Iceman / Iceman 3D (2014)

DiP

Stephen Shiu, producer of Iceman Cometh, just announced that Donnie Yen will star and direct the 3D remake, along with co-directors Raymond Yip and Christopher Sun. A shooting schedule hasn't been cleared yet but if this is one of the future projects Donnie has accepted then it might start production later, maybe next year.

https://twitter.com/#!/TheGoldenRock/status/137091535580831744

http://www.cityonfire.com/donnie-yen-discusses-a-possible-3d-remake-of-iceman-cometh/

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Yi-Long

Sad to see this whole 3D fad taking over cinema again, just when it looked like there was a nice return to some old-skool martial arts cinema...

Doesn't sound interesting.

ShaOW!linDude
Sad to see this whole 3D fad taking over cinema again, just when it looked like there was a nice return to some old-skool martial arts cinema...

Doesn't sound interesting.

Agreed. Don't know that I'm psyched in the least about this but we'll see what happens. It'll be a few years before it comes out, regardless.

Gotta get Yuen's Biao and Wah in for cameos!

I feel ya, bro!!! If DY's going to go through with it, he definitely needs to give these guys some props with cameos that showcase their skills! That's something I'd get excited about!

Donnie directing means action directing too? Let's go.

Why bother with people who are way past their primes? Get Vincent Zhao and you'll have something.

ShaOW!linDude

I get what you're saying and if Yen and Zhao were to be the protagonist and antagonist for the remake, that'd be sweet.

Still, having Biao and Wah would be an added bonus. A cameo or bit part would be cool especially if it has them doing a little MA. Sure they're past their primes but I'm sure they still have some chops.

I'd love to see an end fight in a museum like in the original. But in a dedicated wing of Chinese artifacts and such that had racks of traditional weapons. Then Yen could choreograph something like the weapons fight between Michelle Yeoh and Zhang Ziyi in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. How fantastic would that be to see some "old school" MA in a modern setting?

One Armed Boxer

I remember watching the original 'Iceman Cometh' back when HKL released it on their label several years ago, it had been one of those movies that I'd heard plenty about long before seeing it, so I was pretty excited to finally check it out. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment for me, if I remember correctly the only actual one on one fights are between Yuen Biao & Yuen Wah, which open and close the movie respectively, with the whole middle section being dragged out watching Maggie Cheung "humorously" helping Biao adapt to the modern world.

At the very least, I hope the new version has a higher content of action, and doesn't have Yen dealing with a bunch of thugs just with his 'magic finger', which I seem to recall Biao doing in the original....granted it's been a while since I watched it.

ShaOW!linDude

You remember correctly, OAB.

There was another confrontation midway in the film between Biao and Wah which was the result of a chase that ended up on the docks. They fight on a jeep hoisted in the air by a crane. It's a little cheesy but still kind of cool. There's also an action sequence against some gangsters in an office which I believe belonged to Maggie's pimp, if I recall.

You're right, though. While I really think this is one of Biao's better films, there is a serious lack of action makes it lull. And I've never really been a fan of Maggie Cheung. Her voice annoys me to the point I want to rip out my own vocal chords in a fit of madness.

I found this after having suffered through DEADFUL MELODY and THE PEACOCK KING (what a waste of Biao's talents). So as far as I'm concerned, THE ICEMAN COMETH ranks as one of his best.:tongue:

I remember watching the original 'Iceman Cometh' back when HLK released it on their label several years ago, it had been one of those movies that I'd heard plenty about long before seeing it, so I was pretty excited to finally check it out. Unfortunately it was a huge disappointment for me, .

OAB, we're on the same page yet again as when I finally watched "Iceman cometh" I was hugely disappointed also. I thought I was the only one who didn't like the movie.:squigglemouth: To be honest I can't remember a great deal about the film just tried to put it out of my mind.

I honestly liked this movie a lot. Then again, I'm a sucker for the look that Hong Kong new wave films had in the 80's and early 90's. There's just something about it that I love.

Shooting starts on February 20 2012.

