Shaolin:The Blood Mission (1984)

Guest morgoth

Guest morgoth

I was looking at the credits and a few names stood out

Godfrey Ho-dubbing supervisor(luckily, that was probably it on this)

Tomas Tang-producer-I am beginning to see this guy did actually do a few good movies

Walter Mark-assistant director-I dont these names

Vincent Leung-director

Dallie Yeung-associate producer

Yam Sai Koon-action director

The movie is corny but very good. I just had no idea Tang and Godfrey Ho had a hand in it.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

I doubt they did... this was very likely either a Korean film with newly added inserts or a HK-Korean co-production made for another company and bought by IFD or Filmark. I've never seen it myself... so maybe someone else can fill in the blanks?

Guest dager in the cotton

this film was released in Korea as 4 ginats of Shaolin,

i think it has some HK involevement as it features 2 HK/China kung fu actors. I don't think Thomas and crew had anything to do with the filming of the project , for sure no Godfrey ho input.

Guest morgoth

Has anyone heard the dubbing? It is definitely Godfrey Ho. I don't see what the credits wouldn't be correct. And I edited my post above from Thomas Tang to Tomas Tang since I added an 'h' when putting it up. The names of the actors definitely makes it seem like a Godfry Ho project.

Jack Sun, Frankie Poon, Wong Cheng Li(this guys good:p ), Ronny Ho, Olivia Hung, Arthur Kim, Terry Wang, Tony Lee, Larry Kang, Steve Chan, Michael Leu??, Harold Tong, Joe Szeto, Sean Poon, Danny Cheng, and Chris Yang.

Also in credits it says Englidsh Version-Vaughan Savidge.

Godfrey Ho actually only directed or produced a handful of films. Nearly everything credited to him is bogus. He bought the rights up to films and slapped his name (or that of others) on them to act as if he directed them. Usually he simply cut scenes and added scenes from other (finished or unfinished) films.

Guest morgoth

All that I am saying about Ho is that the dubbing is VERY familiar to movies that have his name associated it. Plus, why would he only list himself as dubbing supervisor? You would think that he would name himself director for a movie this good.

Guest morgoth

OK, back to what I am trying to figure out. Can anyone confirm who produced this? IMDB you would think is right, but the opening credits say Tomas Tang. Obviously Tang and Ho are associated, and I have to think that they had a hand in this movie. It is SOOO much better than other Hwang/Godfrey Ho projects, but you can still clearly see a lot of the Ho influences. It's competently directed, even though there is some very stupid stuff going on.

So basically I am just trying to figure out if Tang was actually the producer.

And did Hwang do any other movies with this director?

Guest Chinatown Kid

Some say Godfrey Ho and Tomas tang are the same person. When Ho sold off his company Filmark to Tomas Tang, it is speculated that Ho was really selling it to himself as a tax dodge. In the back offices of IFD Ho invented his "secret technique" of making exploitation movies, a method he has denied to this day. His company found a room full of films there-both finished and unfinished-and Ho hit upon an idea. Here he had in his possesion movies that were already half complete. He got the idea why not shoot some more footage to fill out the running time and release them as new movies. Thats were you got these Frankenstein creations of one part of a movie put together with a totally different movie as one. Ho claims Tomas Tang died in an apartment fire in HK in 1983. All this info can be found in VideoHound's Dragon review book.

but the opening credits say Tomas Tang.

Tang and Ho changed the credits to every movie as I said. These films were made in Korea by Korean companies. They came through later, bought up the films, and put their names on them. When you say you're seeing a lot of "Ho influences," it's really that you're seeing a lot of Korean influences.

Guest morgoth

Godfrey Ho was for sure a mad scientist of movie making. I always thought that him and Tang were the same person too. There are some other Ho disciples, and they also carry his movie making disease. So I guess he could be many people.

