Gordon Chan's 'The Four' Trilogy (2012/2013/2014)

ShaOW!linDude

Gotta say I like the whole trilogy. Part 2 is the best of the three but the finale didn't disappoint me. Less martial arts than in the prequel but more classic wuxia fireworks like in SWORSMAN 2 or MAGIC CRANE. Some characters remain tragically underdeveloped but there is enough to like about the final installment. Too bad they hired Peter Kam for the scores of Part 2 and 3, I absolutely loved Henry Lais music for the first film.

One Armed Boxer
Lionsgate is releasing The Four II as this on September 2nd:

lawless.png

http://www.cityonfire.com/gordon-chans-mystical-wuxia-saga-continues-with-the-four-2/

Interesting that in the international re-title (apart from the fact that it doesn't contain any mention of 'legend' or 'dragon'!) is that it makes no allusion to this being a sequel. So potentially someone who has no knowledge of 'The Four' series could pick this up, and end up incredibly confused as to what exactly is going on.

Also to add to the (potential) confusion is that it says "The Ultimate Battle Begins" when it actually suppose to be "the Ultimate Battle Continues".

Maybe the retitling have something to do with different companies have the rights to the different parts.

Well Go USA have part 1.

Lionsgate have part 2.

And part 3?

I already have all 3 parts on Blu-ray (the colection boxset). I also have part 1 seperately on 3D Blu-ray and it looks awesome.

One Armed Boxer
Maybe the retitling have something to do with different companies have the rights to the different parts.

Well Go USA have part 1.

Lionsgate have part 2.

And part 3?

Interesting, and I'm sure your theory is correct, but still, it's very mis-leading. I wonder why Well Go USA didn't go for all three, as it was always intended as a trilogy.

I already have all 3 parts on Blu-ray (the colection boxset)

That's the set that I've got.

Iron_Leopard

Any fans of this series? I just watched the first two movies for the first time this past week. Still need to see Part 3 so don't spoil please. 

I've been on a Liu Yifei kick recently and sought these out. I enjoyed them for what they are. Namely Chinese X-Men movies. The love triangle is kind of forced and needless but the action delivers. And that's what we show up for anyway.

Looking forward to the final installment. I'll probably watch it this weekend. 

• Like 2

Is it related to the TVB series The four, and to the earlier ATV series The undercover agents and Return of the undercover agents ?

• Like 1

Iron_Leopard
47 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Is it related to the TVB series The four, and to the earlier ATV series The undercover agents and Return of the undercover agents ?

I think so. I read that there was a tv adaptation of this series as well.

• Like 2

Iron_Leopard

I just watched Part 3. About as good as the second for me.

I rate the trilogy like this..

The Four 8/10

The Four 2 7/10

The Four 3 7/10

I wish we had a part 4 just for the title lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One Armed Boxer
On 6/24/2015 at 10:08 PM, One Armed Boxer said:

That's the set that I've got.

& almost 10 years later, I finally got around to a 'The Four' trilogy marathon. I definitely didn't enjoy these as much as @Iron_Leopard, with my highest rating going to the third instalment (5.5/10). I gave them all the full review treatment over at COF - 

The Four (2012) - https://cityonfire.com/the-four-2012-review-martial-arts-wuxia-superhero/

The Four 2 (2013) - https://cityonfire.com/the-four-2-2013-review-asian-martial-arts/

The Four 3 (2014) - https://cityonfire.com/the-four-3-aka-the-four-final-battle-2014-review-martial-arts-movie-asian-action/

• Like 2