Special ID (2013)

DiP

@ Kung Fu Bob- Special ID will be released by Well Go USA in March in limited theaters/VOD I believe, and in May on DVD/BD. The HK dvd is good though, just no artwork underneath the slip cover.

@Gorhama- If you still are in Kalamazoo, did you hear they opened an Alamo Drafthouse cinema there in Nov? I live in GR, it would be great to get them to host a screening of The Raid 2 there!

@ Kung Fu Bob- Special ID will be released by Well Go USA in March in limited theaters/VOD I believe, and in May on DVD/BD. The HK dvd is good though, just no artwork underneath the slip cover.

@Gorhama- If you still are in Kalamazoo, did you hear they opened an Alamo Drafthouse cinema there in Nov? I live in GR, it would be great to get them to host a screening of The Raid 2 there!

Why yes I do still live in K-Zoo and I have been the Alamo Drafthouse twice already. I can only hope they host a screening there it would be awesome!!! You live in GR?? That's crazy the next time the Drafthouse screens something unique we should meet up for a movie!!! Stay warm buddy it's cold out there!! :angel:

One Armed Boxer
Haven't seen ONCE UPON A TIME IN SHANGHAI yet (did you?), and haven't succeeded yet at getting more than 15 minutes into NAKED SOLDIER. Don't know... I was initially very excited to see it, but it just felt so thin and terrible (two words that also describe the actress playing the first assassin's fighting abilities) that I fell asleep at the same spot twice. Worth finishing in your opinion?

Not yet! Unfortunately with kung-fu movies like 'Wrath of Vajra' & 'Coweb' now securing US DVD releases to substitute for them not getting a DVD release at all in their native HK, I doubt I'll have a chance to see this one for a while if it goes the same way. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

About 'Naked Soldier', I wouldn't bother. I posted a review in post #61 at the top of this page, but the ending is a complete damp squib - http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13788&page=7

TheGrimReaper
Not yet! Unfortunately with kung-fu movies like 'Wrath of Vajra' & 'Coweb' now securing US DVD releases to substitute for them not getting a DVD release at all in their native HK, I doubt I'll have a chance to see this one for a while if it goes the same way. Here's hoping I'm wrong though.

About 'Naked Soldier', I wouldn't bother. I posted a review in post #61 at the top of this page, but the ending is a complete damp squib - http://kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13788&page=7

Here is my vision over Naked Soldier - I hope it helps a bit :)

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19186

• Administrator

Thanks!

Why yes I do still live in K-Zoo and I have been the Alamo Drafthouse twice already. I can only hope they host a screening there it would be awesome!!! You live in GR?? That's crazy the next time the Drafthouse screens something unique we should meet up for a movie!!! Stay warm buddy it's cold out there!! :angel:

What did you see when you went there G-san?

I'm really envious. Wish there was an Alamo Drafthouse in my neck of the woods. When I went to there theater in Austin I had a fantastic time. Even got to hang out with Tim League (who is a wild driver!) which was fun and interesting.

I had no idea that was happening. :ooh: What the hall? Do you know why? Is is because the market is flooded with bootlegs?

About 'Naked Soldier', I wouldn't bother. I posted a review in post #61 at the top of this page, but the ending is a complete damp squib -

Here is my vision over Naked Soldier - I hope it helps a bit :)

Thanks guys. Uh huh, that's the feeling I was getting. I usually sit through just about any action film from Hong Kong, but like I said...

What did you see when you went there G-san?

I'm really envious. Wish there was an Alamo Drafthouse in my neck of the woods. When I went to there theater in Austin I had a fantastic time. Even got to hang out with Tim League (who is a wild driver!) which was fun and interesting.

I saw Thor 2 and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation!! Christmas Vacation was a special quote along night so it was a great time.

They are a fantastic theater that is a very unique movie going experience. :tongue:

I thought it was an ok action movie.

Like many others here with all the hype on this movie I expected more. I have to agree with what many have said here on Donnie's acting which I thought was way over the top. I just couldn't help but giggle to myself when I saw him on screen because I couldn't take his acting seriously!

As for the fights they were decent with some good moments.

Donnie Yen vs Ken Lo was the weakest fight in the movie for me. Really didn't like all that stuff with Donnie acting cocky laying on the floor and hiding behind tables. Then Ken does a flying elbow straight out of a wrestling match!

The restaurant fight was good. But it once again shows Donnie dominating as he always does. You have all these triad guys attacking him with knives and nobody touches him! Would it hurt if he got hit here and there to make the fight more interesting? Maybe it's just me but the sight of seeing Donnie punching a guy multiple times on the floor looked like he was just wasting his energy and doing it just for the sake of doing it. And everyone watching looked weird to me.

