Iceman / Iceman 3D (2014)

DiP

ShaOW!linDude

I guess it's a good way to salvage production costs since the budget's skyrocketed. Gives the studios an opportunity to get a better return on their investment. Still, this really strikes me as something that should be a one-and-done picture. If the action isn't there to keep up the interest, the dramatic aspect could become annoying.

This really is a fish-out-of-water type story as OAB said. And while Yen may not have Biao's comedic flair, it would be nice to see him give that a go and take a break from the smoldering tough guy character he's played for some time now. I remember him being quite comical in Drunken Tai Chi. He should go for that again. It'd be a nice change of pace....but with all the trademark kicks. Gotta have those.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I guess it's a good way to salvage production costs since the budget's skyrocketed. Gives the studios an opportunity to get a better return on their investment. Still, this really strikes me as something that should be a one-and-done picture. If the action isn't there to keep up the interest, the dramatic aspect could become annoying.

This really is a fish-out-of-water type story as OAB said. And while Yen may not have Biao's comedic flair, it would be nice to see him give that a go and take a break from the smoldering tough guy character he's played for some time now. I remember him being quite comical in Drunken Tai Chi. He should go for that again. It'd be a nice change of pace....but with all the trademark kicks. Gotta have those.

Yes, a fish out of water story can be very funny if done right. I can't help but feel hopeful about this.

And aside from DRUNKEN TAI-CHI, I know I'm not alone in being a big fan of the cheese-fest that is MISPLACED COUPLES. Have you seen this one yet ShaOW!linDude? Donnie is in full-on comedy mode here, yet still delivers some good fighting (against Dick Wei!) when he's not breakin'.

One Armed Boxer

'Ong Bak 3' anyone!?:tongue:

Now we have a remake of the same movie being sprawled out over 2 parts, in the pleace of Yuen Biao's comedic flair and always jaw dropping stunt work we'll have Donnie Yen's stone face and no doubt usual display of his trademark kicks, and instead of the more intimate feel of the original it sounds like this is going more in the epic battle scene direction, which I've already seen enough of. While none of these changes are necessarily a bad thing, I'm all for reinterpretations over straight up uninspired remakes, the thought of it stretched over two movies just doesn't make me excited.

I don't see why the filmmakers would ever intend to have the same intimate feel (typical rushed 80s Hong Kong movie vibe) and comedic flair that the original had. Remakes aren't meant to match up to originals similarly. I don't know about you but I'm sure the movie will set out to have its' own style and feel as well as exceptional action scenes (Donnie still keeps moving on to different stuff as far as action choreography goes), and might deliver overall. As for Donnie's comedic skills, give All's Well Ends Well 2011 and All's Well Ends Well 2012 a shot and see what you feel about Donnie's comedy performances. Both are the usual Chinese New Year crap but I personally enjoyed Donnie's moments.

And aside from DRUNKEN TAI-CHI, I know I'm not alone in being a big fan of the cheese-fest that is MISPLACED COUPLES. Have you seen this one yet ShaOW!linDude? Donnie is in full-on comedy mode here, yet still delivers some good fighting (against Dick Wei!) when he's not breakin'.

Seconded :biggrin:

ShaOW!linDude

No, sir, not in its entirety. I've seen clips. Need to get that.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
As for Donnie's comedic skills, give All's Well Ends Well 2011 and All's Well Ends Well 2012 a shot and see what you feel about Donnie's comedy performances. Both are the usual Chinese New Year crap but I personally enjoyed Donnie's moments.

I'll check those out. Thanks!

Seconded :biggrin:

No, sir, not in its entirety. I've seen clips. Need to get that.

ShaOW!linDude, I must amend this deficiency in your collection. :nerd:

I used to think that enjoying MISMATCHED COUPLES was only mine and my friend Mike's guilty pleasure (one of these days I will post in the the "Guilty Pleasures" thread). Everyone else that we knew that watched kung fu would scoff at this film. They wanted the Donnie Yen of TIGER CAGE and IRON MONKEY. Not some silly dancing Donnie Yen. But for some reason, Mike and I could not get enough of this hilarious film.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw people at last year's New York Asian Film Festival clutching VHS, photos, and laser discs of MISMATCHED COUPLES for Donnie to autograph. He seemed bemused at the love the fans have for the film, but kindly signed these bits of memorabilia from one of his silliest films.

Anyway, perhaps I am (considering my appreciation of MISMATCHED COUPLES ) more likely to be open to a comic turn by the Yenster than his average fan. I say bring it on. I'm open and ready for ICEMAN COMETH... in however many parts it comes in. :wink:

Drunken Monk

I thought the trailer was pretty underwhelming but it did hint at some major action set-pieces so my excitement has fizzled altogether.

I like the emphasis on the the modern weapons of today versus the martial arts of yesteryear. That could really be an exciting and enjoyable concept.

I suppose, in my eyes, this was just a weak trailer for what could very well be an awesome film.

Iceman defrosts at Cannes

Sales News

Contemporary Chinese action film Iceman 3D 冰封俠3D情深四百年 has secured a series of Asian and Middle East deals at Cannes.

Starring Donnie YEN 甄子丹, WANG Baoqiang 王寶強 and Eva HUANG 黃聖依, the RMB200 million (US$32.5 million) production has been shooting for almost half a year with locations in Hong Kong and China.

Yen stars as a chief commander of the Imperial Guard in Ming Dynasty China who is buried and frozen under an avalanche only to be unearthed and brought back to life in contemporary China, but finds himself still pursued by another Imperial Guard.

Deals were closed with Krisco Media for India and Middle East, Shaw Organisation Pte Ltd 邵氏機構榮譽呈獻 for Singapore and GSC Movies Sdn Bhd for Malaysia. Distribution has also been locked for Hong Kong and Indonesia.

At a press conference in Cannes yesterday, a spokesman claimed that a highlight of the film was the shoot on the Tsing Ma Bridge in Hong Kong, which took one-and-a-half years of negotiations for partial access.

The film, directed by LAW Wing-cheong 羅永昌 and Yen, is scheduled to open in China in spring 2014. Pegasus Motion Pictures Distribution Ltd 天馬電影製作有限公司 represents the film in selected territories at the Cannes market.

Source: http://www.filmbiz.asia/news/iceman-defrosts-at-cannes

blue_skies

Big flashy production, wire work, slow motion, CGI and possibly fast cutting.

I could be wrong but it looks like another Donnie Yen film that will fail to satisfy me.:squigglemouth:

Drunken Monk

The new trailer actually sold me a little more on this. While there are wires, CGI and some seemingly cheesy moments, I think it looks stylish and hey, who doesn't want to see two weapon wielding warriors battle in a modern traffic jam?

Promos/festival trailers tend to be be rushed and produced at the last minute. The movie was still in production when the first footage was shown at Cannes so they will surely change this in actual post.

Archived