Special ID (2013)

DiP

Watchable with some entertaining parts. Nothing outstanding or anything that makes me want to watch it again.

It reminded me a lot of the video game Sleeping Dogs.

IMO it's a big, loud, goofball of a film with fantastic action. I enjoyed it the same way as one of the old '80s-'90s Hong Kong action flicks. Back when we didn't really expect a HK movie to make a whole hell of a lot of sense, but knew we could expect to see some crazy ass action scenes.

You nailed the f*ck out of it right there dude. Perfectly said.

If Special ID was made in 1992, it would be the what Police Story 3 was... one of the greatest action films of all time.

The way it turned out made sense, coming from Clarence Fok, who is very old school. They shoulda made Special ID actually take place in the early 90s, that way it would be an inside joke, hence, an artistic masterpiece.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I tried to see it as one of those old skool goofball comedies but the acting to me was atrocious. The editing was somewhat comical and the fight scenes were really nothing to write home about. What scene specifically you guys thought it was comical?

I tried to see it as one of those old skool goofball comedies but the acting to me was atrocious. The editing was somewhat comical and the fight scenes were really nothing to write home about. What scene specifically you guys thought it was comical?

Any scene involving Jing Tian.

Now that ive bought the bluray and seeing this for the second time, this was a huge let down. The Ken Lo fight scene was a disgrace, the dialogue is horrible, Donnie Yen acts like a kid, etc. The only saving grace is the amazing chase scene and alright Donnie vs all and Final battle scenes. Such a waste of a good modern film opportunity.

FrankBolte
Now that ive bought the bluray and seeing this for the second time, this was a huge let down. Such a waste of a good modern film opportunity.

thats harsh...I had the complete opposite effect..after I bought the blu-ray I actually liked the movie much more.. cant touch SPL though

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought this was worth a purchase. Decent acting and good style and good action. It's not nearly as bad as some of the other Donnie Yen movies I have. Nice to see Ken Lo in a good fight scene again. I thought he looked kinda weak in Bad Blood. Not a great movie or anything, but enjoyable. The final fight was disappointing, mainly because I was instantly comparing it to Flashpoint.

If this was made in 92 it would definitely be a classic. I'd rather watch Special I.D. than the Tiger Cage movies.

sifu iron perm

to my uk/london folk, you can watch this at the prince charles on the 31st may..along with chinese zodiac.

masterofoneinchpunch

I have mixed feelings on Special ID and here is some random unorganized blather. I feel that the plot here is worse than Flashpoint, but the fighting scenes are quite good. Donnie Yen keeps improving his choreography with an eclectic style that does not seem to repeat itself much (with some exceptions like a leg triangle that results in a reversal by picking up and either ramming the participant into something or power bomb ala Flashpoint.) I am seriously impressed with Donnie Yen for his continual work in martial arts, but his improvement as an actor. Some on here were criticizing his "overacting" but it fits the role. I was hoping for more of a Donnie Brasco influence from the aspect of being undercover for too long, but the plot was too disjointed for its own good.

I am not impressed with the script or some of the characters motivations. For example cop Jian Tian, she is either a reckless cop or just stupid (though her fight scene in the car was impressive, her earlier one not as much because her frame is Ally McBeal like where I just feel she would not do any damage; how she got to the car was rather unbelievable.) She has the annoying aspect of "straight cop" where she has to ignore the advice of the sage "street wise", but, of course, puts herself in danger as well as his fellow cops. In one scene she literally jumps into an unseen area putting herself in complete harms way (a no-no for any half-decent cop, because it is an easy set-up for an ambush), but is thankfully saved by Donnie Yen's character who is then taken hostage. She dispatches the bad guy luckily, but then is sad for killing him (yet not sad for getting several officers shot, herself almost shot and Donnie Yen's character almost shot.)

