Iceman / Iceman 3D (2014)

DiP

the more i hear about this movie the more excited i am about it. this will be a great year for martial arts movies

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like it wont have any of the comedy elements of The Iceman Cometh.

Damn, I really wanted to see Donnie drink water from a toilet :tongue:

Looks like it wont have any of the comedy elements of The Iceman Cometh.

The music video suggests otherwise. As does the vids below.

ZhmQEWuoovk

BsDGtBjS-3M

I can't wait to see this movie! They should remake more HK classics like hollywood keeps remaking their movies. Would be good to see remakes of Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung movies.

Somehow I don't expect this remake to measure up to the original for pure Hong Kong movie madness and action and even Donnie is not Yuen Biao's match. Yuen Biao is my all time fave Hong Kong movie star (but hey, isn't Biao everyones favorite?)

Co-incidently the director of the 1989 original also directed Donnie in Special ID.

I'm not a big fan of remakes but if HK/Chinese companies can get more exceptional directors to helm remakes then I won't mind. Law Wing-Cheong, who is a former student of Johnnie To, now makes good films in his own right - including Tactical Unit: The Code, Tactical Unit: Comrades in Arms, Punished (his best film imo), and recently The Wrath of Vajra. I'm sure he will deliver the goods with this one and the sequel.

Clarance Fok is a hit-and-miss director though. I'd say the success of the original comes from producer Johnny Mak and his company who were behind financing and had input in the creative process.

One Armed Boxer
Clarance Fok is a hit-and-miss director though. I'd say the success of the original comes from producer Johnny Mak and his company who were behind financing and had input in the creative process.

The only thing that stops me from completely condemning Clarence Fok is my love for 'Naked Killer', apart from that his output varies from mediocre to complete crap, and with the exception of the final fight I'd class 'The Iceman Cometh' in the mediocre category.

BTS footage exposing DY stuntman Yu Kang (playing one of the three villains) and lead actress Eva Huang.

qT8qNm_nW20

The only thing that stops me from completely condemning Clarence Fok is my love for 'Naked Killer', apart from that his output varies from mediocre to complete crap, and with the exception of the final fight I'd class 'The Iceman Cometh' in the mediocre category.

Agree with both of you guys, which is why I wasn't surprised of Special ID's outcome.

I can't even say I dug Naked Killer. What was truly awful was that flick Her Name Is Cat. Ugh...

The only film I ever liked from Fok was HK TRIAD, with Lau Ching Wan and Francis Ng. It wasn't great, but it was decent (from what I remember).

His absolute worst film for me would be a toss up between They came to rob Hong Kong and Black Panther Warriors - both really aweful. Her name is cat is also really bad. Naked Killer and Iceman Cometh are choc full of awesome in my opinion, and I think dragon from russia, cheap killers and H.K. Triad are all good films in my opinion.

If anyone is interested, I will give them They came to rob hong kong vcd and black panther warriors dvd for free, they are taking up space in one of my cd wallets.

Noelle Shadow Kick

Ah, shame. These reviews are bumming me out.

Man, I really was hoping one of these recent releases from Donnie Yen would be as good as Ip Man 1 & 2, SPL, and Flashpoint.

This one sounds pretty bad, and I saw The Monkey King was getting middling reviews and it doesn't seem like the action is particularly great in that. I saw Special ID and while it was perfectly enjoyable it just isn't as good as his best by a long shot.

I'm glad we have The Raid 2 but man, I wish we could get some other great releases.

IMO...

Special ID was pretty decent overall but unfortunately fell victim to bad marketing. I didn't mind how it ended up but I really wanted a downright serious and dark film like the trailers suggested. Getting a premise and later find out that it's totally the opposite is cruel to those who has expectations of what they will get from that very premise. And, of course, pulling out a promised Yen vs Chou fight due to several changes in the script ain't cutting it for me either. But in the end of the day, they still delivered good action and entertaining character chemistries so I forgive them to some extents.

The Monkey King is good for what it sets out to be: a film for children. The CGI, while not as great as I hoped, is a great throwback to 1990s HK CGI, and the action scenes are fun to watch and fit the film's atmosphere. The strength of the whole film lies in Donnie's performance as Sun Wukong though which he flawlessly delivers with such energy. It's a refreshing take on the classic character previously portrayed by the likes of Stephen Chow and Jet Li.

I'll keep a clear mind and wait till I get hold of the film to judge for myself. Reviews are meant to be subjective information that you can use as a basis to form your own opinion and see where you agree and disagree with points from the information given.

Drunken Monk

I'm almost sorry to say this but that looked fucking awesome! It's basically Donnie Yen making a superhero film, from the looks of things.

It's over the top and wire filled but it looks like it's supposed to be. Massive shield, giant axes, chain attacks that look as though Donnie should have choreographed "Ghost Rider?" I'm in!

Some reviews have pointed out an outstanding fight scene inside a discotheque where Donnie and his co-stars just went at it without any use of 3D and stunt doubles. That should be something to look out for.

Man, is there anything worse than 3D in martial arts movies? Sigh.

Worse scenario would be having 3D in a modern setting (unless it's a Marvel film of course). But I don't mind 3D in an ancient setting.

I read a review basically saying you need to watch it as a comedy a'la Kung Fu Hustle, with that in mind I might enjoy it

all previous trailers were really putting me off, but after rewatching with that advice I think it could be fun

One Armed Boxer
Preview.

9iTzP578luw

Yen incurs more damage from being yelled at in the face at the 1:12 mark of this clip than he does in the whole restaurant scene from 'Special ID' when he's fighting over 20 gang members! If only they knew they just had to shout at him.:tongue:

Archived