Special ID (2013)

DiP

so when the hell is this movie coming out? I'd heard Nov, but still nothing, not even a trailer. Will this still be a 2012 release, or pushed back till 2013?

I'm guessing either a January or February 2013 release. December 2012 is unlikely because that would mean Donnie would have to go up against Chinese Zodiac and The Grandmasters, which will amount for more crowd-attraction and bigger income at the box-office than Donnie's film.

Ever wonder why there haven't been any news (stills, trailers, press conference) on the movie? Well, here's a possible reason...

Apparently, Tan Bing (original director and writer who claimed he was robbed of his script by Donnie) is now trying to prevent Special Identity from being released with the help of powerful lawyers - whom have sent letters to SARFT (State Administration of Radio, Film, and Television) to take action and suspend the movie's licensing - while demanding huge compensation from Donnie for the alleged breach of contract that happened in February this year.

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fent.sina.com.cn%2Fm%2Fc%2F2012-10-23%2F16453770207.shtml (Eng translation)

http://ent.sina.com.cn/m/c/2012-10-23/16453770207.shtml

not the kind of news I wanted to hear. I hope they get everything worked out ASAP. I will be so pissed if this movie never sees the light of day!

With all the drama behind this production, some minor news emerged from reliable sources over at Weibo from someone involved in the making of the film and confirmed Special Identity is now in post-production. We'll still see it in 2013!

Exclusive footage of an intense car chase featuring lead actress Jing Tian and Andy On have recently been shown. This means that trailers should out soon! Also, opposed to previous reports of Donnie Yen vs Andy On being the film's final fight, the last fight will actually be Donnie fighting Collin Chou.

http://www.impactonline.co/news/1156-donnie-yen-identity-andy-on

One Armed Boxer
Also, opposed to previous reports of Donnie Yen vs Andy On being the film's final fight, the last fight will actually be Donnie fighting Collin Chou.

Interesting news, isn't this now the third time they'll have gone at it on film? I'd prefer to see him fighting someone new, but I know the talent pool in HK these days is quite slim pickings. As long as it's not a rehash of the finale of 'Flash Point' I'm still looking forward to seeing this, although I hope Chou gets more licks in this time than he did in their previous fight. The problem for me with a lot of Donnie's self-choreographed movies is that the one-on-one matches always start out evenly matched, before descending into a one-sided Donnie beatdown, and 'Flash Point' for me was a good example of this.

That's why I love 'Tiger Cage 2' so much, Donnie in a modern day actioner being directed by Yuen Woo Ping was just the perfect combination, and you actually felt like he was in danger of being beaten during the fights.

Third time it is.

I think Yen's slowing improving as far as choreographing more balanced fight scenes and giving room for his co-stars to shine. In Bodyguards & Assassins he turned Cung Le into a bully while managing to make Andy On menacing enough to pose a threat in The Lost Bladesman, and handed all the ass-whooping to Jimmy Wang Yu during the finale of Wu Xia.

It seems to be out of problems. Maybe SARFT didn't bother to proceed with Tan Bing's actions of suspending the movie's licensing. Donnie recently filed a lawsuit against Bing though but it's a different matter and a case of restoring what was damaged.

by the way, someone mentioned on Donnie's FB page that Bruce Law told them the final fight is the one between Yen and On. I've got Bruce as a friend as well, but I didn't want to ask him anything about the production because I thought maybe he couldn't answer. either way, the film is gonna be awesome! bring on the trailer and the release date already!!