The transition from Hong Kong to China was done fine, but the transition to other locales seemed arbitrary. I lost track of where they were at several points. How did he get back to his Mom so quickly? The whole plot structure was flawed as well (was there a finished script, it does not feel like one) with Collin Chou being badly misused. I do wonder how many of these issues were because of the Mainland's influence/guidelines. I mean the Mainland cops seemed like bumpkins. At first I thought it might be a clever dig from the director, but I wonder if it was just the incompetence of the screenplay and/or director.

But the action was good, damn good in several instances. I liked the repeated ground punches that Yen used in a fight scene involving multiple fighters against him. Vicious yes, but effective. I agree with he sometimes gets off a little easier than he should for dramatic urgency, but I was still impressed with the variations in the choreography.

Now if they had only built up a decent film around him.

Kung Fu Bob: you had made some nice points about this film throughout the thread. I love grappling and ground transition moves so I think as you state a knowledge of those does help with the film. Ultimately I judge the film lower then you do because of some of the points I made above.

Unless I do a review of the film I'm not sure I'll watch the film in its entirety, but I will watch the action scenes again.

massa_yoda

I lost track of where they were at several points. How did he get back to his Mom so quickly?

Yes, this part confused me. Also, why did it take him so long to realize he needed to rush back to her? This part needed an extra round in the editing room.

I actually enjoyed this film. It was exactly what I was expecting, as I mentioned in the "last modern martial-arts Cinema film you watched" thread. I'd be interested in reading a full review from you.

masterofoneinchpunch
Yes, this part confused me. Also, why did it take him so long to realize he needed to rush back to her? This part needed an extra round in the editing room.

I actually enjoyed this film. It was exactly what I was expecting, as I mentioned in the "last modern martial-arts Cinema film you watched" thread. I'd be interested in reading a full review from you.

Did you mentally compare this to Flashpoint when watching it? I did at a couple of points: the last fight, the action being stronger than the plot throughout.

Yeah, that was weird. It was the first thing on my mind was "oh crap, Mom." But it took him awhile. Seriously first thing would have been to call his Mom -- pick up the cell phone instead of running Donnie (same thing with his injured mom, have the ambulance come to you instead of running with her loosing blood.)

I wonder if a rewatch for myself where I would focus more on the flaws or would I enjoy the action more (kind of like rewatching Bloodsport over and over :D.) I have already seen the Ken Lo fight twice. I liked it though I do wonder about Lo's haircut.

I have mixed feelings on Special ID and here is some random unorganized blather. I feel that the plot here is worse than Flashpoint, but the fighting scenes are quite good. Donnie Yen keeps improving his choreography with an eclectic style that does not seem to repeat itself much (with some exceptions like a leg triangle that results in a reversal by picking up and either ramming the participant into something or power bomb ala Flashpoint.) I am seriously impressed with Donnie Yen for his continual work in martial arts, but his improvement as an actor. Some on here were criticizing his "overacting" but it fits the role. I was hoping for more of a Donnie Brasco influence from the aspect of being undercover for too long, but the plot was too disjointed for its own good.

I am not impressed with the script or some of the characters motivations. For example cop Jian Tian, she is either a reckless cop or just stupid (though her fight scene in the car was impressive, her earlier one not as much because her frame is Ally McBeal like where I just feel she would not do any damage; how she got to the car was rather unbelievable.) She has the annoying aspect of "straight cop" where she has to ignore the advice of the sage "street wise", but, of course, puts herself in danger as well as his fellow cops. In one scene she literally jumps into an unseen area putting herself in complete harms way (a no-no for any half-decent cop, because it is an easy set-up for an ambush), but is thankfully saved by Donnie Yen's character who is then taken hostage. She dispatches the bad guy luckily, but then is sad for killing him (yet not sad for getting several officers shot, herself almost shot and Donnie Yen's character almost shot.)

The transition from Hong Kong to China was done fine, but the transition to other locales seemed arbitrary. I lost track of where they were at several points. How did he get back to his Mom so quickly? The whole plot structure was flawed as well (was there a finished script, it does not feel like one) with Collin Chou being badly misused. I do wonder how many of these issues were because of the Mainland's influence/guidelines. I mean the Mainland cops seemed like bumpkins. At first I thought it might be a clever dig from the director, but I wonder if it was just the incompetence of the screenplay and/or director.

