The 'Rurouni Kenshin' Trilogy

AlbertV

Rurouni+Kenshin+Himura-Hitokiri+Battousai-poster2.jpg

Just giving some more information on a post I did a few months ago on the main page.

For those who enjoyed the anime RUROUNI KENSHIN, which had been broadcast a year or two ago on Adult Swim, a live action film is currently shooting in Japan for a release next year.

Keishi Ohtomo is directing the film. Playing the X-scarred samurai warrior Kenshin is Takeru Satoh, who is best known for two things in Japan: the lead role in KAMEN RIDER DEN-O and his constant appearances in Japanese commercials for Lotte Fit's chewing gum (They are fun to watch). The supporting cast includes Emi Takei, Yu Aoi, Yosuke Eguchi, Teruyuki Kagawa, and Koji Kikkawa.

Here's one of the Lotte Fit's CMs starring Kenshin himself, Takeru Satoh

-jutvlmci1Q

I am really looking foward to this. I have been a fan of the manga ever since reading it in Shonen Jumpand I have since collected ever issue I could find. I hope they do it the justice it deserves.

Also, glad an American company is not making it or we would probably get another disaster like Dragon Ball:Evolution.

Let's get some sources on this one. I have seen the same information over the last year. But no official word on the production.

I agree, from the Manga to Anime - some was lost. I really like the Kyoto arc. Most miniseries - animated or live action - don't get as good as that.

I'd expect Japan to not push for a live action. The show and its creators took a deep pride in their work. Really amazing stuff. And to bunch that in a 2 hour film? Hmmm.

Now the first film (animated) Trust and Betrayal just got a Blu Ray release running at $100!

Maybe if the original writers and creators of the anime series were on board could the film be a hit?

Production has already started, and it looks really good. It's slated for an August 25 release in Japan.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-11-30/live-action-rurouni-kenshin-film-image-published

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-12-02/more-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-film-images-released

kenshin-1.jpg

It also coincides with the new two part OVA that's coming out. It's a remake of the Kyoto arc; the first part is going to play in Japanese theaters later this month:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-28/new-rurouni-kenshin-anime-part-i-promo-video-streamed

bamenl_06.jpg

ShaOW!linDude

Man, I hope this has some fantastic swordplay in this. I'm excited to learn about this but reserved at the same time. Hope they abstain from trying to translate that o-t-t anime humor.

The scar looks cool!!!!!!!

I want this to be good, but it's always a challenge to change mediums (especially with animation->live action). I can say with no reservation that the Tsuiokuhen is one of the best things ever to be animated in Japan. They've got their work cut out for them.

Teaser trailer and a release date: August 25, 2012

BOsdcBPCdu8

Can't really tell from the trailer how faithful it is going to be to the Manga, but it still looks like its going to be great!:xd:

ShaOW!linDude

I agree with DK. Hate I have to wait 9 months but, oh, well, what are ya gonna do? Hopefully we'll see a little better clip of the swordplay between now and then.

my bad when I searched it other threads and post came up, leave it to the new guy who doesn't fully know his way round the forum. I'm gettin better though.

2nd trailer released. I think this has a theatrical release date in Japan of Aug. 25th.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2012/06/second-live-action-rurouni-kenshin-trailer.php

Looks like it's really shaping up to be a good film. From the looks of some of the scenes, they will probably be including most of the story arcs up to the pount where Himura Kenshin has to go to Edo to stop Shishio Makoto. This means that if the film does well, we may get a sequel that spans the last couple of stories.:smile:

This film keeps looking better and better everytime I see something new about it. Looks like they are going all out with keeping it faithful to the source material.

I'm bumping this 'cause it was supposed to have been released on August 25th. Any forum members in Japan get to take this in?

It's been no.1 at the box office since its release. That being said, I haven't come across anything that would spark any interest in seeing the movie. Looks like your typical big budget, plastic mainstream like Shinobi - Heart Under Blade or Ichi to me. Could be mistaken of course.

Thanks, Takuma. Good to know it actually came out. I get what you're saying. I'm interested in seeing how well the characters were transitioned to the big screen. To me, it looks better than a lot of the wuxia wire-fu extravaganzas that get birthed on a regular basis.

My wife's a big Rurouni Kenshin fan and I just hipped her to the live action trailer last night. Now she's psyched to see it. I figure the dvd will come the first of next year hopefully.

Thanks, Takuma. Good to know it actually came out. I get what you're saying. I'm interested in seeing how well the characters were transitioned to the big screen. To me, it looks better than a lot of the wuxia wire-fu extravaganzas that get birthed on a regular basis.

My wife's a big Rurouni Kenshin fan and I just hipped her to the live action trailer last night. Now she's psyched to see it. I figure the dvd will come the first of next year hopefully.

I hope you don't mind me saying, but your wife is awsome! :smile:

I hope this movie gets to the states soon.

phoenix_darshan

i watched the other day and it is an okay movie, it wont make it to the top of my personal fav charts but it is well rounded and even though i did not like the lead actor (h elooked more like a boy band member) I slowly warmed up to him.

Wha annoyed me most was the main villain, he is as one-dimensional as it can get, laughing hysterically and maniacally, that just made me cringe.

I did really enjoy the reversed blade action, the brawler (in my eyes the funniest part and should have gotten more screen time), and the subtle love story that was painful to watch like so many other movies.

i also relished the score and the incorporation of jutsus.

all in all i give it two thumbs up, but needing to stress that with a few adjustments this could have been off-the-chart.

I also watched it a few weeks ago. I was expecting a teenager pose/romance disaster, but was pleasantly surprised. The old Japan has been captured nicely - it's got the feeling of a good pop film, rather than the flat, digital look of cheap TV dramas and TV-level theatrical films that are in the majority these days.

Action scenes are suprisingly well done. Lead boy Takeru Sato is a pretty face sweetheart, but that considered, he managed the katana action beyond all expectations.

The film is still nothing more than a solid one time time passer, and yes, the storyline and characters are pretty free or merits. But, it's not the miserable piece of junk that could've been expected. It's actually rather alright film.

The DVD and Blu-Ray came out on December 26. Considering we're in the same BR region as Japan, I may get the film next month!!! :D looks good!!!