Disappointed on a couple Shaw sequels...

Tosh

Watched a couple long awaited Shaw sequels - Angry Guest and Delightful Forest, both of which didn't live up to the originals for me.

Delightful Forest was one I been looking forward to for a long time, Tiger Killer is one of the best Shaw movies ever made so to my dismay the sequel fell short, they kind of made Wu Song into a bit of a dick in DF, which is kind of hard to comprehend as he's such an enduring character in Tiger Killer, his decision making was frustrating and I could never get behind the people he was helping as they seemed just as bad as the villains. Was they trying to make him into some kind of anti-hero in DF?

Angry Guest was, well, pretty horrible, from the opening scene Chiang looks ridiculous, he's slow and has no form, Ti Lung looks pretty good doing some Muay Thai kicks but Kurata looks the strongest and I have to wonder if they cut his intro short as he outshined both of them, Kurata was wasted in this(as was Bolo,) thank god LKL utilized his talents later. In one of the dumbest fight scenes I ever seen, after Lung and Chiang beat the hell out of 10-12 people, they jump in bulldozers to finish out the remaining two:xd: Duel of Fists had the Thai setting that worked to it's advantage, AG, beyond a couple shots of 70's Tokyo didn't have the same feel. It was great to see Cheh in his own movie, would of like to seen him go at it at the end with Kurata.

All in all I might have enjoyed these movies better if they weren't attached to two fantastic SB classics. I'll give both another viewing at some point to see if they grow on me, what does everyone else think? I'm I missing some glaring reason why I should of enjoyed these better?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember being pleasantly surprised when I saw ANGRY GUEST, a movie that was deemed to be one of Chang’s sub-par efforts. Loved the young Kurata and thought of this as a racy, thoroughly entertaining basher (despite some sloppy fight choreo and, yeah, that bulldozer ending was pretty dumb…). Not that it can be considered an equal to DUEL OF FISTS though….

As far as DELIGHTFUL FOREST is concerned: from the opening punch-out to the stuntmen flying into the vine vats to the final written-in-blood characters on the white wall… a bonafide classic in my books!

i hear ya on angry guest. then again, i didnt like duel of fists either.

the premise simply aint exactly my cup of tea and i can only appreciate these kinda flicks [ - > early 70s productions + contemporary/modern settings + no "classic kf" (like hung gar, choy lay fut, wing tsun etc) related MA choreo] if they are wickedly awesome in all their other aspects. imo, neither DoF or AG are. not the end of the world.

i`ve had similar issues with delightful forest as tosh, but i do like that flick. tiger killer is a classier production (= better screenplay), but its drama while DF is a lot heavier on the MA aspects, hence i prefer DF, being the gung fu-natic that i am.

both are definitely worth having in the SB collection.

I'm kind of just the opposite of Jmungus---I love the early 70s modern-day Shaw bashers even if they're NOT very good. :wink: So yeah, I enjoyed Angry Guest, although I'll agree it's not a masterpiece.

I haven't watched Delightful Forest in a while, but I remembered liking that one a lot. Haven't seen Tiger Killer, so I can't compare it.

They are both ok films, feeding the desires of those who like these types of films. Delightful Forest has a great opening fight between Ti Lung and Liu Chia Yung. Very violent!

I loved Delightful Forest. Easily my favorite new discovery since ivl started releasing the catalog. I found very few genuine surprises in movies I hadn't already seen (channel 5 glory days!!!). I found that many of the great movie titles I'd waited 30 years to see were somewhat underwhelming. Let me correct that, and say Delightful Forest, Human Lanterns and The Sentimental Swordsman were great.

Always thought Tiger Killer was really mediocre--a Shaws movie with Opera-acting (liked the end fight with Ti Lung and Lau Wing though...). Liked the director Li Han Hsiang's Emperor Chien Lung series of movies though, coz he always gave Auntie Hui Ying Hung a standout fight in each movie...

Duel of Fists, Angry Guest, Delightful Forest...loved those movies for decades now, since I had them on bootleg video-even managed to watch Delightful multiple times in German without Subs it was so good!!!

My least fave sequel is probably Return of Bastard Swordsman- NOT because it's bad, it just CANNOT live up to the original in any way and I was disapointed when I saw it on Korean bootleg many moons ago....still had to pick up the Celestial box-set of both movies in HK though!!!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Tosh, I'm pretty surprised you don't appreciate Delightful Forest! It's film I have to forward to all my favorite parts when I view it. The drinking on the way to Delightful Forest, then how he arrives and the ensuing fight, are just classic. I'm sorry, but Tiger Killer just annoys me. What was she doing with him (Ku Feng) in the first place? The fight with the tiger is just childish filming as well. That type of scene can be edited so as to at least have some sort of semblence to realism. And yes, the opening fight scene between Liu Chia Yung and Ti Lung is one of the best in the genre, I've watched my favorite scenes in Delightful forest possibly two dozen times in the last twelve months. Te blue ray is great too. My store bought copy was defective and literally within ten days of notifying them via email I recieved my corrected copy.

