Iceman / Iceman 3D (2014)

DiP

This movie has finally come on Brazilian TV and...well, I only watched the second half. But I was disappointed to see so much money thrown at such a polished final product that is ultimately insubstantial and unessential. Yes, I missed the first half, but I don't think I really care, having seen what should be the most important scenes in the movie. The CGI composite work just yanked me out of the movie and I wasn't happy with the final fight, which piled on the CGI so that the chain whip/rope dart fighting could be 3D. I mean, conceptually, it's a cool idea. We don't see the axe used as a kung fu weapon enough, so having Donnie use what essentially is a rope dart against the axe and the saber/shield combo is a great idea. The setting is also neat. But the CGI once more pulls me out of the sequence. The nightclub fight was a little better, but to me it felt like a lot of overstylized WHOOSH-WHOOSHING with no substance behind it. Legend of the Wolf did that, but you had some of Donnie's trademark moves to hold it together. I liked Special I.D. more than this. Heck, for all the flack that Dragon Tiger Gate took for its use of CGI, I think it's miles ahead of this.

And what happened to the sequel to this?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One Armed Boxer
On 5/21/2017 at 0:39 AM, DrNgor said:

And what happened to the sequel to this?

It seems to have gone the same way as the 'Kung Fu Cult Master' sequel.

The sequel is still in post-production, I recon it's going through a similar phase of that of The Monkey King which was shot in Q3 of 2011 but released in January of 2014. The sequel was shot in late 2014 and wrapped 4-5 months later. The reason for the long wait is because lots of money are being spent on CGI. It may see a release next year though, according to Mtime and IMDB.

One Armed Boxer
2 hours ago, DiP said:

The reason for the long wait is because lots of money are being spent on CGI.

I'll take it this translates to they're struggling to find funding to finish the necessary CGI to wrap up the movie.  China has come along in leaps and bounds in terms of the quality of its CGI in just a small number of years, so for this to still be in limbo purely because of unfinished effects 2 years after shooting wrapped, is surely an indication of financial troubles.

Archived