Special ID (2013)

DiP

One Armed Boxer

It seems a little tragic to me that the same day 'Special ID' finally gets a trailer, there isn't a single response to it....while the new movie by the RZA already has several posts being clocked up!:tongue:

I've no doubt it has more to do with most members probably putting it down to the new post being some smidgen of production or release info....I'll admit I'm also guilty of mostly skipping over posts related to movies that aren't out yet, I prefer to just wait for the finished product. DIP....you should include 'New Trailer' in the title for this thread!

Very promising trailer, if it delivers on the fisty cuffs and vehicular mayhem on display then we'll be in for a modern day classic. Also love the lack of any pumping soundtrack playing over the proceedings...instead literally letting the action speaks volumes. Good stuff.

Looks fantastic!

I have to hand it to Donnie, he knows how to deliver a fight scene.

So that's 3 new Donnie films to watch out for!

Drunken Monk

Now that, right there, is a fucking trailer! This has shot to the top of my "Must see" list. Even the non-martial arts action looks incredible.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I got my ass kicked just watching that trailer.. Where can I contact the movie people so that the next Donnie Yen movie I want to be a henchman and would like my ass kicked by Donnie Yen on film. How cool would that be?

Now that, right there, is a fucking trailer! This has shot to the top of my "Must see" list. Even the non-martial arts action looks incredible.

Well said. Looks absolutely fantastic.

odioustrident

Donnie has become pretty damn consistent now; this looks great. Hopefully they made Ken Lo look good for a change.... He gets to go back to his Muay Thai roots.

Is it right to say there are 3 fights, 1 shootout and 1 car chase in this trailer? Did the Colin Chou fight make it to the final cut?

Not a big Donnie's fan but that got my interest. Looks like a really great mix of MA and stunts. High quality stuff..Punches look very powerful..

Now it's my second "must see" movie after Benny Chan's White Storm

Is it right to say there are 3 fights, 1 shootout and 1 car chase in this trailer? Did the Colin Chou fight make it to the final cut?

I've seen most of the Cannes trailer (bootleg), and I counted 3 major fight scenes - Donnie vs Collin's gang BOTH inside and outside a restaurant/HQ (?), Donnie vs Ken Lo inside a mahjong parlor, and Donnie vs Andy On at the edge of a dead-end of highway bridge - and an action/hide-n-seek scene inside a warehouse at night.

This new trailer has glimpses of Donnie vs Collin Chou - he's the one slamming Donnie (a BTS photo shows both of them inside a toilet room) on the urinal at 0:11-0:12 - as well as one shoot-out scene featuring Zhang Hanyu playing an international assassin, and one car chase scene involving actual stuntwork from both lead actress Jing Tian and Andy On with Donnie on their trail. Overall, I'd say 7 major action set-pieces so far.

Action star Donnie Yen seeks changes in "Special ID"

BEIJING, July 22 (Xinhua) -- Action star Donnie Yen said Monday he sought to challenge his stereotyped image by bringing out more of the protagonist's personality in his latest film "Special ID."

"I used to concentrate on how to thrill audiences with my martial arts," Yen said at a press conference. "But now, I wish to combine personality with action."

"Special ID," directed by Clarence Fok Yiu-Leung, revolves around an undercover police officer's fight with a ruthless underworld gang. It is scheduled to debut in October this year.

Although he is known for popularizing the Wing Chun martial arts style, Yen said would rather try a challenging role that includes different styles.

"My kung-fu shouldn't be confined merely to the Wing Chun school," he said.

Yen said the film's complicated storyline and the protagonist's sophisticated personality inspired him to take on the movie.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/entertainment/2013-07/22/c_132563426.htm

Drunken Monk
Action star Donnie Yen seeks changes in "Special ID"

BEIJING, July 22 (Xinhua) -- Action star Donnie Yen said Monday he sought to challenge his stereotyped image by bringing out more of the protagonist's personality in his latest film "Special ID."

"I used to concentrate on how to thrill audiences with my martial arts," Yen said at a press conference. "But now, I wish to combine personality with action."