Tosh, I'm pretty surprised you don't appreciate Delightful Forest! It's film I have to forward to all my favorite parts when I view it. The drinking on the way to Delightful Forest, then how he arrives and the ensuing fight, are just classic. I'm sorry, but Tiger Killer just annoys me. What was she doing with him (Ku Feng) in the first place? The fight with the tiger is just childish filming as well. That type of scene can be edited so as to at least have some sort of semblence to realism. And yes, the opening fight scene between Liu Chia Yung and Ti Lung is one of the best in the genre, I've watched my favorite scenes in Delightful forest possibly two dozen times in the last twelve months. Te blue ray is great too. My store bought copy was defective and literally within ten days of notifying them via email I recieved my corrected copy.

I guess I'm on the otherside of the fence, Ku Feng was married off to punish her by an old woman with political power after finding her husband screwing the maid. The one problem I have with this story is the woman gets rapped but is thought to be a whore? You have to feel some empathy for the woman.

The Tiger scene? I have a love for these animal vs human fight scenes and I though this one ranked up there with Sonny Chiba handing a bull his ass in Karate Bull Fighter (if you want something bad check out the bear fight in Karate Bear Fighter:xd:,) the drinking scene leading up to that fight was very endearing and I thought the part of him drinking all those bowls going to Delightful Forest was just trying to one-up the first one. I'll have to rewatch DF again but I definitely liked Wu Song's character in TG.

Angry Guest isn't so surprising, I loved Duel of Fists but once again Chiang is a weak link, a 1971 Shaw film portraying Muay Thai! The fights between Lung and Feng are what draws me with the 70's Thai setting, I love this movie, to bad they didn't put Chen Kuan Tai in Chiangs place, wishful thinking:angel:

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Ya, the drinking in the beginning of Tiger Killer is actually my favorite part of the film. There are some cool moments in the film. I just love Delightful Forest.

To clarify, Delightful Forest came out in '72, and Tiger Killer was released ten years later. Therefore, TK is a prequel to DF. (In addition, DF is a prequel to '72's The Water Margin.)

That said, DF is geared to action, while TK has the emphasis more on drama, but I find much to like in both.:bigsmile:

DF and TK are great just to watch Ti Lung scream out and chase Ximen Qing!! You figure he must really hate this guy, lol

instant noodles

Tiger Killer is one of worst Shaws I have ever seen. I did not read any reviews, I was expecting something totally different...only one fight in the end is not enough. But movie sucks so much on drama level too, story completely uninteresting. And fight with tiger? Well, vengeanceofhumanlanterns pretty much said everything about it..

Delightful forest is masterpiece, tiger I would not recommend even for ti lung completists.

Even sets are not as good as in most other shaw productions.

Tiger Killer is one of worst Shaws I have ever seen. I did not read any reviews, I was expecting something totally different...only one fight in the end is not enough. But movie sucks so much on drama level too, story completely uninteresting. And fight with tiger? Well, vengeanceofhumanlanterns pretty much said everything about it..

Delightful forest is masterpiece, tiger I would not recommend even for ti lung completists.

I never heard anyone hate the drama in Tiger Killer, that's crazy talk, one of Ku Feng's most powerful roles, and that's saying a lot! And I'm pretty sure they reused(or used before) those sets in Tiger Killer in a dozen or more other Shaw movies so I'm not sure where your coming from on the production values. But if you were looking for blood and guts you were watching the wrong movie, 5 Element Ninjas it is not.

The Tiger is part of the legend of Wu Song, I guess if it was done today they would use a cg tiger - blah.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Not just because I feel this way about these two films, but instant noodles is keepin it pretty real, in regards to comparing these particular films. I never understood the rave about Tiger Killer and never will. Ku Feng does a good job with walkin around on his knees, but the storyline is just stupid and completely unbelievable. The tiger killing scene is on par with a circus act meant for little kids. Just ridiculous! Not tryin to offend anyone, but bad cheese is bad cheese. Like I said before, the drinking in the beginning of Tiger Killer is the only cool scene in the movie, other than the last (only) fight scene.

Wasn't Ku Feng nominated for an award for his performance here? I mean the film was made in the late 70's so it was pretty to par with other fare. Tanny was especially good and sexy here; even Bey Logan spoke of her performance. The scene with the tiger was better than the lion in TOWER OF DEATH. If it's not your cup to tea, don't drink. I didn't hear anyone saying it was Merlot.

Archived