Alan Mak/Felix Chong

DiP

I've recently began to take interest in these two directors. To date, I've seen the Infernal Affairs trilogy, Confession Of Pain, the Overheard films and The Lost Bladesman. What other of their films should I watch?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The low-budget recent solo shot by Chung Man-Keung, ONCE A GANGSTER, a pretty hilarious triad spoof, is worth getting. If you're a true HK cinema head the nuttiness and all those sick references to bygone gangsta flicks alone will crack you up!

Mak’s fabulous A WAR CALLED DESIRE is a must-own, the Mei Ah DVD is still fairly easy to track down.

And, for a change, try their combined effort MOONLIGHT IN TOKYO. Don’t get fooled by the happy-go-lucky DVD cover art, this really is an absorbing and very charming film.

They totally botched that one to appease the Chinese censors. Avoid I'd say.. until there's a chance to see the full, uncut directors version!

OVERHEARD (1) is a pretty good example of how to circumvent censorship and OVERHEARD 2 (haven't watched the BD yet but just spend a whopping 235 HK bucks for it in the cheapest Mongkok DVD den I could find!) was a gigantic box office smash on the Mainland.

Archived