"Special ID," directed by Clarence Fok Yiu-Leung, revolves around an undercover police officer's fight with a ruthless underworld gang. It is scheduled to debut in October this year.

Although he is known for popularizing the Wing Chun martial arts style, Yen said would rather try a challenging role that includes different styles.

"My kung-fu shouldn't be confined merely to the Wing Chun school," he said.

Yen said the film's complicated storyline and the protagonist's sophisticated personality inspired him to take on the movie.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/entertainment/2013-07/22/c_132563426.htm

It's ridiculous that anyone would even think he's confined to Wing Chun anyway. Just because he had a few hits based on Ip Man doesn't mean he's tied to that particular martial art.

He should even have to say that. But then I'm always amazed at how many people associate Wing Chun more with Donnie Yen than Ip Man.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
It's ridiculous that anyone would even think he's confined to Wing Chun anyway. Just because he had a few hits based on Ip Man doesn't mean he's tied to that particular martial art.

He should even have to say that. But then I'm always amazed at how many people associate Wing Chun more with Donnie Yen than Ip Man.

That's what happens when newbies get into certain actors after watching their breakout movies. Understandable.

I once had a guy tell me that "Ya know, Jet Li's training is from the Hung Gar style. That's why he played Wong Fei-Hung in the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA movies." Trying not to sound condescending, I explained that I knew for a fact that Jet's main training was actually in Wushu, and that though it should have featured Jet doing Hung Gar, there was hardly any of that style in those films at all. He laughed in my face and said something like "Try reading a book! You don't know nuthin"!" :smile: Um... okay. :angel:

thank goodness for this

I thought Donnie had fallen into a dead zone with the poor looking iceman & monkey king trailers

I can't see how Donnie's falling into a dead zone making two other movies that are entirely different from this one. I'm not looking forward to Monkey King (apart from the action) but Iceman looks good enough for me for what it is; part ancient, modern, comedy, and sci-fi movie. Movies have their own agendas and messages to convey.

One Armed Boxer
I once had a guy tell me that "Ya know, Jet Li's training is from the Hung Gar style. That's why he played Wong Fei-Hung in the ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA movies." Trying not to sound condescending, I explained that I knew for a fact that Jet's main training was actually in Wushu, and that though it should have featured Jet doing Hung Gar, there was hardly any of that style in those films at all. He laughed in my face and said something like "Try reading a book! You don't know nuthin"!" Um... okay.

Bob, you've never mentioned that you met Ric Meyers before!

I thought Donnie had fallen into a dead zone with the poor looking iceman & monkey king trailers

I see where you're coming from, out of the 15 or so action orientated movies that Donnie's churned out since 'Sha Po Lang' heralded him as the second coming for HK action cinema...truthfully the only one's I've enjoyed aside from 'Sha Po Lang' itself are 'Flash Point', 'Ip Man', '14 Blades', and 'Wu Xia'. Still....as long as he keeps averaging one movie every 18 months which I love, I can't complain. 'Special ID' looks like it'll definitely be one of them, and it's about due.:tongue:

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Bob, you've never mentioned that you met Ric Meyers before!

I almost put in parentheses "Before anyone asks- no, it wasn't Ric", but I didn't want to take a cheap shot. I swear I'm not kidding. But still... as a "one-armed boxer" you have to take the cheap shots whenever you can I guess? :tongue: Kidding of course. :wink:

I see where you're coming from, out of the 15 or so action orientated movies that Donnie's churned out since 'Sha Po Lang' heralded him as the second coming for HK action cinema...truthfully the only one's I've enjoyed aside from 'Sha Po Lang' itself are 'Flash Point', 'Ip Man', '14 Blades', and 'Wu Xia'. Still....as long as he keeps averaging one movie every 18 months which I love, I can't complain. 'Special ID' looks like it'll definitely be one of them, and it's about due.:tongue:

Surprised how few people enjoyed THE LOST BLADESMAN. It was flawed for sure. But I still enjoyed it a lot.

But good point- his "win" record is pretty impressive.