The endfight was the highlight of the movie. Andy On showed some impressive kicks and what looked like a superman punch! I just wished he was allowed to show abit more. Donnie using grappling to gain the advantage in the fight I thought was fine. I just thought he took control too quickly without no part inbetween involving a struggle. Andy On takes down Donnie and just like that Donnie gets on top of him and dominates. It happens again only Andy On has a weapon, knocks him down and Donnie clinches Andy and again is back in control. Even though Andy On had a weapon and Donnie was badly hurt he gained the advantage just like that. It should have been more difficult but it wasn't. That's what I dislike about Donnie's MMA fights. There's not enough sense of danger in the fight with Donnie having to struggle and potentially lose the fight. He may get hit but because he doesn't sell it long enough and recovers quickly to take control of the fight it's not realistic enough. With both fighters looking so beaten up they should have shown more key moments in the fight when both get hit close up so you see the damage such as a bleeding nose or a facial cut when it occurs. I see Andy On talking to Donnie with both faces beaten up and I wonder when did all this happen!

This is just my opinion of the action. If others here did find the fights more realistic and enjoyed them that's great.

I think the finale with Donnie jumping for joy speaks for itself!

One Armed Boxer
I had no idea that was happening. What the hall? Do you know why? Is is because the market is flooded with bootlegs?

I think it's just a case of pure straight-up kung-fu movies aren't sellers in HK anymore. I heard 'Once Upon a Time in Shanghai' tanked in HK itself (not sure how well it did on the mainland), while 'Coweb' & 'Wrath of Vajra' both barely registered. The result for the later two was no HK DVD release, the only official releases out there are the Region 1 versions.

The restaurant fight was good. But it once again shows Donnie dominating as he always does. You have all these triad guys attacking him with knives and nobody touches him!

This was my exact problem with this fight, a whole heap of guys, and not one of them lands a single punch....nothing. It's difficult to feel a sense of danger when the good guy seems invincible.

A forum member posted before somewhere on here that they think Donnie Yen is an outstanding fight choreographer technically, but he doesn't know how to get an emotional connection in a fight because he's always so dominating.

I agree with this to a degree, while it's not always the case ('SPL / Kill Zone' springs to mind), for me it rarely feels like he's in any danger....the final fight in 'Ip Man' is another example, and the second half of the fight against Colin Chou at the end of 'Flashpoint'...it's just all a one-way street in Yen's favor. The complaint I have for 'Flashpoint' also applies to 'Special ID', On just doesn't get a look in, and the fight ends with him whimpering for Yen not to hit him anymore. Personally I wish his fights would be a little more balanced, like they were when Yuen Woo Ping was choreographing him in the likes of 'Tiger Cage 2' and 'In the Line of Duty 4', he got it given to him as much as he gave it out in those movies, and they were more exciting for it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Saw the movie up until the Ken Lo fight scene. The choreography is actually on par with something like The Raid imo. The cinematography is nice, and haven't invested time into the story yet like I said I've only seen the movie up until the Ken Lo fight but it's okay so far.

One Armed Boxer: I totally agree with you! I much prefer Donnie's action choreographed by Yuen Woo Ping. As you said the action is more balanced and I enjoy movie fights more like that.

A forum member posted before somewhere on here that they think Donnie Yen is an outstanding fight choreographer technically, but he doesn't know how to get an emotional connection in a fight because he's always so dominating.

Final fights in SPL, final fight in Flash Point (Yen barely dominated in the first half of the fight), Yen vs Cung Le in B&A, Yen vs On in both The Lost Bladesman and Special ID, and Yen vs Kara Hui/Wang Yu in Wu Xia are examples that prove you wrong.

OpiumKungFuCracker

. Then Ken does a flying elbow straight out of a wrestling match!

What about the choreography in The Raid? Did you get the impression that the 2nd half of the movie is nothing but wrestling moves?

OpiumKungFuCracker: My mistake it was a flying knee not an elbow!

No I didn't get that feeling in The Raid. That movie had fight scenes with a nice balance of fists, kicks, grappling and use of weapons.

OpiumKungFuCracker
So you mean you watched the first 5 minutes?:tongue:

Hahahah, yeah unfortunately. I'm being held back by all these shaw bros. movies I'm watching at the same time starting with Savage 5 I'm 30 mins away from finishing that one.

• Administrator
I saw Thor 2 and National Lampoons Christmas Vacation!! Christmas Vacation was a special quote along night so it was a great time.

They are a fantastic theater that is a very unique movie going experience. :tongue:

Wish we were seeing films there together. :nerd:

Then Ken does a flying elbow straight out of a wrestling match!

I wouldn't have minded this move if it hadn't been executed so poorly with a terrible wire-assist.

The restaurant fight was good. But it once again shows Donnie dominating as he always does. You have all these triad guys attacking him with knives and nobody touches him! Would it hurt if he got hit here and there to make the fight more interesting? Maybe it's just me but the sight of seeing Donnie punching a guy multiple times on the floor looked like he was just wasting his energy and doing it just for the sake of doing it. And everyone watching looked weird to me.

It definitely would've added to the tension and danger if we'd have seen him getting at least nicked by some of those knives.

I thought that it made sense beating the guys on the floor when he had the chance. Two reasons...

1. Finish off an opponent when you have a chance, especially when a group is attacking. It's not a waste of energy if you don't have to worry about them getting back up to attack you again.