But the action was good, damn good in several instances. I liked the repeated ground punches that Yen used in a fight scene involving multiple fighters against him. Vicious yes, but effective. I agree with he sometimes gets off a little easier than he should for dramatic urgency, but I was still impressed with the variations in the choreography.

Now if they had only built up a decent film around him.

Kung Fu Bob: you had made some nice points about this film throughout the thread. I love grappling and ground transition moves so I think as you state a knowledge of those does help with the film. Ultimately I judge the film lower then you do because of some of the points I made above.

Unless I do a review of the film I'm not sure I'll watch the film in its entirety, but I will watch the action scenes again.

Great mini-review. Some points made concerning the loops in the story I didn't even think of which makes the flaws of the script more apparent now. Still, I won't despise it as an action film because it truly delivers in that department. I recently watched the final fight over and over and keep appreciating it more discovering new details after repeated viewing.

masterofoneinchpunch
Great mini-review. Some points made concerning the loops in the story I didn't even think of which makes the flaws of the script more apparent now. Still, I won't despise it as an action film because it truly delivers in that department. I recently watched the final fight over and over and keep appreciating it more discovering new details after repeated viewing.

I was happy with that final fight. It was cool to see an arm triangle in there. But yeah that's the beauty of a well choreographed fight -- going back to see the effectiveness of kicks, hits, transitions (much more important that people realize, in an analogous example one of aspects that Arnold Schwarzenegger helped push in weightlifting competition was the importance of moving from one technique to another which helped him dominate that field), chokes, submissions. Also all of that being perilously near the precipice where they could fall off to their doom. Yen has done some of the best choreography in the past several years, fully incorporating techniques which I find fascinating. Seriously though how fun would it be to break down a fight like that for a film class (okay a very specialized film course with knowledgeable MA members)?

Now only if he put in a flying gogoplata. :) While I cannot remember right now, has he done a flying triangle or flying armbar?

massa_yoda
Did you mentally compare this to Flashpoint when watching it? I did at a couple of points: the last fight, the action being stronger than the plot throughout.

Yeah, I couldn't help it. Seemed natural to think about it when watching. Flashpoint was a little leaner and meaner. It also had better music. Both are lacking in terms of plot. I think the action from Special ID stuck with me more.

Though I may need to re-watch Flashpoint now...

While I cannot remember right now, has he done a flying triangle or flying armbar?

He did a flying armbar on Sammo in SPL just before the end fight scene concludes, another one on Louis Koo in the beginning of Flash Point, and a flying triangle on Collin Chou toward the end of the final fight.

The Dragon
Yeah, I couldn't help it. Seemed natural to think about it when watching. Flashpoint was a little leaner and meaner. It also had better music. Both are lacking in terms of plot. I think the action from Special ID stuck with me more.

Though I may need to re-watch Flashpoint now...

The music in Flashpoint still plays in my head at times... It went so well with the hyperkinetic action!

masterofoneinchpunch
He did a flying armbar on Sammo in SPL just before the end fight scene concludes, another one on Louis Koo in the beginning of Flash Point, and a flying triangle on Collin Chou toward the end of the final fight.

Thanks. I thought there was one [flying triangle] with Collin Chou, completely forgot about the Louis Koo flying armbar and Sammo one (reminds me I should rewatch both.) You don't see these too much in choreography (or much in MMA either -- which makes sense because if you screw up it puts you in a bad position as well as makes you look silly especially if you are no longer controlling the arm and on the ground with the opponent above you.)

Back to Special ID: I forgot to complain about the music. It really sounded generic.

I think bits of the music score was well done whenever there weren't any rock instruments going on. I still wish they could've hired Chan Kwong-Wing for this film though, he would've made the fight scenes more adrenaline-pumping with his Hanz Zimmer-like music.

ShaOW!linDude

It's at Walmart. Debated getting it today, but decided to hold off. Everyone's comments aren't making me feel very enthusiastic to see it.