UK News at Ten report on Triads in HK film biz

Reel Power Stunts

Reel Power Stunts

I've uploaded this old (92 I think) news report I taped way back when. Thought some folks might find it interesting if they've not seen it before.

Has some footage from the sets of "Police Story 3" and "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story". Interviews with Jackie, Philip Chan etc...

_jCxmVE6m7c

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing:smile:

Interesting some of the news report including Jackie's interview can also be seen on a CNN news report about the Triads.

Guest Markgway

Wang Lung-Wei wasn't shot dead.

I wonder whom they're referring to?

I do remember seeing that report at the time.

It wasn't too long after I got into HK cinema.

Killer Meteor

Woah, I must have been six at the time. Brings back memories of a time when ITV was decent, and Chinese food was too spicy for me!

Reel Power Stunts
Wang Lung-Wei wasn't shot dead.

I wonder whom they're referring to?

It wasn't that Wong Lung Wai. This chap was a gangster with film connections. He slapped Anita Mui for not giving him face. The Tiger of Wanchai and his boys beat him up. In hospital, Wong was shot dead. Then Tiger got shot dead in Macau. Happy times...

Guest Markgway
It wasn't that Wong Lung Wai. This chap was a gangster with film connections. He slapped Anita Mui for not giving him face. The Tiger of Wanchai and his boys beat him up. In hospital, Wong was shot dead. Then Tiger got shot dead in Macau. Happy times...

Right. I think the news got the people mixed up. Said he was a filmmaker. Who cares if a gangster gets shot dead?

sifu iron perm

Great find. I remember when London Tonight(itv) reported about triad gangs in London just a bit after when the 15 yr old kid murdered the school headmaster or teacher. They pointed out that certain media IE Films are a big influence with clips from John Woo films and a clip from a kung fu movie..they also filmed and showed

an exterior view of Eastern Heroes in Shaftesbury ave.

thedirtytiger

It's a different Wang Lung-Wei. There is a section about him in Frederick Dannen's book Hong Kong Babylon, the only interesting part of the book for me was the all too brief section on Triad interference which I found fascinating.

I agree with you on the triad bit being the best (and briefest) part of the book. There was never any real comprehensive English coverage about what went down. I'd get bits and pieces from Chinese friends like Anita Mui being slapped by a Triad boss when she refused to sing at a club for him and other snippets, but sure there was so much more gossip!

Archived