Special ID (2013)

DiP

Sorry DiP, was waiting for you to post this up. But it never came!

Twitch posted this on Sunday. Don't watch if you don't want spoilers. What does everyone think??

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/09/watch-donnie-yen-kick-some-serious-ass-in-special-id-clip.html

Actually the second video is an exclusive Bruce Law interview on the car chase scenes he created and directed. He also did The Raid 2's vehicle chases for Gareth. So this was a great share.

Thanks for posting Ramji.

I looked through this thread and forgot about that car chase featurette. Good pointing that out, Venomsfan.

Here it is in HD though.

ya_9DIzwm8M

Donnie Yen and Andy On have injuries from fighting each other

Being the action director of SPECIAL ID, Donnie Yen has added street brawl and special forces fighting techniques to break new ground with his brand style of fight choreography. He demanded no repetition with each action scene and will have one-on-one fight scenes with many actors designing different fighting styles based on each character. In the film he's a dark hero and later becomes Andy On's nemesis due to their different goals. So their realistic fight scene becomes the bright spot, as they use metal rods and bars. Yen's action is so fast that even cinematographer Peter Pau says the cameras had difficulty grasping his movements.

Both Yen and On were injured from their fight. This film also invited Hollywood make-up artists to create injury images for the characters. When the make-up artists fixed their "scar make-up", even they couldn't differentiate between fake wounds from the real ones. Yen also adds that he sees Andy On's potential as a future successor in Hong Kong action movies as he is agile, tall and attractive. With the realistic fight scenes during the shoot, injuries often occur. Yen admits that with the injuries that he has, even sitting hurts and has to withstand the pain with nothing but willpower.

Source: http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2013/09/20131001-donnie-yen-and-andy-tien-have.html

That last post has me very intrigued by the possibilities of this movie!! I've dug Andy On for a while now and it must be great to have Donnie Yen naming you as a potential future action star!!!

As for Yen......he seems to be putting out some of the best most intense fight scenes in his career. Plus he's working like a mad man. How many movies in just the past few years has he cranked out?

2013-2014 will be a great year for martial arts movies for sure.

I say 2013 as a few awesome flicks will still be released!! :smile:

http://hktopten.blogspot.hk/2013/10/20131004-donnie-yen-gets-no-sleep-from.html

movie's still gonna be dope, but I'm no longer expecting a Yen vs. Chou fight in this film. this article states that Yen vs On is the final fight, which was what originally was mentioned. there have been zero footage/pictures indicating a Yen vs Chou rematch, only some articles which claim there is one, but others stating that Yen vs On is the last action scene. I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews, but at this point a Yen vs Chou rematch will be more of a bonus than an expectation from the film. I hope I'm wrong by the way

Hang in there Mark. Among the several articles, at least one Chinese site quoted Yen.

Ref: twitch comment albeit hearsay until we can find the actual article

Chinese news sites have confirmed that Donnie will have fight scenes with Andy On, Zhang Hanyu, Ken Lo and Collin Chou (all of them having their own fighting styles, according to Yen) among other action scenes so you don't need to worry. I bet they will save the Yen vs Chou battle for the actual release.

Collin-Chou.jpg

I looked through this thread and forgot about that car chase featurette. Good pointing that out, Venomsfan.

Here it is in HD though.

ya_9DIzwm8M

Sure thing. To be honest, this thread is very comprehensive and organized. A really good read. Great work, DiP!.

Has someone commented on VenomsFan avatar? Can we all agree, great timing!!!!

Lol. I have the Yayan Ruhian stil ready for the Raid 2 next year. I like the Michaelangelo pic, although creepy over the half naked Van Damme!

http://hktopten.blogspot.hk/2013/10/20131004-donnie-yen-gets-no-sleep-from.html

movie's still gonna be dope, but I'm no longer expecting a Yen vs. Chou fight in this film. this article states that Yen vs On is the final fight, which was what originally was mentioned. there have been zero footage/pictures indicating a Yen vs Chou rematch, only some articles which claim there is one, but others stating that Yen vs On is the last action scene. I guess we'll have to wait for the reviews, but at this point a Yen vs Chou rematch will be more of a bonus than an expectation from the film. I hope I'm wrong by the way

There was one occasion where an article/source (I think it was Impact Magazine) I posted a good while ago claimed that Yen vs Chou was the final fight until there was clarification on the final fight actually being Yen vs On. Other than that, it was always reported that Yen vs On was going to be the last fight whereas the Yen vs Chou fight was still being acknowledged.

