Question about Japanese movies

Jstn

I was wondering if there were any Japanese martial arts movies out there that have really tight, crisp fight choreography? Sort of like Samo Hung's or Yuen Woo Ping's. I'm very curious. Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Sonny Chiba's films probably come closest to that imo.

Starring roles: Martial Arts & Action

1. The Street Fighter (karate / action)

2. Karate Bearfighter (karate)

3. The Killing Machine (karate)

4. Karate Bullfighter (karate)

5. Karate Warriors (karate)

6. Karate for Life (this while a lesser film, this one has perhaps Chiba's best fights) (karate)

7. The Street Fighter's Last Revenge (karate)

8. The Executioner (karate / action) (also love the sequel, although it's mainly a comedy)

9. Soul of Chiba (karate)

10. Return of the Street Fighter (karate)

Also, I think HIGH KICK GIRL would (but prepare yourself for lots of slo-mo).

Also HARD REVENGE MILLY & HARD REVENGE MILLY: BLOODY BATTLE.

Here's a review of did of those: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165302&postcount=60

Hope this helps.

The choreography of Hong Kong's grade A action films is rather unique unto itself. There are a lot of movies that try to emulate this style and a few of them are Japanese, but all in all what you'll find is that the best Japanese cinema has to offer in terms of action is altogether a different experience. If you're curious about what these films have to offer, you'd best discard your expectations beforehand and appreciate them for what they are.

Despite there being a few cult classics, on the whole karate films are neither as numerous nor quite so comparable to the best of the HK kung fu films. The chambara and yakuza films (in which Chiba is also prolific) are the main attraction in Japanese film. If you like action and haven't checked these out yet, you are in for a treat! :bigsmile:

Here's a bit more about the difference between HK and JP choreography:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14504

(starting from the 6th post)

Sonny Chiba's films probably come closest to that imo.

Chiba is a God, although Hiroyuki Sanada's action is much more HK style, especially Roaring Fire which is sometimes mentioned as a possible influence for Police Story. For martial arts Shogun's Ninja is another strong one. These films are somewhere in the middle between JP (Chiba) and HK style action...

And then of course we've got the lovely Etsuko Shihomi. She wasn't quite as fast as Chiba, but made very cool, Chiba style films... Dragon Princess, Sister Street Fighter...

Also, I think HIGH KICK GIRL would (but prepare yourself for lots of slo-mo).

The semi sequel K.G. - Karate Girl is a 10 times better movie, though...

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12389

Also HARD REVENGE MILLY & HARD REVENGE MILLY: BLOODY BATTLE.

Here's a review of did of those: http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showpost.php?p=165302&postcount=60

Yes, Bloody Battle absolutely recommended for everyone:

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13183

Would samurai films count? If they do, then I would check out such classics as:

The Seven Samurai

13 Assassins

The Hidden Fortress

All these films have great choreography in them. Also agree that any Sonny Chiba movie is a must watch.:nerd:

Thanks so much guys. I appreciate the suggestions. I'm gonna check out movies mentioned. I have heard about Sonny Chiba...do you believe I have yet to see anything with him in it?:tongue:

odioustrident

Japanese choreographers maintained a distance from the HK style pretty consistently... even in the midst of the kung fu boom. While a handful of HK / Taiwan films have attempted chanbara choreo, not many Japanese films have tried the equivalent. As people have said.... its not easy to find lengthy, camera-oriented exchanges out of Japan.

The only thing that came close to HK style in Japan, at least for me, was the kung fu comedy(?) that paid homage to Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. I don't remember the title but its been mentioned on the forums. There was a youtube clip as well if someone can find it.

Some of Junya Takagi's work is not too far off either, or at least a little closer to typical HK than 70's Chiba.

G-AGLhTZnQU

NUxCtYaG3Js

QtSBOk7rGCg

Here is a Kurata modern day that also had a decent sequel.

Vbwu9NTN99w

Jujitsu

y-TGqzLBVgI

Thanks Odioustrident

Great clips. Especially the first one! I know there was a movie called Ninjas and Dragons. For some reason I remember that one having some sort of Japanese affiliation, though; can't remember whether it was made in Japan or not.

Jstn, Kane Kosugi's 2002 Japanese action film MUSCLE HEAT (or BLOOD HEAT as it was released in the U.S.) had Jackie Chan Stunt Team members Sam Wong and Chan Man-Ching choreographing the action sequences.

VpklxWrlASo

Also, you can get the complete set of Kurata's 70s tv show "Fight Dragon" on dvd really cheap. The show is a bit silly, but it's a lot of fun and does have a good deal of old-school martial arts:

czp1XBv4dHE

OpiumKungFuCracker

You might want to go on Hulu and try their free trial... You get a lot of Hideo Gosha movies on streaming right now like Bandits vs Samurai Squadron

AlbertV & KyFi....thanks for the suggestions guys! Greatly appreciated.

Opium, I might actually try that out. I've heard about Hulu though, don't know a whole lot about how it works. Thanks.

Archived