Pops & crew demo

rdenn

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo chunky

that brightened up my sunday morning!!!

Best Demo....ever!!! Then to top it off a touch of Pops shapeswork...in oldschool VHs Qual...classic!!!

Yo chunky

that brightened up my sunday morning!!!

Best Demo....ever!!! Then to top it off a touch of Pops shapeswork...in oldschool VHs Qual...classic!!!

Rdenn, this is So awesome~! I am like the hugest lau kar leung ban fan ever! I just think they are superb and the best of the best. I really liked all of them, Yuen Tak's demo was awesome.

Thanks Rdenn for reupload the video/footage, is a precious source for all of us. I will keep it save, burning it in a dvd or cd and under seven keys! :tongue:

ShaOW!linDude

That was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cool, bro! Thanks tons!!!!! That has to be one of the best rope dart demos ever.

That clip is 8 mins. long and I'd pay $20 for that (which equates to $2.50 per min.). Footage like that should've been archived and amassed and marketed. Good grief! There's no telling some of the cool stuff like this that'll never see the light of day.

cool, im trying to upload that other footage of pops where some youngster is auditiong for lau kar leung, but the dvd is damaged, trying to get it fiixed.

It's an amazing demonstration so thanks for that!!

However, if it's a live demonstration, why did they add sound effects?

Why the fuck has that got 5 dislikes on youtube? Tragic.

Anyhoo, posted this before, but:

Order is:

Lau Kar Wing - rope dart

Hsiao Hou - axe

Yuen Tak - double knives

Fu Sheng - monk's spade

Lau Kar Fei - tiger fork

Adam Cheng - cut out!

Robert Mak - spear

Yuen Tak - double hammers

Kara - straight sword

Lau Kar Fei - snake spear

Yuen Tak - baton

Cheung Chin Pang - pole

Fu Sheng - double hook blades

Ching Chu - chain whip

Hsiao Hou - shield/blade

Yang Jing Jing - double blades

Lau Kar Wing - kwan do

Lau Kar Leung - badassary.

Now I'm getting a bit deeper into the Lau martials I'm getting a better grasp on what LKL's doing in his demo since this last got upped on the forum; more than just badassery... love this stuff, so, bit of chat, he starts with the opening salute & stand up bridging section from the Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen aka Tiger/Crane form, 2nd treasure of the hung gar treasure sets (LKL focuses on 3 predominantly for his hung kuen system), that's the bit that's rinsed out, next he does a bit I'm not totally sure about, it kind of looks a bit like a tiny section of Lam Sai Wing's arrow palm stuff (I guess similar principle) with a bit of the fu hok stuff... I'm tempted to think he goes into a tiny bit of the Fah Kuen (plum fist) form for a mo after this (that arrow palm stuff - bit more bent wrist though - may constitute a bit before also, don't know haven't learnt it yet; if it isn't it looks similarly principled) - you see him do a bit of the same thing demo-ing at start in that clip with Sammo & that eventual big calligraphy brush. LKL has his fah kuen form taught after the Iron Wire & holds it in high regard, it's a set pretty much unique to his holding, not to be confused with the more basic fah kuen found throughout typical hung kuen. LKL's uniquely different version teaches the speed & continuous striking he has - multiples fast, etc.., I haven't learnt it, too advanced for me, but have been taught a couple of principles & seen LKL demo it in very recent footage, It fits. I could be wrong, time & learning will tell, but the principles I think fit. I think he then does a little tong long mantis style. For fact he was definitely taught tong long mantis (think the movie Shaolin Mantis also) style by Shek Kin (Mr Han man)... don't know if that's it, but that's got to be some of the heritage there. What do we reckon next? Looks like some of that monkey stuff to me, that Feng Hou stuff, I don't know where this came from, I vaguely remember reading about LKL learning from some dude at a harbour, maybe on this forum, I'll have to harass my teacher to find out some. Anyone know anything? Before he finishes he definitely busts out some Choi Lee Fut Sup Gee form. The meat of it. Love this one, managed to learn it, pretty intense, develops speed, power, range, body mechanics, so good, also, hard. Seems lots of Choi Lee Fut stylists do a sup gee (means 'cross character' for the way it moves), but only Lau family have this one. I've trawled & trawled all sorts to find similar, but seems only Lau lineage has it. I guess it must have come from LKL's father Lau Jaam as the only other place I've ever seen any is similar section from a Taiwanese lineage descended from Lau Jaam in demo. I don't know where Lau Jaam got it, but know he learnt CLF as a youth - very efficient set, don't know if from then or later - taught as a main pillar of LKL's curriculum. You can see part of the set from LKL at start of My Young Auntie, you can see the start of the set from Fu Sheng at start of Men From The Monastery, you can also see Dennis To Yu Hang demonstrate a few parts in his greenscreen section of that recent crappy CLF movie... at least he's keeping the LKL martials alive on screen! LKL then does a bit of butterfly palm, typical throughout the hung kuen sets, salute & there you go, badassery. My understanding is prone to be basic, might change as it builds. Great clip!

