Three Outlaw Samurai announced by Criterion!

waywardsage

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! Now I can replace my HK DVD, where the subtitles were translated from Japanese into Chinese, and THEN they were translated into English. :bigsmile: (at least that's what I assume happened, since the English subs are kind of like abstract poetry that somewhat relate to what's happening on-screen).

And, I'm sure most here already know this, but I'll just mention that the Shaw movie "The Magnificent Trio" is a remake of this, and very enjoyable in its own right.

• Administrator

This is awesome news!!!! :nerd: Thanks Waywardsage. :bigsmile:

Awesome! Now I can replace my HK DVD, where the subtitles were translated from Japanese into Chinese, and THEN they were translated into English. :bigsmile: (at least that's what I assume happened, since the English subs are kind of like abstract poetry that somewhat relate to what's happening on-screen).

Amen brother! I have that craptastic DVD as well. The same re-re-retranslated subtitles were on that companies DVD releases of JUDO SAGA and some other classic chanbara... just ruining the story with their incompetence. But they were (at the time) the only way we had to see these films with any kind of subs, so... Better than nothing.

And, I'm sure most here already know this, but I'll just mention that the Shaw movie "The Magnificent Trio" is a remake of this, and very enjoyable in its own right.

Good info to share.

Amen brother! I have that craptastic DVD as well. The same re-re-retranslated subtitles were on that companies DVD releases of JUDO SAGA and some other classic chanbara... just ruining the story with their incompetence. But they were (at the time) the only way we had to see these films with any kind of subs, so... Better than nothing.

Yep, I also had Sanshiro Sugata and They Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail from that company---I replaced those two with Criterion's "First Films of Akira Kurosawa" box set last year. I do remember those HK discs were dirt cheap, at least---and like you said, that was about the only way to see them. But even with those crappy subs and poor picture quality, I could tell Three Outlaw Samurai was a classic!

are you kidding me ,.. lol ... why don't they focus on titles we have not seen

it's avalible here: http://www.samuraidvd.com/servlet/the-16/3-OUTLAW-SAMURAI/Detail

Are you kidding me? Who would pay for that stinking bootleg? :tongue:

That being said, of course it would be cool if Criterion released something that has never been out on (official) dvd before. But it's about time we get some first grade Gosha to US market (previously, Goyokin aside, R1 companies have opted for Gosha's lesser works), not to mention Blu-Ray. I may have to upgrade from my HK Video dvd, although it's quite a good release.

Are you kidding me? Who would pay for that stinking bootleg? :tongue:

That being said, of course it would be cool if Criterion released something that has never been out on (official) dvd before. But it's about time we get some first grade Gosha to US market (previously, Goyokin aside, R1 companies have opted for Gosha's lesser works), not to mention Blu-Ray. I may have to upgrade from my HK Video dvd, although it's quite a good release.

isn't all basically the same footage ?

i do understand the difference between bootleg crap and remastered,.. some of you guys seem to forget if it was not for bootlegs ,.. we would have been missing out on great films.

btw ,.. i do not think you can refer to films that did not get an official release of remastered quality as bootleg,.. bootleg means normally that someone ripped off an official release.

but yes $29.00 is high for a non-official release,.. that site was just an examaple:neutral:

bootleg means normally that someone ripped off an official release.

and what's that Three Outlaw Samurai dvd then? The official Japanese dvd (*) ripped, with subs added. Or did he even make the subs, or just rip them from the Hong Kong or the Italian release which are both subbed in English? Some of the dvds he has for sale are clearly copies of the original subtitled Japanese dvds...

I wonder if his HK Video and Wild Side Video bootlegs are even original PAL, or converted NTSC mess...

I can understand, though, that with so few Japanese classics being available outside Japan fans are sometimes forced to rely on bootlegs. I can't, however, understand the attitude that someone would support bootlegs at the expense of official releases.

* I'm not 100% sure it's from the Japanese dvd... although since he copied the artwork, it probably is. But it could also be from the HK Video dvd which I own, as he seems to have ripped a few of those, too.

OK once again I'm drawn into the Bootleg conversation. Merlin has put out movies that will never see a legit release! And believe me if your on his mailing list you get good deals & discounts on his DVDs! But I will always support a legit release of any movie that is put out!

Guest WuxiaFan
and what's that Three Outlaw Samurai dvd then? The official Japanese dvd (*) ripped, with subs added. Or did he even make the subs, or just rip them from the Hong Kong or the Italian release which are both subbed in English? Some of the dvds he has for sale are clearly copies of the original subtitled Japanese dvds...

I wonder if his HK Video and Wild Side Video bootlegs are even original PAL, or converted NTSC mess...

