Special ID (2013)

DiP

I started watching and 5 min later there's an advert but a little more disturbingly the girl looks barely a teenager and is jumping up and down in nothing but bra and panties. WTF!

Needless to say, I'm very embarrassed about all this.

I've been sent many links to that site and so far had no problems at all BUT I will make sure not to post any links to films on there anymore.

Sorry, guys. :squigglemouth:

Needless to say, I'm very embarrassed about all this.

I've been sent many links to that site and so far had no problems at all BUT I will make sure not to post any links to films on there anymore.

Sorry, guys. :squigglemouth:

I have to say I haven't had any malware warnings from this link, just done one scan and it's all clean. of course I will be doing other different malware scans tomorrow but for now I'm not too concerned.

Followed the link and watched the movie.

I don't think there are any spoilers bellow.

I'm not a Donnie's fan and not crazy about any of his post-Yuen Woo Ping movies, so I wasn't expecting much from Special ID, despite all the hype. The hype was unbelievable, though, - 36 pages of discussion just on this forum! Not many movies spark so much interest!

Now, after I watched it, I can say it was bad. Not total crap, but very bad. Horrible script, awful editing and bad directing.

I wouldn't call it a comedy, but definitely much lighter in tone than any Yen's movie of the last decade or more.

Here's some of my thoughts:

The first "fight" with Ken Lo. I don't even know WTF that was. I mean, it wasn't even a fight, not a brawl either. Total mess of a scene.

Ngai Sing was great in his scenes, especially at the beginning of the movie. I can't tell you how bad I feel about this guy being wasted in every movie he's in( I would say, since City of Darkness, at least)! So, I guess, one more time of being wasted doesn't really matter :(

Nanhai looked quite modern and beautiful

The whole sequence in the restaurant and outside of it was good - arguably, the highlight of the movie. Some decent stunts, good moves. Real HK-style stunt of a guy falling from a second floor onto a car. One shot, no cuts. Great stuff!

Lots of wire-assisted stunts during a raid to capture the sniper - throwback to the late 90s-early 2000s wire-fu galore.

More incoherent editing, lazy writing and mindless dialogues.

The car chase. Overall, very disappointing. A couple of good bits, but nothing extraordinary. I expected a lot more from Bruce Law. The best part, imo, that SUV flying off the ramp, was shown in the trailer

The Grand Finale - Yen vs. On fight. Somewhat bland, absolutely non-exciting, MUCH weaker than the one from Flash Point. Some good hand work and a couple of kicks, but overall, very underwhelming. Some moves from Flash Point, too

Absolutely embarrassing scene after that, supposedly, a comedic relief. Made the whole movie look even worse

Even I was disappointed, so I can't imagine how the fans will be. (Although, the real fans will forgive Donnie anything)

I will say this is a Yen film I enjoyed more than his others and one of his best in that regard. It reminds me of the 90s JC movies where you ffwd to the action scenes because of the convoluted dialogue in between. Having said that, the story is pretty good and there is enough character for who Yen is playing. It will require multiple viewings as the dialogue is quick so you're either trying to catch the subtitles or their expressions, but you cannot do both.

Everything in the trailer and online clips is all the action in the movie. All those pics of him with a bat facing the men in black that just tried to kill him in the restaurant... and he doesn't even fight them. And the Andy On fight is all that we see on youtube. The remainder is them grappling on the floor.

According to Mtime's profile page of the movie, the running time is 2 hours and the review shows the movie's running time being 1 hour and 40 min. Seems like Malaysia will be showing a heavily censored version.

This cut version appears to be the version released in theaters. If the DC doesn't have anymore action, it can stay on the cutting room floor. The scene where Chou is throwing money is missing. But more fights - outside the restaurant, extended vs. Mahjong gang and more fisticuffs with Andy On would make up for any issues I have with it.

Actress complimented Yen quite well. Reminds me of the scenes from JC's Georgeous. Like I said, it's like this film was made over 10 years ago. But their chemistry was pretty good.

It's not a serious MA / police flick we've been used to while Yen has been doing period pieces - eg: Berlin File, The Raid, New World, City of Violence where the fights are gritty and serious.

As posted throughout this thread, Yen wore many hats, and I believe the negative reviews are because of that. He should have worn the Director's as well because while Yen was working on the dialogue, action set pieces, makeup etc. as seen on the behind the scenes, the Director apparently was just there only to yell "Action!". The car chase is near flawless, imo.

The last 10 years he should have been making the modern films - SPL 2, etc. - and save the period pieces (Ip Man, Chen Zhen, Bladesman, Bodyguards, etc.) for the older Yen. It's good but not Jet Li-Kiss-of-the-Dragon-tribute-for-the-fans-kick-ass-awesome, which is what I was expecting but not what they were trying to do with Special ID.

7/10

I will say this is a Yen film I enjoyed more than his others and one of his best in that regard. It reminds me of the 90s JC movies where you ffwd to the action scenes because of the convoluted dialogue in between. Having said that, the story is pretty good and there is enough character for who Yen is playing. It will require multiple viewings as the dialogue is quick so you're either trying to catch the subtitles or their expressions, but you cannot do both.

Everything in the trailer and online clips is all the action in the movie. All those pics of him with a bat facing the men in black that just tried to kill him in the restaurant... and he doesn't even fight them. And the Andy On fight is all that we see on youtube. The remainder is them grappling on the floor.