Why the fuck has that got 5 dislikes on youtube? Tragic

Cos they think that bad quality means bad footage. Which is stupid cos rares are hardly ever going to look like celestial remastered.

Pops learned Fung Ho Kuen from a guy in a market near his first kwoon in Macao, which, according to his student Mark Houghton, Pops opened when he was 13 years old. Was lucky enough in October 2004 to get shown a little from Pops's nephew Lau Kar Yung on the last night of his, and Mark Houghton's, week long visit to my teacher's kwoon.

Hey Peri

if your going to ask your teacher something...ask him about Pops's health coz one of my (Hak Ka) kung fu brothers just came back from HK and told me some very bad news and I'd like to know if it's true or bullshit!!

I have seen some recent photographs where Lau kar Leung Sifu was a guest at a banquet of a gung fu school in HK..just a few months ago...I was happy to see that hes still getting out there...

Cos they think that bad quality means bad footage. Which is stupid cos rares are hardly ever going to look like celestial remastered.

I really think there's a different reason as someone keeps giving a thumbs down on all of my shaw brothers LKL - Hsiao Hou clips. My clips have been there for months (with the exception of the two new ones) then all of a sudden, someone went and gave all the videos a thumbs down. Every single one of them, and there are at least three or four negative rankings on some videos that happened over night when the two new videos were uploaded.

The same happens for my clip of HH Lady is the Boss clip. The first one took two thumbs down right away. I ended up moving that video and uploading one with better quality a few months later (and the quality on the first one wasn't even bad). Within days, two thumbs down rankings appeared and no more after that.

Now after months of being there, there's a sudden burst of negative activity in a span of one or two days resulting in negative ranks on all of the videos. I don't really care about the rankings, which is why I didn't whine about them. The videos are not there for the rankings, they are there for people to see, enjoy, and learn, which is what most people do. Hopefully to add to their collection or begin a collection and interest in kung fu movies.

Why the fuck has that got 5 dislikes on youtube? Tragic.

Anyhoo, posted this before, but:

Order is:

Lau Kar Wing - rope dart

Hsiao Hou - axe

Yuen Tak - double knives

Fu Sheng - monk's spade

Lau Kar Fei - tiger fork

Adam Cheng - cut out!

Robert Mak - spear

Yuen Tak - double hammers

Kara - straight sword

Lau Kar Fei - snake spear

Yuen Tak - baton

Cheung Chin Pang - pole

Fu Sheng - double hook blades

Ching Chu - chain whip

Hsiao Hou - shield/blade

Yang Jing Jing - double blades

Lau Kar Wing - kwan do

Lau Kar Leung - badassary.

Now I'm getting a bit deeper into the Lau martials I'm getting a better grasp on what LKL's doing in his demo since this last got upped on the forum; more than just badassery... love this stuff, so, bit of chat, he starts with the opening salute & stand up bridging section from the Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen aka Tiger/Crane form, 2nd treasure of the hung gar treasure sets (LKL focuses on 3 predominantly for his hung kuen system), that's the bit that's rinsed out, next he does a bit I'm not totally sure about, it kind of looks a bit like a tiny section of Lam Sai Wing's arrow palm stuff (I guess similar principle) with a bit of the fu hok stuff... I'm tempted to think he goes into a tiny bit of the Fah Kuen (plum fist) form for a mo after this (that arrow palm stuff - bit more bent wrist though - may constitute a bit before also, don't know haven't learnt it yet; if it isn't it looks similarly principled) - you see him do a bit of the same thing demo-ing at start in that clip with Sammo & that eventual big calligraphy brush. LKL has his fah kuen form taught after the Iron Wire & holds it in high regard, it's a set pretty much unique to his holding, not to be confused with the more basic fah kuen found throughout typical hung kuen. LKL's uniquely different version teaches the speed & continuous striking he has - multiples fast, etc.., I haven't learnt it, too advanced for me, but have been taught a couple of principles & seen LKL demo it in very recent footage, It fits. I could be wrong, time & learning will tell, but the principles I think fit. I think he then does a little tong long mantis style. For fact he was definitely taught tong long mantis (think the movie Shaolin Mantis also) style by Shek Kin (Mr Han man)... don't know if that's it, but that's got to be some of the heritage there. What do we reckon next? Looks like some of that monkey stuff to me, that Feng Hou stuff, I don't know where this came from, I vaguely remember reading about LKL learning from some dude at a harbour, maybe on this forum, I'll have to harass my teacher to find out some. Anyone know anything? Before he finishes he definitely busts out some Choi Lee Fut Sup Gee form. The meat of it. Love this one, managed to learn it, pretty intense, develops speed, power, range, body mechanics, so good, also, hard. Seems lots of Choi Lee Fut stylists do a sup gee (means 'cross character' for the way it moves), but only Lau family have this one. I've trawled & trawled all sorts to find similar, but seems only Lau lineage has it. I guess it must have come from LKL's father Lau Jaam as the only other place I've ever seen any is similar section from a Taiwanese lineage descended from Lau Jaam in demo. I don't know where Lau Jaam got it, but know he learnt CLF as a youth - very efficient set, don't know if from then or later - taught as a main pillar of LKL's curriculum. You can see part of the set from LKL at start of My Young Auntie, you can see the start of the set from Fu Sheng at start of Men From The Monastery, you can also see Dennis To Yu Hang demonstrate a few parts in his greenscreen section of that recent crappy CLF movie... at least he's keeping the LKL martials alive on screen! LKL then does a bit of butterfly palm, typical throughout the hung kuen sets, salute & there you go, badassery. My understanding is prone to be basic, might change as it builds. Great clip!

