The Three Stooges (2012) - Chris Diamantopoulos, Will Sasso, Sean Hayes

AlbertV

The Farrelly Brothers are at it again!!! The makers of DUMB AND DUMBER have made a film adaptation of THE THREE STOOGES. Here is the first trailer.

Z4IoUo_ZJkY

Playing the Stooges, who find themselves trying to save the orphanage they were raised in and end up in typical Stooge fashion are Chris Diamantopoulos as Moe, Sean Hayes as Larry, and Will Sasso as Curly. Jane Lynch plays Mother Superior in this one.

The film comes out on April 13...and anyone who hates JERSEY SHORE will love the end of the trailer...hehehehe

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
I think I'm going to play hackey sack with my own testicles than to sit through that abortion clinic of a movie...

In a word........Ouch!

Will Sasso cracks me up. I may watch this but I'll dvr it off a movie channel whenever it gets there.

masterofoneinchpunch

Rewatching this for the second time what I wrote in 2012 is still appropriate for my feelings of the film. I added and made modifications to my previous review below. The first time I saw this it was in the theater to an almost empty crowd in the biggest screen in the theater, this last time was on DVD.

The actors who portray the Three Stooges do quite a good job. They look like the Stooges, they sound like the Stooges and they act like the Stooges or at least a close enough facsimile. While it is not unusual to have many actors linked to a film before it comes out, this one has had some big, yet strange names like Sean Penn and Jim Carrey. Ultimately the spirit of the Stooges was served well with the actors they picked. However, the film could have used a better plot.

The idea of interlinking three episodes into the narrative akin to their more famous shorts was appropriate. The whole film was like a mixture of an Animaniacs sketch of Good Idea, Bad Idea. Larry David as a nun – that was funny and disturbing, using the cast of Jersey Shore … well that was OK but I thought it would have been better without them and it is a topical gag that will be completely unfunny in a few years. I thought taking the structure from both The Blues Brothers and Fletch were not inspired ideas.

There were several sketches that I found quite hilarious including the early on casting of the young Stooges, the worst use of ice cream to a party gone wrong. Most of them were hybrid mixes of Stooges jokes and Farrelly’s own sense of humor. There were plenty of gags and pokes and hammer hits straight from the old material, some of which get tiring after awhile and some of them are painfully funny. If there was a better plot and if more original material was used I think this could have been a very funny comedy.

I like, but not love the earlier Stooges. They were at their best after Ted Healy and before Shemp (I like Shemp more than the following two replacements after his death though) during their early Columbia years when they were at their most anarchist and most healthy. But they repeated so much of their material, even early on, that if you are new to the Stooges, you probably will enjoy them more if you do not watch them in chronological order or too many in a row.

As usual with many comedies, stick around during the credits for singing and additional comedy scenes. It did not happen right when the credits started so everybody was out of the theater except for me (I was thinking there was going to be an additional scene after the credits, but there was none).

Useless info from my old review: I saw a second version of the Dark Shadows trailer. I’m really looking forward to that film which means I’ll probably be annoyed after watching it.

This topical joke surprisingly still works several years later:

Lydia: Those 3 idiots are here!

Mac: The Kardashian sisters?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Circa 1989, Jackie looked like Moe in #238 of Cinemart.

238-1989.jpg

Wow, he kind of does. Especially the picture on the right. 

• Like 3

This is my favorite scene of the movie and yes, Larry David's Sister Mary Mengele was hilarious!

Little trivia: When Wayne Allwine, the voice of Mickey Mouse, passed away, Chris Diamantopoulos, who played Moe in the movie, was temporarily the voice of Mickey in a series of cartoon shorts. He also played the late Robin Williams in a made-for-TV biopic about the making of Mork and Mindy.

Edited by AlbertV
  • Like 4