Shaw movies not released by IVL

Oily Maniac

Black Butterfly (Singapore)

The Swordmates (Singapore)

Angel Strikes Again (Singapore)

Would love to get hold of those:cry:. I think I have swordmates thai vcd somewhere...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, if we're doing this, my most wanted:

My absolute most wanted...

Bank-Busters - T.F. Mou's proto-New Wave crime thriller which enraged studio execs with its downbeat, political tone. They dumped the film, and from the looks of it, it only survives in the Hong Kong and Taiwanese film archives.

Plus these...

The Killer - Shaw Basher masterpiece not available in a proper widescreen transfer. As the film is pretty just a showcase for Chor Yuen's ravish style, it especially hurts.

Redbeard - Cheng Tseng-Chai's lavish followup to his landmark From the Highway. It's failure was pretty much a major setback for Cheng's career, which never really recovered, but nonetheless, it looks like another genre-bending 20th century wuxia.

Payment in Blood - Kuei Chih-Hung's modern-set revenge thriller extraordinaire. Only available in a German dub so far, but even without the language, it's clear that this is strong stuff in the mode of American actions films ala Eastwood or Bronson.

Godfather's Fury - Another proto-New Wave film, this time a Triad drama from Sun Chung. Seems like a sort of Election type story: a boss retires, leading to a bloody feud.

Chinatown Kid - International version. Hopefully the materials (and a Mandarin track) exists for it.

An Amorous Woman of Tang Dynasty - The full length three-hour Taiwanese cut.

Brothers from the Walled City - This movie was obviously cut. Whether this happened before its release, or whether there's another version floating around, I'm not sure. If it's the latter, I'd love to see it.

Thunderclap, lovers blades, revenge of the corpse would interest me..The killer I have somewhere on dvd-r but would live to see original proper widescreen and subtitles dvd instead of dubbed vhs-rip scissored and titled "sacred knives of vengeance".

Dvd-r of "to kill a mastermind" looks quite good but original dvd would be another jewel in crown, love that movie so much,

I had seen chinatown kid international version 10+ years ago and even as time does tricks I swear it was lot more superior than happy ending ivl release.

Archived