Excellent post. And thanks for writing out which person was doing what. Sometimes I could make out the face, sometimes I could not. I did not realize Cheung Chin Pang was in it and Robert Mak. I wasn't sure if it was him at first but thought it looked like him.

Excellent! They are speaking Cantonese, but filming the movie in Mandarin. The narrator almost sounds like he is speaking Korean. Poor Gordon Liu, he looked miserable. And hot. Kara Hui, I thought it funny that she looked so carefree and guys had serious expressions on their faces.

LKL watches every single move so astutely. You can just see the wheels churning.

Isn't everyone in the clip just uniformly excellent - not a slip up! Who knows what happened on AC's bit... it's real hard to give the quality those guys were that day, faultless show. Yuen Tak was feeling it that day!

PJnr, just saw my Si Fu back this weekend from HK, no bad news on LKL, is ok, mentioned the banquet Frank did, etc.... don't know why you heard otherwise....

Isn't everyone in the clip just uniformly excellent - not a slip up! Who knows what happened on AC's bit... it's real hard to give the quality those guys were that day, faultless show. Yuen Tak was feeling it that day!

This is exactly the reason why I like this group as much as I do. Yuen Tak was awesome. I expect no less since he was one of the seven little fortunes. Don't know why his career was not as great as Jackie Chan's or the others. Although, he did very well behind the scenes after Shaw. All of the guys were perfect. I really wish Adam Cheng wasn't cut from the presentation.

I wonder if AC made a slip up? Even just a little & got cut out? Who knows. Their skill levels are awesome but they're also only human & anything can factor - there used to be a Tong Gaai stage demo clip on youtube (would love to see that again!!!!), I don't doubt that dude one bit, but there was a slip up on that where TG got his weapon entangled in another guys feet or the floor by mistake or something iirc & it fluffed it. maybe AC's bit was like that?

Anyhoo - Ching Chu - what a beast with that chain whip. I really rate him - his showing in Kung Fu Genius alone puts him in the top echelon imo - the above clip confirms things!

I wonder if AC made a slip up? Even just a little & got cut out? Who knows. Their skill levels are awesome but they're also only human & anything can factor - there used to be a Tong Gaai stage demo clip on youtube (would love to see that again!!!!), I don't doubt that dude one bit, but there was a slip up on that where TG got his weapon entangled in another guys feet or the floor by mistake or something iirc & it fluffed it. maybe AC's bit was like that?

Anyhoo - Ching Chu - what a beast with that chain whip. I really rate him - his showing in Kung Fu Genius alone puts him in the top echelon imo - the above clip confirms things!

Ching Chu was also a former opera school student. He didn't get many lead roles and I never understood why. I remember the biggest part that I saw him in was in Martial Club as the villain's son. He was also an acrobat and doubled for LKL in many of his movies.

I wonder if AC made a slip up? !

the original person who taped this footage was not a adam cheng fan thats why it was cut out, and adam slipping up on a sword form... never ..

Enough of my crazy speculating then. Huge thanks to whoever taped that, but how can you cut out AC. They hate him that much??

Hey Rdenn, you know anything about that Tong Gaai demo I mentioned earlier? Used to be on youtube... was that one you put up? Would like to catch that again - if not your's might even still be up, no idea what the link was - time ago. Anyone?

Archived