George Lazenby's Golden Harvest Films: Stoner, Man From Hong Kong & Queen's Ransom

mpm74

Cognoscente

Stoner is weird for me because the movie co-stars actresses who didn't attend Bruce's HK funeral - Angela and Betty. The latter's memoir could have done with having anecdotes about the making of Stoner, and Lazenby in general.

gl.jpg

• Like 2

Charles Heung is married to Ting Pei ?!

I didn't know that ! When did they married. ? Are they still together ? I remember that they played together in a movie, I forgot the title.

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Charles Heung is married to Ting Pei ?!

I didn't know that ! When did they married. ? Are they still together ? I remember that they played together in a movie, I forgot the title.

Only for four years from '76 to '80. He married Tiffany Chen that year and are still together today.

• Like 3

It's weird that no-one over at Golden Movie News had taken a pic of the two, but then it's also weird that this Golden Harvest magazine didn't publish any photos of Bruce on the set of When Taekwondo Strikes.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

It's weird that no-one over at Golden Movie News had taken a pic of the two, but then it's also weird that this Golden Harvest magazine didn't publish any photos of Bruce on the set of When Taekwondo Strikes.

Did Golden Harvest mention anything in the media in regards to Bruce Lee's connection to When Taekwondo Strikes?.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Did Golden Harvest mention anything in the media in regards to Bruce Lee's connection to When Taekwondo Strikes?.

Andre Morgan certainly never did.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Andre Morgan certainly never did.

They might have wanted to film to stand on its own two legs, and not just and cash in on the Bruce Lee connection?.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, saltysam said:

Think Lazenby is a bit of a bullshitter personally.

At least about Bond contract (7 films when Moore only did 2 movie contract first.....Moore was actually gonna quit Bond after MR but did 3 mo(o)re , cant blame him , they paid a lot

• Like 3

It's weird when you compare the age that Moore was on his final 007 movie with that of Tom Cruise in his latest M:I romp.

Edited by Cognoscente
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cognoscente said:

It's weird when you compare the age that Morse was on his final 007 movie with that of Tom Cruise in his latest M:I romp.

I liked the bit in Moore's memoir where he talks about hiding Grace Jones's and Tanya Roberts's lipstick (during the filming of A View to a Kill) because he thought they were obsessed with it. He said they would look in their purses for it, and, not finding it, pull out a second, auxiliary tube of lipstick to use.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2021 at 6:01 PM, DrNgor said:

I liked the bit in Moore's memoir where he talks about hiding Grace Jones's and Tanya Roberts's lipstick (during the filming of A View to a Kill) because he thought they were obsessed with it. He said they would look in their purses for it, and, not finding it, pull out a second, auxiliary tube of lipstick to use.

I loved the bit where Tanya Roberts wanted an disguise outfit tailored to her figure for a particular scene, and because of the alterations they lost about a day of filming. So when they finally came to shoot the scene, Moore ad-libbed at her, 'couldn't you find one that fits?'

Absolute class. Miss that man.

• Like 1

It's funny how Jackie Chan managed to avoid appearing in Lazenby's three Golden Harvest films.

He was working for Shaw Brothers by the time that Lazenby began training for Stoner, he was supposedly too busy working in Korea to appear in The Man from Hong Kong*, and he had already left HK for Australia by the time that A Queen's Ransom began filming**.

* Presumably because of John Woo's The Hand of Death, which Sammo Hung also worked on.

** Jackie claimed in his two books that lack of opportunities made him want to leave HK before he returned to sign Lo Wei's contract. It's odd that AQR is the only Lazenby film that Sammo didn't work on.

• Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 3:52 AM, Cognoscente said:

It's funny how Jackie Chan managed to avoid appearing in Lazenby's three Golden Harvest films.

He was working for Shaw Brothers by the time that Lazenby began training for Stoner, he was supposedly too busy working in Korea to appear in The Man from Hong Kong*, and he had already left HK for Australia by the time that A Queen's Ransom began filming**.

* Presumably because of John Woo's The Hand of Death, which Sammo Hung also worked on.

** Jackie claimed in his two books that lack of opportunities made him want to leave HK before he returned to sign Lo Wei's contract. It's odd that AQR is the only Lazenby film that Sammo didn't work on.

Do you know why Sammo couldnt work on A Queen's Ransom? 

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane
6 hours ago, Josh Baker said:

Do you know why Sammo couldnt work on A Queen's Ransom? 

Sammo spent a lot of time abroad in '75/'76, shooting in Taiwan, Korea, Australia and Nepal (or Tibet or wherever they shot The Himalayan). 

• Like 2

Angela Mao was in both The Himalayan and A Queen's Ransom, so it seems like Sammo could have made some time for the very little martial arts action that was on display in AQR.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Come on Eureka/88...give us STONER on Blu-ray!

I think it's a shit film unfortunately, the only saving grace being the end fight. However, it would be nice to see the joint most expensive Golden Harvest film of its day (with ETD) in HD to see how effectively (or ineffectively) the money was spent.

• Like 3