I guess this is a Tomas Tang film, cause it has the Filmark logo. Godfrey Ho and/or Tang must have had very little do this with this movie though, because it is just so good. And the ending to the movie is incredibly ridiculous, but it is still not nearly as bad as a Godfrey Ho movie.

I would really like to know what other movies this director did with Hwang. Hwang's acting is superb, and the way the director films him just makes it even better.

Just to add to Linn's comments, the stupidness just seems like it is Godfrey Ho influenced. It is done much better, but it still seems unique to Ho's other stuff.

And before you say he made nothing, did he make Dragon On Fire? I have always considered that his masterpiece.

All this info can be found in VideoHound's Dragon review book.

Which they copied off a site (which happens quite a bit in that book BTW) that was famous for making up all kind of info on Tang and Ho. They guy even had a fake interview with Ho! Tomas Tang is a real person. Ho and Tang came up with the rather crooked idea of buying up completed films for cheap, slapping their names on them, often combining them with unfinished work, and then distributing it to various countries. As I said, the credits for both are inflated due to this. They later split up on bad terms and Tang handles IFD today. He still comes to Film Marts, so I can safely say he's not dead. :)

Guest Chinatown Kid

Thanks for setting that straight Linn, it goes to show I shouldn't believe everything I read.:P Wonder if they stole that info off one of Mr. Meyers sites? :lol

So did Ho make Dragon on Fire with John Liu?

is the million dollar question, because it's the only Ho film that looks solid and completely different from even the stuff he actually did direct. It's a strange film, but not in a way that's typical of God Ho. I would LOVE to ask John Liu about that.

Guest morgoth

That is why I was so skeptical of Blood Mission beign made by him and Tang. It is for sure not 2 films. That guy has to be rich if he was able to sell all of these movies without ever actually making any.

Guest morgoth

Thanks for the link Brucelong. I guess all the really cheesy stuff comes from Godrey Ho. I just wonder how he was able to put his and Tang's name on it.

Guest Markgway

The only way to be sure would be to get hold of the Korean version (assuming there's a tape) and check for differences. Regardless, it's extremely unlikely Ho and Tang would have had anything to do with the filmmaking side. At best they bought the international distribution rights and changed only the credits. Even though the KOFA always favours the Korean cast and crew, I would say it's fairly certain that the man credited with direction did direct the film.

Guest dager in the cotton
Tang handles IFD today. He still comes to Film Marts, so I can safely say he's not dead

you must be using a Taoist Foo paper if yo see Tang at film marts, he died - burnt to death in a terrible filre in 1997.

and whats wrong in buying a film and the re dubbing and adding much better sound effects and music and then selling it on, as far as the Koreans were concerned this was fair game. they don't care about those films. We should thank Lai and Tang if not for them we would most probalbly never seen those films they would have ended up on the scrap heap like Canton Viper

You got me. You're completely correct, it was Joseph Lai at the filmmart. My memory is not what it was I'm sad to say. :o But Tang was a real person. And I have no problem with them getting the films per se, I have a problem with them taking credit for making them. And the Koreans are just now realizing what they did. Once the film was made, the studios were the ones making the deals. Many of the directors had no idea their movies ever made it outside of Korea until a few years ago. Let alone that someone took credit for making them. I'm certainly glad to see the films, I would just like to see the correct people credited for them is all.

Guest Chinatown Kid

So Tang did die in a fire but it was in 1997 and not 1983. Looks like there was some truth to the stuff Videohound got from that site, but wonder if it was written on that site before he died in 1997 and it was just some crap they made up alltogether? It can definately get confusing with all the false info out there that's for sure!

I didn't like the stuff Tang and Ho did with combining the unfinished films with other footage, it made for bad continuity and just looked tacky to me. I remember watching one film on vhs years ago called The Blazing Ninja which featured scenes from Enter Three Dragons spliced in. From what I remember that movie made little sense and I felt like it was cheating the audience by taking footage from another film to pad out the running time. That's just my 2 cents though. :)

Archived