When it comes to Yen's movies, I think it's always the case where he highlights a main fight scene for trailers or interviews/promotion and leaves out the rest to surprise people. I believe he's doing that for this movie as well, promoting his fights with Andy On and Ken Lo respectively and leaving out Chou, Zhang Hanyu and other action set-pieces just letting the movie speak for itself when it's out.

Ok here's what I found.

U10247P28DT20130910110016.jpg

So he is the one in yellow.

Special ID - Trailer 1 (Cantonese) at 10 seconds he's tossing someone into a urinal. It's not Yen, but we know he's giving it to someone.

Ver.3 SPECIAL ID Trailer Donnie Yen at 1:13 he's taking on Zhigang,

That's all I got. Anymore sleuthing, and I'm bound to just spoil the movie. As DiP says, it's pretty clever, but I don't think we'll be dissapointed.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Seems like a fake review or just trolling? Now I don't mind if it's a negative review and I'm not gonna jump on every single one that is but don't you think it's a little fishy???

Promotion is currently going on in Malaysia so maybe it was previewed over there. Regardless of ratings (the review above ain't all that bad to me), I'm looking forward to this.

Judging by the plot summary (Now, he must risk everything to take down both Xiong and Sunny before it is too late.), it does seem like Yen is going to have a fight scene with Chou.

The more action scenes, the better :biggrin:

According to Mtime's profile page of the movie, the running time is 2 hours and the review shows the movie's running time being 1 hour and 40 min. Seems like Malaysia will be showing a heavily censored version.

Sources:

http://translate.google.se/translate?hl=sv&sl=zh-CN&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmovie.mtime.com%2F160980%2F&sandbox=1 (Rough English translation)

http://movie.mtime.com/160980/ (Original)

ultimately, it doesn't matter if there is a Yen vs Chou fight you're right. clearly, the fights on display will be awesome, and the review is legit Opium, like DIP said Donnie's in Malaysia right now promoting, obviously there was an early press screening, but it could have been a censored version

OpiumKungFuCracker

Elaine Ewe, you said the fight scenes are worth the price of admission?? Well, no shit Sherlock, I guess that's your Roger Ebert moment, lol you putz.

Donnie Yen Willing To Be Slapped For Another "Madam"

During shooting of Special ID, Donnie Yen worked as the action director and designed different fighting styles for different actors. Playing a rival, Jing Tian had a scene in which Donnie added where he gets slapped by her. Yen admitted that at first he was afraid that working with Jing Tian on her first action film would be very difficult, because he hoped that she could play a female cop similar to Michelle Yeoh in Yes, Madam!. But in the end, Jing Tian improved greatly. To make her personality stand out, Yen not only let her slap him but also demonstrated various fighting skills for her to study. Jing Tan praised Yen for his seriousness and personally seeing things to every detail. She adds, "If he wasn't strict enough, many exciting scenes wouldn't even be present on this movie."

Source: http://hktopten.blogspot.se/2013/10/20131014-donnie-yen-is-willing-to-be.html

One Armed Boxer
another mixed review, and unfortunate confirmation of no Donnie vs Collin Chou fight. oh well, as the title says this is "Donnie's MMA return" which is reason enough to get hyped!

Am I alone in feeling that the fact there's no Yen vs Chou fight isn't such a big deal? For a start they already did an MMA fused fight against each other as the finale of 'Flash Point' only 6 years ago, and for me while it was a technically awesome showdown, the last half of it was just Yen laying the beatdown onto Chou. For me having them in the same movie together again and not having them fight each other, when there's so much other quality action on the cards, isn't really an issue.