2. This works as an intimidation tactic against your other aggressors, as they see you dominating and brutally striking one of their own.

There's not enough sense of danger in the fight with Donnie having to struggle and potentially lose the fight. He may get hit but because he doesn't sell it long enough and recovers quickly to take control of the fight it's not realistic enough. With both fighters looking so beaten up they should have shown more key moments in the fight when both get hit close up so you see the damage such as a bleeding nose or a facial cut when it occurs. I see Andy On talking to Donnie with both faces beaten up and I wonder when did all this happen!

Hmmm... I thought that Donnie did look like he was in danger and was on the defensive. He seemed to be fighting hard to survive, not to show he was a tough guy.

I hear what you're saying about showing more clearly when they took on the facial damage. But in a real fight you often don't see the specific moment when cuts appear. One second there's no blood, then suddenly there is. However, while on this topic I forgot to mention this in my review of the film- the makeup FX are outstanding here! The cuts and swollen eyes are superb in their realism. I've often rolled my eyes at the poor makeup FX in HK films through the years, and at the lack of damage that characters get from their brutal fights. So this sort of realistic touch earns a cheer from me.

KUNG FU BOB: I had no problem with him hitting the guy on the floor. But one shot to the face would have been enough instead of throwing multiple punches. While I agree it would intimidate the other henchmen I don't think it would stop them trying to attack. They outnumber Yen, they have weapons and they are triads! You see it all the time in other movies. A gang of triads surround one man. It's either a beat down or the man does a runner! Of course Donnie is a fighter so he can beat them but he's got to take some punishment for us to care about the scene.

Donnie did look in danger vs Andy On but it seemed like only for a quick moment. Donnie gets a knee to the chin and then bodyslammed on what looks like a guard rail. Andy On gets on top of him and after a brief bit of grappling Donnie is on top in control. Donnie should have at least acted like he was hurt, sold the pain of the punishment he took for a while longer but he didn't. When Donnie grapples Andy with his legs in what seems like forever look at his face. He looks very much in control while Andy looks in alot of pain. Donnie only really showed pain when Andy done that aerial kick on him. But just as quickly as he was down he gets up and clinches Andy and is back in control. Maybe it's just me seeing the fight like this. But selling a hit and showing the pain on your face is important to me for making the fight realistic. All the cuts and scars were noticeable but I didn't feel enough pain from Donnie in the fight for me to care. I enjoyed the fight and it was fun to watch but that's it.

It's true you don't see the moment when cuts appear in a real fight. But in a movie it works very well and adds alot to a fight. Look at Prodigal Son when Frankie kicks Biao and they show that close up scar on his face. Dragons Forever when Benny punches Jackie in the face and a close up shows his nose bleed. Just a little scene like that adds alot and shows a level of realism and danger in a fight. You really feel the hit when it happens.

OpiumKungFuCracker

The problem with this movie, really is the script. When the script sucks, it makes it harder for Chinese actors to adlib and do improvisation.That's not what Donnie Yen and company are known for. The action is not the problem in this movie, not even close. Jing Tian, which I adore and love was flat out awful in this. Not because of her acting, again it's the stupid scripts fault.

There's one scene in the movie when Donnie Yen and a group of Triads are outside on the streets with rain pouring down after their big fight scene and there comes Jing Tian out of nowhere pulling MMA moves to showcase her skills. That scene is cool in all but "HOLY SHIT!" was that scene so out of place and flat out bad. Don't even get me started on the flirtatious paint ball gun scene between them, lol.

The Dialogue was atrocious in this movie by the way, and the playful relationship between Yen and Jing Tian does not work at all, no chemistry and almost like a really bad romantic comedy starring Jennifer Aniston vehicle.

With all that being said, this movie is nowhere close to being as awful as most of the production quality that came from Thailand. The script might sucked ass in this movie but boy is this film beautifully shot with some very vibrant colors and scenery. I enjoyed the fight scene too. Oh and the stand out star obviously is Andy On, this guy and Marrese Crump need to go to Hollywood to do a buddy cop movie called, "Traffic Jam."

Overall this movie was quite entertaining, nothing more!

I wished they would have made with a more gritty and serious tone to it.

Felt like a comedy to me at times... then again maybe that's just me :yociexp105:

Look out for Dragon City if you want a gritty and serious Donnie Yen flick. It's going to be set in the 1970s and center around a cop and his unit battling gangsters and bent cops inside the now demolished Kowloon Walled City. Shooting starts very soon.

One Armed Boxer
That's precisely the vibe I got whilst watching SPECIAL ID - it feels and looks cheap.

boy is this film beautifully shot with some very vibrant colors and scenery.

This is what I love about movie disussions, one movie, two completely polar opinions!:tongue:

The script might sucked ass in this movie but boy is this film beautifully shot with some very vibrant colors and scenery.

Well I think neither is the scrip that bad (it's not worse than FLASH POINT, for example) nor is the cinematography that great. In fact I was disappointed given that Peter Pau was the DOP. The look of the movie is quite banal.