The 'Rurouni Kenshin' Trilogy

AlbertV

Noelle Shadow Kick
Twitch have recently posted a review for the first sequel, 'Kyoto Inferno', and it seems to be a positive improvement on the first -

http://twitchfilm.com/2014/09/review-rurouni-kenshin-kyoto-inferno-delivers-grand-thirlls.html

Man, I'm looking forward to this one so much. But I don't know how I'll see it! I saw the first one at a film fest when it came out, but it hasn't been released in the US so I don't know how I'll see these next two!

I'm too big a fan to watch one in bad quality or with bad subtitles, I want a good version!

Wish WB would get their shit together and distribute these damn movies in the US.

Man, I'm looking forward to this one so much. But I don't know how I'll see it! I saw the first one at a film fest when it came out, but it hasn't been released in the US so I don't know how I'll see these next two!

I'm too big a fan to watch one in bad quality or with bad subtitles, I want a good version!

Wish WB would get their shit together and distribute these damn movies in the US.

Right, I forgot these were Warner Bros. films. I always assumed the Japanese were asking for too high prices, but with WB as the producer it makes no sense they haven't released it in the US.

You could just get the UK BD, though, supposed to be region free, too

- www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EZQOJBQ/

Two times I almost went to see the second film already... both times I felt too exhausted after Tokyo Tribes, though (I know, that's no excuse, I watched 6 movies a week ago on Saturday in Tokyo :tongue: )

I've heard good things about the film. Supposed to be better than the first.

Went to see Kyoto Inferno. Found it to be an instantly forgettable teen opera. Pretty idols everywhere, uninspired action, bland Hollywood-style score, and a constant feeling that you’ve seen these scenes done so much better with real actors 40-50 years ago.

The first film was ok, especially the action scenes, despite many of the same flaws, but this one just bored me. And I hate to see the only talented cast member, Yu Aoi, wasted like this.

75-80% of the audience were women, probably came to see Takeru Sato. Makes sense.

Went to see Kyoto Inferno. Found it to be an instantly forgettable teen opera. Pretty idols everywhere, uninspired action, bland Hollywood-style score, and a constant feeling that you’ve seen these scenes done so much better with real actors 40-50 years ago.

The first film was ok, especially the action scenes, despite many of the same flaws, but this one just bored me. And I hate to see the only talented cast member, Yu Aoi, wasted like this.

75-80% of the audience were women, probably came to see Takeru Sato. Makes sense.

This film at least makes money in the box office when most chanbara or jidaigegki eiga are a sure bomb. Teen operas are the same shit that marvel is doing with their crappy superhero movies and that´s a global phenomenon.

This film at least makes money in the box office when most chanbara or jidaigegki eiga are a sure bomb. Teen operas are the same shit that marvel is doing with their crappy superhero movies and that´s a global phenomenon.

I haven't seen any of the Marvel movies (except the older ones, Punisher and Blade) - and proud of that :tongue:

In all honestly, many people have said good things about Kyoto Inferno, though I have no idea what they're talking about...

Yes, they're making lots of money. The release strategy seems to have worked. The 2nd film hit the theaters in early August, and the 3rd one in mid September. The 2nd film opened at no.1 place, went down to no.7 after a month but came back to no.3 a week before the third film was released. Obviously the release of the 3rd film boosted the box office of the 2nd movie as well. At the moment, the 3rd film is no.1 and the 2nd one is no. 7 again.

edit: the third film seems to be doing really well at the box office. It's starting its second week on Saturday, and the local theaters are only increasing the number of screenings per day. It's playing in two bigass multiplexes here and both of them are screening it on two different screens at the same time all day long.

When are they getting released and I heard there not going to have English subtitles?

You mean on DVD and BD in Japan? No announcement yet. And probably no subs.

Thanks for the review. But I'm in neither demographic and enjoyed the first 1 A+ as much. For me it's how close they are to the source material from the manga and anime. And they are doing a spot on job. To be fair to the choreography, the Kitana battle with Jin-E and Kenshin is pretty unrivalled to date imo (haven't seen the sequels yet).

I have the 1st movie on BR and it has English subtitles. So I'm hoping they release these also with subtitles.

From the timeline of the first film. August 2012 in theaters. Mid December for the Blu Ray Release online with English subtitles. If they won't sub it, fans will. It's like that for every Japanese release. And power to them, they don't get caught up in the hype and over glamorizing their work. Japan is the only audience they are concerned with. This is why even with a WB distributor we won't see these in the states. I wondered why but it makes $en$e. People who will watch in theaters will buy the blu ray/dvd. So no middle man and get the $ from those who will buy it. One of the reasons you don't see Japanese cam bootlegs knocking about.

edit = The gap between the december release from Japan and the official blu ray with subs is a very small window ,btw!

I hate how so many of these Japanese movies get released with no subs. I feel they lose so many customers. I'm still waiting for so many movies to be released with English subs.. Well the wait continues.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

When I saw the previous film, Kyoto Inferno, I said it felt like a bloated teen opera version of something that has been done before with real actors. The same could be said about this slightly superior closing instalment. The highlight of the film comes during the last 45 minutes which feature some terrific action and wirework shot in relatively long takes (minus the burning sword, which was just a dumb idea). Unfortunately it is preceded by 90 minutes of pretty plastic idol action melodrama (with admittedly fine production values). Fans of the series should be pleased; 1960's and 1970's swordplay aficionados probably less so.

I'm a big Rurouni Kenshin fan, love the series and the manga. I really love the live action treatment of these films, the changes that they have done work so well that it doesnt detract at all or lessen the story one bit. Expertly directed and the action is second to none in terms of such fast paced japanese sword play.

Kyoto Inferno is a great installment to the series and the soundtrack is equally amazing, I may be laying the praise on thick haha but I really enjoyed the intensity and portrayal of the characters,cast and crew did a great job. Now I still have yet to see the final installment which I am kicking myself for missing the theatrical run.

I may meet Otomo when I am in Japan soon, Try get him to make Jinchuu Arc lol.

Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno will be released in Hong Kong on DVD (Region 3) and blu-ray (Region A) on 1/22/2015. English subtitles included.

Well the Rurouni Kenshin Trilogy is not only the best martial arts trilogy of all time but now my favorite trilogy of any genre - over Star Wars and The Matrix. The best Martial Arts film of 2014 and many years before that.

The martial arts, the story, the acting by EVERY character all A+. The set designs remind me of the Shaw Brothers Studio days. The choreography I have seen nothing like that before - especially with the swordplay. Alot of hand to hand combat as well. Man they just got everything right. There are many films that bastardize the action genre by over glamorizing violence with no end in site setting proper adaptation and credibility to the side. The Rurouni Kenshin films is not among them.

ShaOW!linDude
Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno will be released in Hong Kong on DVD (Region 3) and blu-ray (Region A) on 1/22/2015. English subtitles included.

That's the US, isn't it?

Just set my pre order. I was not the biggest fan of the first one. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the hell out of it, but the second and third were way better. I watched the second and third with "fan made" subs and it seemed like some parts were missing. I can't wait to get all three and have myself a nice little marathon

Yea I ordered the DVD which came out a week earlier than the Blu Ray, so proper subs. Most people forget and are stuck waiting for the Blu Ray. The set is so awesome it's worth the Double Dip. Then there will be the 3 disc blu ray later I'm sure which is already a buy given how the 1st boxed set was when it first came out.

I defy anyone to name a film better than these - martial arts / period piece or both.