Ringo Lam's best film?

De Ming Li

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full Contact is damn fine also. However much applaused city on fire did not do it for me.While there is similarities to reservoir dogs I have to say dogs is far superior movie:nerd:

Agreed. I love RD. Remember hearing about him when I was getting into the more modren HK stuff back in the 90s. Watched a bit and never could get into anything he made. He wasn't like Woo or Tsui Hark or the like.

My favorite of his hands down is Burning Paradise. I love that movie. Full Contact I like but have to be in the mood. Like The Adventurers for its style. Color/b/w use. Movie as a whole is not strong. I'd put Maximum Risk second. Really like that one as well.

Basically aside from those above, I find his stuff boring. The acting may be good but the presentation is so dull I can't get into it. I remember when Full Alert was being hyped as his benchmark film. Didn't do it for me. Always love Lau Ching Wan but no. Those are the things that kept me from ever wanting to See Victim. He was just too dull.

Strangely enough, I like all of his JCVD stuff.

Full Contact hands down for me, such a great revenge story with a top of there game performance from Chow Yun Fat and Simon Yam

Ringo Lam at his best:

School on Fire (when will we get the uncut version of this?)

City On Fire

Prison On Fire

Full Alert

Victim (grittiness/docu-style combined with sixth sense-psychology, just incredible!)

Honorable mentions:

Burning Paradise

Wild Search

Full Contact

Triangle

I'm a big Ringo Lam fan in general so I like his other stuff but they just ain't cutting it like the ones I mentioned. He came really close with Undeclared War but the international feel (with American actors, fluffy English dialogue) made it completely different. Prison On Fire 2 was different for its' own reason: almost new cast, new vibe, watered-down approach of the personals that Lam brought in Part 1. Between the good stuff Point Of No Return (aka Touch & Go), The Twin Dragons, The Adventurers, and The Suspect came along which was when Lam lowered himself. Some interesting stuff but basically things integrated in material below his own standards. And then Looking For Mister Perfect was made (what the hell was that?) and Lam was completely off track.

Full Contact... first saw it when I was 14, and actually didn't like it (just like the HK audiences, I was overwhelmed by the romantic John Woo - Chow Yun Fat collaborations at the time, and didn't dig the far more brutal approach Lam had) but later fell in love with it. Now it's one of my Top 10 HK movies.

... the funny thing is, I sold my Mei Ah dvd after the first viewing... later I had to go through a lot of trouble to get the same release back because it had gone OOP and replaced by new editions all of which had fucked up audio...

Archived