Synopsis: In the new version, Donnie plays the captain of the Imperial Guard during the Ming Dynasty. When he is wrongly accused of murder and colluding with the enemy, his fellow guardsmen go after him, only for their monumental battle to see all three buried under an avalanche for 300 years. Discovered by a wealthy philanthropist, the frozen soldiers are transported back to Hong Kong for study, only to thaw out and escape. Donnie finds shelter with a drunk and emotionally jaded bar promoter on Halloween night, and over time she helps him integrate into 21st Century society. Meanwhile, the other guardsmen have ideas of their own - one is still determined to track down Donnie and bring him to justice, while the other decides to make a name for himself in modern-day Hong Kong.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/donnie-yens-iceman-cometh-heads-china-3d-slate.php

One Armed Boxer
You're right, though. While I really think this is one of Biao's better films, there is a serious lack of action makes it lull. And I've never really been a fan of Maggie Cheung. Her voice annoys me to the point I want to rip out my own vocal chords in a fit of madness.

Ha ha....my advice is to watch either (a) 'Paper Marriage', or (B) 'Green Snake'....and see if you still feel the same way then! She's pretty hot in those movies!

I found this after having suffered through DEADFUL MELODY and THE PEACOCK KING (what a waste of Biao's talents).

Fair enough, I've never seen 'Deadful Melody', but I know it's a wuxia, which I have nothing against....but I know you're a bit of an anti-wuxia kind of guy.:tongue: I've seen 'The Peacock King' and knew it's wasn't a kung-fu actioner going into it, I heard it was made more for the Japanese audience where Biao was very popular at the time, hence the presence of all the monsters and fantastical elements. Although I definitely agree, the fight between Biao & Gordon Liu should have been gold....but it was anthing but.

Donnie finds shelter with a drunk and emotionally jaded bar promoter on Halloween night, and over time she helps him integrate into 21st Century society.

Oh....this line sent a chill down my spine, no doubt amongst the action we're going to be subjected to more of Donnie's comedy acting chops....cringe!

ShaOW!linDude
Ha ha....my advice is to watch either (a) 'Paper Marriage', or (B) 'Green Snake'....and see if you still feel the same way then! She's pretty hot in those movies!

Hey, I loved Paper Marriage with the exception of Sammo's lack of presence during the end fight. Yeah, she's hot in that, I guess. I reckon she's the go-to girl for petulance in HK filmdom.:wink:

Fan-Bing Bing (Flash Point, Bodyguards & Assassins) is currently being approached to play Maggie Cheung's role. There's also rumors that Hong Kong actor Cheung Chi-Lam has joined the cast to play the second guard while a Mainland actor is being searched to play the last guard.

http://twitchfilm.com/news/2011/11/exclusive-donnie-wants-fan-bing-bing-for-3d-iceman-cometh.php

Must say I like the thought of this remake...

I really enjoyed the original when I first saw it on a Malaysian bootleg VHS (replete with stray adverts for Guiness stout at various points of the movie) way back in December 1989. To this day I still reckon it was one of Yuen Biao's finest SOLO movies...(of course that's not saying much considering some of the crap he has made!!)...while it isnt the most action PACKED movie, there are two great, and very different, action scenes at the start and finale...

...and personally I loved the idea of a bunch of street punks being given the "Shaolin Finger Jab" and being left frozen in their tracks, in that little action scene in the middle of the flik...

As for getting Biao to appear in the new movie, could turn it into Circus Kids 2??? Just what HK cinema needs....

Its amazing how just 10 years ago Donnie looked finished, what with pointless cameos in Blade 2 and THE CLASSIC Highlander Endgame (what a classic battle between Yen and Adrian Paul....not!!), then choreographing tripe like Twins Effect and PUMA etc...

Now Yen's the ONLY must watch guy in HK cinema....like Chan was in the 90's when he disappointed with EVERY movie-except Drunken 2!!

As for Maggie Cheung's voice...I remember being surprised when I first heard her speak English on Jonathan Ross's Incredibly Strange Film Show on Jackie Chan (still the DEFINITIVE look at Chan's career), when it first screened in 1989, she spoke English better than me!!!, but she has always been one of HK's finest actresses and whoever is playing her role in this remake will have to go some to better Maggie's performance!!

Archived