Sogo Ishii is back: Ikiteru Mono Wa Inai No Ka (2012)

Takuma

Ishii's back with a new film, plus he has more projects in development ("an experimental 3D film & a sci-fi movie")

- http://wildgrounds.com/2011/11/25/ikiteru-sogo-gakuryu-ishii-is-back/

wxswsniu9OI

Probably won't be best Ishii, but interesting nevertheless considering what a living legend he is.

Some of you may not know Ishii, which is sad, because he's one of the most influential Japanese filmmakers of all time. Punk musician gone punk filmmaker his film school graduation work Crazy Thunder Road became the most important punk film of all time (imagine The Warriors with biker gangs and one of the best punk/rock soundtracks in film history). Ishii's works were the main inspiration for filmmakers like Shinya Tsukamoto.

Ishii later re-discovered himself with films like August in the Water, which is one of the best movies of the 90's.

Sadly, none of his best movies have been released on dvd outside Japan. The Japanese dvd sets, Punk Years, and Psychedelic Years, are bloody fantastic, though. I own them both.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a trailer for Crazy Thuder Road:

AYaBU6eRm8c

Who the fuck does student films like this?! Sogo Ishii did! Major studio's couldn't compete!

(that why Toei bought the film and distributed it)

crazytha.jpg

A few more Ishii trailers:

1) This is for the Japanese stand alone dvd releases. After the two box sets some of the films were released individually, and this trailer was created to promote those films:

jxsYp6gge2k

2) This is the trailer for the Psychedelic Years box set. A trailer for Punk Years also exists, but has been taken down from youtube. The trailer for the standalone releases features much of the footage from that trailer, actually.

sMWTisPZOTw

+ my favorite Sogo Ishii DVD cover

shuffler2j.jpg

(dammit, it's happening again :nerd: Now I'll shut up and go eat the fish)

Archived