I can understand, though, that with so few Japanese classics being available outside Japan fans are sometimes forced to rely on bootlegs. I can't, however, understand the attitude that someone would support bootlegs at the expense of official releases.

* I'm not 100% sure it's from the Japanese dvd... although since he copied the artwork, it probably is. But it could also be from the HK Video dvd which I own, as he seems to have ripped a few of those, too.

Merlin at samuraiDVD is NOT a bootlegger. He releases Japanese films and TV shows that are not English subtitled and PAYS his translators to sub the films/TV shows. Then HE adds the subs himself to each disc. Also, Merlin will not release titles that already have a release from a distributor - an example of that would be 13 ASSASSINS. He has access to the Japanese uncut version, but he has no plans to release it as that would undercut Magnolia. If it wasn't for Merlin, we would have nearly as as much as we do have in the samurai genre. So, don't trash people if you don't know what you're talking about. :neutral:

OpiumKungFuCracker
Merlin at samuraiDVD is NOT a bootlegger. He releases Japanese films and TV shows that are not English subtitled and PAYS his translators to sub the films/TV shows. Then HE adds the subs himself to each disc. Also, Merlin will not release titles that already have a release from a distributor - an example of that would be 13 ASSASSINS. He has access to the Japanese uncut version, but he has no plans to release it as that would undercut Magnolia. If it wasn't for Merlin, we would have nearly as as much as we do have in the samurai genre. So, don't trash people if you don't know what you're talking about. :neutral:

Agreed, Merlin is as legit as they come... I'm a satisfied customer....

I'm not sure if you're arguing about the technically correct use of the term "bootleg", or if you're just clueless. Instead of bootlegger lets just call Merlin a thief, shall we. Then we don't make a mistake.

What he does is he rips the official dvd releases by Japanese and French companies (mainly Toei, Toho, HK Video and Wild Side Video), then he adds subtitles of his own, then in many cases he copies the dvd covers, adds a few words of English (except when he's lazy), and releases them as his own.

He did not purchase the rights to the films from the right holder. He did not license the transfers from the companies that created them. He did not acquire the rights to use the artworks he stole. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even in the US it's illeagal to steal products just because they were produced in a foreign country (if not, please let me know. I'll come to the states, steal cars from Canada, smuggle them to the states, put my own legally purchased tires to them, and then sell them to US customers as legitimate merchandise :wink:).

And like I said, some of his dvds, like Outrage, are clearly direct copies of the Japanese dvds. The Japanese Outrage dvd has English subs. He just ripped the disc and now sells copies under his own name. He even copied the front and back cover. Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees is another copy of an official English subtitled dvd. And Owl's Castle...

If you don't know what you're talking about maybe you shouldn't... :angel:

OpiumKungFuCracker

And please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even in the US it's illeagal to steal products just because they were produced in a foreign country (if not, please let me know. I'll come to the states, steal cars from Canada, smuggle them to the states, put my own legally purchased tires to them, and then sell them to US customers as legitimate merchandise :wink:).

China did it to Steve Jobs, fair game I guess...

QsfRilCl894

I'm not sure if you're arguing about the technically correct use of the term "bootleg", or if you're just clueless. Instead of bootlegger lets just call Merlin a thief, shall we. Then we don't make a mistake.

What he does is he rips the official dvd releases by Japanese and French companies (mainly Toei, Toho, HK Video and Wild Side Video), then he adds subtitles of his own, then in many cases he copies the dvd covers, adds a few words of English (except when he's lazy), and releases them as his own.

He did not purchase the rights to the films from the right holder. He did not license the transfers from the companies that created them. He did not acquire the rights to use the artworks he stole. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think even in the US it's illeagal to steal products just because they were produced in a foreign country (if not, please let me know. I'll come to the states, steal cars from Canada, smuggle them to the states, put my own legally purchased tires to them, and then sell them to US customers as legitimate merchandise :wink:).

And like I said, some of his dvds, like Outrage, are clearly direct copies of the Japanese dvds. The Japanese Outrage dvd has English subs. He just ripped the disc and now sells copies under his own name. He even copied the front and back cover. Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees is another copy of an official English subtitled dvd. And Owl's Castle...

If you don't know what you're talking about maybe you shouldn't... :angel:

Your technically correct. If Merlin does not pay for distribution rights, he is legally stealing product.

• Administrator

I just watched THREE OUTLAW SAMURAI and I loved it. This was Hideo Gosha's first film? What an accomplishment. It was beautifully filmed, totally engrossing, filled with terrific performances, and pretty fast paced as well. Every element felt just right. Thanks Criterion. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10.

Archived