Shaw movies not released by IVL

Oily Maniac

instant noodles

There is scandinavian dvd release of "sexy girls of denmark".

I think ivl dvd does not exist, maybe video cd does...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an IVL DVD with engl. subs. Another new entry: Battle for the Republic of China was released in Taiwan.

Oily Maniac

Does anybody know where any of these are in stock, or somebody who might sell those?

Enchanting Ghost (China) should be in stock somewhere, right?

Black Butterfly (Singapore)

The Swordmates (Singapore)

Temptress of a Thousand Faces (Singapore)

Angel Strikes Again (Singapore)

The Enchanting Ghost (China, Singapore)

Is it true WB has the rights to my fav THE KILLER, aka SACRED KNIVES OF VENGEANCE ? It's the one title I wanted remastered by. Celestial.

they released THE KILLER back the in Cinemas, but why should they still hold the rights? After all, they don't have all the Shaws anymore now that they also had back then. (RETURN TO 36TH CHAMBER, EXECUTIONERS FROM SHAOLIN, 8 DIAGRAM POLE FIGHTERS to name a few)

The movie has been fully remastered by Celestial and is rotting in their Archive and is desperately waiting to get freed by someone willing to licence it...

... The movie has been fully remastered by Celestial and is rotting in their Archive and is desperately waiting to get freed by someone willing to licence it...

Really? Well, come on somebody, MB, Funimation, DD... please?

:bigsmile:

Oily Maniac

I still hope somebody picks this up, especially a version with the german dub would be amazing!

Just got the "Flower and the Rain" from Taiwan today, interlaced, non-anamorphic shit with burnt-in subtitles, but better compression than the VCD. This and "Twin Swords of Doom" from Taiwan are still the best versions available on a physical medium, unfortunately.

Edit:

I uploaded subtitles for Mini-Skirt Gang, not my work, I found them online.

Oily Maniac

The HKMDB source is propably the "Shaw Screen" book, as it's just the same information. The book only listed completed films with a theatrical run, so it's out there, but only on 35mm so far I guess.

Lily Ho's The Brain Stealers have already been screened twice on the Celestial Classic Channel here in Asia. Others already scheduled for May & June are Shih Szu's The Villains, Lily Li's Champion Of Champions, Tsung Hua's The Killer, Cheng Pei Pei's Operation Lipstick, Tang Ching's The Black Enforcer, etc.

I wish Celestial will release them on DVD so that other Shaw fans may watch them as well and not just us in Asia.

Guest Markgway
Lily Ho's The Brain Stealers have already been screened twice on the Celestial Classic Channel here in Asia. Others already scheduled for May & June are Shih Szu's The Villains, Lily Li's Champion Of Champions, Tsung Hua's The Killer, Cheng Pei Pei's Operation Lipstick, Tang Ching's The Black Enforcer, etc. I wish Celestial will release them on DVD so that other Shaw fans may watch them as well and not just us in Asia.

JEALOUS. :cry:

Oily Maniac

Added:

Cut by IVL, longer elsewhere:

Heroes Two (German DVD has framecuts restored)

Bruce Lee & I (Japanese DVD is uncut, but has a blurred scene)

Hero (German DVD has cut/alternative scene in the extras)

HEROES TWO IVL is identical to the German DVD. The French and US discs are 3 mins shorter thanks to a new Master. (correctly framed, the uncut Version was reframed and matted)

Killer Meteor
HEROES TWO IVL is identical to the German DVD. The French and US discs are 3 mins shorter thanks to a new Master. (correctly framed, the uncut Version was reframed and matted)

Why did they reframe it?

It's been seven years since I last saw it, but I recall the Momentum Asia disc was the frame cut edition, non anamorphic and interlaced, but it did have the original traditional Chinese credits (or at least a fair re-creation of them!). On the US DVD, the credits are in a smaller font, simplied chinese, spell the director's English credit wrong and refer to the villians as The Red Robe Four.

Also, on My Young Auntie, Liu Chia Lang is credited in English twice, one time in place of Gordon Liu! I wonder if this flaw was in the original credits back in '81?

all the uncut Remasters of the first year (no framecuts, not anamorphic) were reframed to mask print damage and the splice lines at every shot change. later they CUT them all out, thus making the movies a lot shorter. they remastered almost every movie from the first year again from what i gathered, so that's why there's long and short versions of titles like KILLER CLANS , HEROIC ONES, HEROES TWO etc

if you compare the framing on any of the above titles, you'll see huge differences.KILLER CLANS btw exists in THREE Celestial Versions! First uncut IVL Version, then French Framecut Version, then completely remastered (AGAIN!) HD Master used for DD DVD (which even places the Credits on sometimes different shots!)

Oily Maniac

Allright, changed it. Maybe we need a definite list of all Shaws, with info on different restaurations and audio options. It is interresting that you can choose between PQ or the full movie. I would go for the uncut one, even though timing is not as important as in a film by Ozu or the like.

Guest Markgway
By what in particular?

Frame cuts... missing violence... poor sales... unavilable titles...

Isn't that enough??

Killer Meteor
Frame cuts... missing violence... poor sales... unavilable titles...

Isn't that enough??

It does make me nostalgic for 2004, that's for Shaw!

Operation Lipstick starring Cheng Pei-pei, Tina Chin Fei and Paul Chang Chung was screened on Malaysian TV today albeit with Malay subs since it was a free channel. Beautifully remastered.

The Brain Stealers starring Lily Ho & Betty Ting Pei was screened last month on the Celestial Classic channel.

Looks like Celestial has no plans to release any more of these unreleased gems on DVD since they are starting to be screened on TV.

Archived