Best MA films of 2011

DiP

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't remember seeing any MA film that came out this year.. Has it been that dry for the genre???

Aside from Yamada and BKO which I believe are 2010 films, I can't really recall any memorable MA films. Maybe Warrior. 2012 looks more promising with The Raid and Haywire.

ShaOW!linDude

Okay. I went back through my reviews 'cause I couldn't remember just what all I'd seen this year that was new. (I've slept since then, people.) Some of these have copyrights/releases of 2010 but didn't come out on dvd until 2011 which justly qualifies for me.

The Best

Clash

Bunraku

Bangkok Knockout

Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown

Legend of the Fist: the Return of Chen Zhen

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

The Meh

Tekken

The Last Kung Fu Monk

Game Of Death (Wesley Snipes)

Hunt To Kill

The Worst

Clash Of Empires

Freerunner

Supreme Champion

If we're classing "Bangkok Knockout," I would certainly say that. However, as I haven't seen any of Donnie Yen's efforts this year or many others, I'll say that "Shaolin" takes my top spot.

Guest Yi-Long

People people people people people.... you are all unworthy of visiting this forum, due to forgetting THE Kung Fu epic that came out THIS year, which will be remembered for centuries from now... :Ayociexp122:

Kung

Fu

Panda

Now bow your heads in shame. :Ayociexp120:

edit: This would have worked a lot better if this forum had entered the 21st century and would allow spoiler-tags... :Ayociexp121:

Awesome

Never Back Down 2: The Beatdown

BKO: Bangkok Knockout

Shaolin

Pretty Good

Bunraku

Kung Fu Panda 2

Fist 2 Fist

Could Have Been Better

Arena

Freerunner

Should Have Not Been Made

Supreme Champion

These were the ones I've seen

The best new movies I've seen this year for the first time that are fairly recent if not made in 2011 but from the last few years would be…Bad Blood and Undisputed 3. There's lots of new movies I haven't seenyet but of the newer titles I have seen that I haven't mentioned, I've been really rather disappointed.:squigglemouth: It's not been a good year for martial arts cinema from what I've seen. Who knows that might change when I see a few more from 2011.

For me the highlight 2011 has been discovering older modern martial arts cinema that I hadn't had a chance to see before and being opened up to the Shaw Bros vault, especially the Venoms movies that have been nothing but spectacular. The Venoms owned 2011 for me.:xd:

OpiumKungFuCracker
13 Assassins is easily the best MA film of 2011.

Although it came out in 2010 for some reason, I saw it in theaters in '11 in Houston... Easily the best movie of the year for me but isn't it classified as a jidaigeki/samurai movie and not MA??

Although it came out in 2010 for some reason, I saw it in theaters in '11 in Houston... Easily the best movie of the year for me but isn't it classified as a jidaigeki/samurai movie and not MA??

I think that its probably considered both. It is classified on both Amazon and ebay as a martial arts movie.

I think that its probably considered both. It is classified on both Amazon and ebay as a martial arts movie.

then again, my dead turtle has more authority labelling movies by genre than amazon/ebay do :wink:

yet i kinda agree in a way. in my movie list, jidai geki is labelled as either 'drama' OR 'martial arts', most times depending on the ratio of action elements.

samurai battle tactics and wielding a katana expertly is a martial art after all.

although whenever i watch a samurai flick, i most definitely approach it as a drama first and foremost. otherwise it would be an underwhelming experience.

ps: "wuxia" and "shaolin" for me.

do BKO and legend is born go back to 2010 ? if not, i really liked both of them a lot for what they are.

woman knight of mirror lake had potential to be great. shame it aint. still a decent one nonetheless.

"Kung Fu Panda 2" was absolutely dismal.

if u refer to the mood of the flick, yes.

if u refer to the quality of it, i disagree. although i needed a good 15, 20 mins to really get into it. at first i was kinda irritated how hard it was for me to go with the awesome flow, as it didnt appear to be awesome at all this time around.

in the end, i felt the movie was 10-20 mins too short & i really dug it.

lord shen`s a great villain and nicely derived from the arrogant sophisticated fearsome gung fu baddie as we know em from countless old skoolies.

michelle`s soothsayer`s a nice character as well and hollywood should have her narrate tons of their movies. she does that wonderfully.

if u refer to the mood of the flick, yes.

if u refer to the quality of it, i disagree. although i needed a good 15, 20 mins to really get into it. at first i was kinda irritated how hard it was for me to go with the awesome flow, as it didnt appear to be awesome at all this time around.

in the end, i felt the movie was 10-20 mins too short & i really dug it.

lord shen`s a great villain and nicely derived from the arrogant sophisticated fearsome gung fu baddie as we know em from countless old skoolies.

michelle`s soothsayer`s a nice character as well and hollywood should have her narrate tons of their movies. she does that wonderfully.

I agree that the characters were, as in the previous film, fantastic (other than Po's father). However, the plot and gags fell flat. I'm surprised you found it to be too short. I was actually itching for it to end and was relieved to see the final credits roll.

No 1- Wu Xia...classic Donnie Yen flik that pisses over Ip Man 2, nice to see Donnie bring a touch of Hung Gar in there too-and Auntie who is STILL a lucky girl because I WOULD...and Wang Yu STILL the hardest man in kung fu fliks!!!

No 2- The Lost Bladesman-one of Donnie's best performances and some ruffhouse Kwan Do work, especially that alleyway scene with Andy On. Donnie looking like a Venom too!!!

No 3- Shaolin- thought it would be complete crap, but was surprised how good it was!!! Andy Lau still got it.....plus Jackie Chan in a great movie???....SHOCKER!!!

Also kudos to Michael Jai White for his TWO great movies this year- Black Dynamite- the funniest flik of the year and the sight of Tricky Dicky with chuckers...awesome.

Second is Never Back Down 2-some great action in there especially Michael Jai's handcuff scene, and nicely directed too!!

Archived