the original VHS had a real soft, kind of grainy transfer, and it's (of course) full-screen. I wish Paramount would just finally put this out letterboxed on DVD!

Completely agree with my brother, KFB. I've always thought Speakman was vastly underrated, but a superb martial artist! I still have my VHS of this and STREET KNIGHT. :nerd:

This movie does not have an official release on dvd.

Paramount ought to release a 2-Disc remastered, anamorphic WS set of THE PERFECT WEAPON and STREET KNIGHT, with special features of course. I can still dream, can't I? :angel:

And can anyone speak on the reliability of this site?

If they're selling a VHS rip as a legit DVD, I wouldn't be ordering from them. But that's just me. :ooh:

ShaOW!linDude
Paramount ought to release a 2-Disc remastered, anamorphic WS set of THE PERFECT WEAPON and STREET KNIGHT, with special features of course. I can still dream, can't I? :angel::

That's what I'm talking about, dude!