i only own

Bulletproof Monk

Replacement Killers

The Corruptor

Crouching tiger

n Hard Boiled

and my fave outta the ones i have is Hard Boiled

Guest Yi-Long

Hard Boiled is my favourite movie he's been in...

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon is great as well.

Full Contact is pretty cool.

The Killer was great when it came out, but personally I fell it hasn't aged well. Still a good movie, but it doesn't hold up as good as Hard Boiled (which obviously is also a bit newer).

A Better Tomorrow is very good as well, but again, it's age is showing.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Must haves:

A Better Tomorrow

The Killer

Hard Boiled

Full Contact

Tiger On Beat

God Of Gamblers

Noteworthy:

A Better Tomorrow 2

Prison On Fire

City On Fire

Once A Thief

Wild Search

An Autumns Tale

All About Ah Long

Seventh Curse

The Lunatics

Prison On Fire 2

pretty much all of his work with John Woo and Ringo Lam (although I haven't seen Prison on Fire II). God of Gamblers, All About Ah-Long, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Curse of the Golden Flower are all good. Rich and Famous/Tragic Hero are both decent enough. out of his US films, I liked both The Replacement Killers and The Corruptor the best. Unfortunately he was totally wasted in Pirates 3! I think his all time best performance though is in A Better Tomorrow

I would echo A Better Tomorrow, The Killer, and Hard Boiled as essential viewing. These films capture Chow at his peak when Woo and Hong Kong cinema were at heights of their own; this is the type of filmmaking that can be called 'timeless' in utmost sincerity.

On a side-note, 'dated' is a term that is accurate but completely benign. These films don't attempt to imagine the future nor do they suffer from amatuerish production. Also, Resevoir Dogs - how is this a 'rip-off' of City on Fire? They're completely different movies. I really doubt anyone who's claimed that has ever seen the latter. /vent

A Better Tomorrow is definitely my favorite of his. It's one of those movies that I can recommend to anyone, regardless of their personal tastes. A Better Tomorrow 2, The Killer, Hard Boiled, and City On Fire are also excellent.

Archived