This cut version appears to be the version released in theaters. If the DC doesn't have anymore action, it can stay on the cutting room floor. The scene where Chou is throwing money is missing. But more fights - outside the restaurant, extended vs. Mahjong gang and more fisticuffs with Andy On would make up for any issues I have with it.

Actress complimented Yen quite well. Reminds me of the scenes from JC's Georgeous. Like I said, it's like this film was made over 10 years ago. But their chemistry was pretty good.

It's not a serious MA / police flick we've been used to while Yen has been doing period pieces - eg: Berlin File, The Raid, New World, City of Violence where the fights are gritty and serious.

As posted throughout this thread, Yen wore many hats, and I believe the negative reviews are because of that. He should have worn the Director's as well because while Yen was working on the dialogue, action set pieces, makeup etc. as seen on the behind the scenes, the Director apparently was just there only to yell "Action!". The car chase is near flawless, imo.

The last 10 years he should have been making the modern films - SPL 2, etc. - and save the period pieces (Ip Man, Chen Zhen, Bladesman, Bodyguards, etc.) for the older Yen. It's good but not Jet Li-Kiss-of-the-Dragon-tribute-for-the-fans-kick-ass-awesome, which is what I was expecting but not what they were trying to do with Special ID.

7/10

Watching it in the cinema, it did give off a kind of Jackie Chan vibe.

just got finished watching the movie and let me tell u i am NOT impressed at all. there is not even one action clip that made me say "damn" the fights imo were boring and the way the last fight ended (yawn). fights were few and far between. i guess i suffer from what most of you suffered from, and thats going into the movie with huge expectations. i was very much let down. If you want to watch a movie for the fights.. go watch "the wrath of vajra" which i loved

TibetanWhiteCrane

Any doctors around, so we can call a time of death?

Geezus H. Balls... sounds like it's not even worth watching, let alone buying on dvd.

That'll teach me to keep my expectations in check. I never learn....

Worth noting that the streaming version might be cut compared to the one I saw. Seems that the audio is all Mandarin too, whereas the version I saw was in Cantonese, Mandarin and a little English.

Geezus H. Balls... sounds like it's not even worth watching, let alone buying on dvd.

Just what I was thinking. I'm SO bummed about this.

I'm not one for melodramatics, but does anyone else get the feeling that it's all going to be downhill from here? Donnie's only getting older, and if his idea of exciting is rolling around on the ground...I dunno.

I heard all three languages. Even a part of the movie the female actress yells at Yen for speaking Cantonese and not mandarin

Fair enough, but it did seem to me that there was more Mandarin. It may be that they only left that Cantonese in because it's a plot point. I heard more Cantonese spoken in the version I saw.

One Armed Boxer
Lots of wire-assisted stunts during a raid to capture the sniper - throwback to the late 90s-early 2000s wire-fu galore.

I really don't know what the deal was with the sniper, I presume the character is another victim of Yen's script changes. He literally appears on screen brooding and mumbling away to himself about how he needs to take vengeance for a character who got killed earlier on, then next he's abseiling down a building in a scene which both 'Time & Tide' & 'The Thieves' did countless times better, before exiting the movie less than five minutes later. It was bizarre.

The Grand Finale - Yen vs. On fight. Somewhat bland, absolutely non-exciting, MUCH weaker than the one from Flash Point. Some good hand work and a couple of kicks, but overall, very underwhelming. Some moves from Flash Point, too

Absolutely embarrassing scene after that, supposedly, a comedic relief. Made the whole movie look even worse

I have to admit even I cringed through the final five minutes. Absolutely awful, then just when you thing it can't get any worse, you get the horrendous "Donnie Yen's lessons learnt voice-over", paired with him acting like an excited child onscreen in slow motion. The final shot actually had the audience snickering, which arguably wasn't its intention.

I think it's going to be interesting to monitor this thread after the DVD release. After all of us who've been lucky (well, that's hardly the right word, but you know what I mean) enough to check it out on the cinema, and had our expectations suitably demolished, it'll be interesting to see once the second wave of members check it out on DVD with what will obviously be considerably lower expectations. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot of "It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be." Unfortunately, I'm never going to be one of those people.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Skimmed through the action. Too much boring grappling. Big Tony Leung snapping everyone's arms in Throwdown was more exciting than this.

This is call cheating bro. You didn't even see the movie but skimmed through it. Your opinion is invalid and unfinished.

Watched the whole movie yesterday (have already seen the action scenes which were great as always imo) with an open mind and with as much low expectations as possible amongst all heavy criticism the movie's been getting throughout this past week. Sorry naysayers but I really enjoyed the movie altogether, even more so than Flash Point. A thorough review coming up very shortly, stay tuned.

odioustrident
This is call cheating bro. You didn't even see the movie but skimmed through it. Your opinion is invalid and unfinished.

I feel like skipping forward to fight scenes is standard and acceptable. He only stated his opinion about the choreography. It's indicative of a focus that was lost on this forum some time ago.

I also think that Donnie's age does show in this film more than in others....but the choice not to subtly undercrank certain shots might be the reason he looks slower too.

Looks like the movie has turned into a big success, taking in 100 million yuan at the local box-office as of today (October 25). Now we have a franchise guaranteed indeed.

Also, here's the original ending of the movie.

RFHMQkV4-1M

Sources:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.mtime.com%2F2013%2F10%2F25%2F1519760.html (Rough translation)

http://news.mtime.com/2013/10/25/1519760.html (Original)