Special ID (2013)

DiP

Hope it's not another Flashpoint. That end fight was a hall of famer, but the rest was utterly forgetable.

What about the other action scenes? The outdoor restaurant fight with Xing Yu? The shoot-out in the meadows?

TibetanWhiteCrane

The action as a whole was great, but honestly, when I think Flashpoint, I think the end fight. Had actually forgotten about those other scenes.

OpiumKungFuCracker
What about the other action scenes? The outdoor restaurant fight with Xing Yu? The shoot-out in the meadows?

Is that the one where he's chasing the guy in the end of the restaurant and the bad guy held a little girl as hostage and threw her to the side like a rag doll? I actually liked that scene too.

On a side note, that giant tweaking turtle is starting to give me nightmares, dude:squigglemouth:

Me too...

And it doesn't help matters that I read your words in the voice of a crazy freaked-out turtle now! :tongue:

Is that the one where he's chasing the guy in the end of the restaurant and the bad guy held a little girl as hostage and threw her to the side like a rag doll? I actually liked that scene too.

Yeah. And then there's the gang fight at the driving range, the assassination attempt on Ben Lam's character in the parking lot, a car chase throughout the roads of Hong Kong, and the parkour scene that leads to Donnie and Xing Yu fighting each other.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Yeah. And then there's the gang fight at the driving range, the assassination attempt on Ben Lam's character in the parking lot, a car chase throughout the roads of Hong Kong, and the parkour scene that leads to Donnie and Xing Yu fighting each other.

The driving range fight was okay, I don't remember the assassination one, the car chase was cool leading up to that amazing end fight.

TibetanWhiteCrane

All good stuff, when you think about it, but before you mentioning it, I had forgotten just about all those scenes. I think Flashpoint's overall blandness blurs out the great action scenes in my mind. Whereas almost every scene from SPL is etched into my brain, not just the fights.

Special ID is the one to beat. What I've been saying about Donnie Yen, he actually said himself - as far as being more versatile in his films (emotion and fight-style wise). He said when he was working on this film. And the trailer definitely shows this.

There's no way this film can be bad. Even if the trailer is cut EXCEPTIONALLY well, all you need to see the car chase scene which is filmed on par with the Fast Five to know it's gonna be something different and unique.

And the teahouse Yen vs. many. No wires. It's the Yen I've been waiting for many DVD purchases later.

Special ID is the one to beat. What I've been saying about Donnie Yen, he actually said himself - as far as being more versatile in his films (emotion and fight-style wise). He said when he was working on this film. And the trailer definitely shows this.

There's no way this film can be bad. Even if the trailer is cut EXCEPTIONALLY well, all you need to see the car chase scene which is filmed on par with the Fast Five to know it's gonna be something different and unique.

And the teahouse Yen vs. many. No wires. It's the Yen I've been waiting for many DVD purchases later.

Way to jinx it:tongue:

I hope it turns out good as it is the first Donnie yen films I've been anticipating in quite some while.

Yen's way of integrating his action choreography emotionally and deeply with stories and characters is nothing but perfectly condoned. But this is hardly a surprise. Yen's been doing this in all his post-2007 outings of varied action sub genres and - if we go way back to trace the roots - even during his low-budget action film-making days in the late 1990s where depth (despite limited acting range at the time) and pacing played a huge role in Yen's stories and action choreography.

Now he's re-inventing this drama/action approach in a contemporary action movie that - along with his dynamic and fierce fight choreography coupled with Bruce Law's breath-taking and intense car stunts and shoot-outs - will create a spectrum larger than just being an entertaining action movie. Back to the action... Yen and Law make a RARE combination that is incredibly electrifying and will continue to happen from here on, with both having collaborated with each other on Iceman movies last year and just recently wrapping Last of the Best. Expect more uniqueness from what this movie will have.

The only "setback" at this point is Clarence Fok being behind the directing. The man doesn't really hold a great track record despite of his two greatest hits, The Iceman Cometh and Naked Killer, and has ever since maintained a streak of average and forgettable genre movies. Hopefully, this won't be filler like in Flash Point.

I was referring to this article you posted a couple months back

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/entertainment/2013-07/22/c_132563426.htm

Not emotion. But complex character. Looks like that in the upcoming Iceman movies. And it looks like that in his upcoming modernized actioners Special ID and Last of the Best.

Now he's re-inventing this drama/action approach in a contemporary action movie that - along with his dynamic and fierce fight choreography coupled with Bruce Law's breath-taking and intense car stunts and shoot-outs - will create a spectrum larger than just being a entertaining action movie. Back to the action... Yen and Law make a RARE combination that is incredibly electrifying and will continue to happen from here on, with both having collaborated with each other in Iceman movies last year and just recently wrapping Last of the Best. Expect more uniqueness from what this movie will have.

This is exactly what I was thinking about Yen. Well put. :bigsmile:

I just hope the endfight with Donnie Yen vs Andy On is more evenly matched and goes back and forth. If there was one thing I disliked about the endfight in Flashpoint it was that Donnie Yen dominated too much in the second half of the fight. Colin Chou really just got beat up for several minutes with Donnie Yen countering everything so easily and quickly. I always thought that was what stopped the fight from being great to just being a good fight.

Donnie's beginning to get away from that though. In Bodyguards & Assassins he let Cung Le beat him up pretty bad, and in Wu Xia Kara Hui got enough shine to show off her skills and Donnie left all the ass whoopin to Jimmy Wang Yu.

Judging by stills and BTS footage/glimpses in the trailer, it looks like Donnie is giving MORE room for his co-stars to shine and beat Donnie up. And that's a good thing.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I just hope the endfight with Donnie Yen vs Andy On is more evenly matched and goes back and forth. If there was one thing I disliked about the endfight in Flashpoint it was that Donnie Yen dominated too much in the second half of the fight. Colin Chou really just got beat up for several minutes with Donnie Yen countering everything so easily and quickly. I always thought that was what stopped the fight from being great to just being a good fight.

Well, yeah because it's a Donnie Yen movie and not an MMA fight sanctioned in the ring? People pay money to see Donnie Yen kick ass. It sounds like you're nitpicking to me sir.

I'm not nitpicking! And I don't see how comparing it to a real MMA fight has anything to do with it because anything can happen in those fights. They can be back and forth, one sided or end really quickly by tapout or knockout. Yes people pay to see Donnie Yen kick ass but if it's a one sided fight I don't think that is good for a movie fight. Nothing wrong with Donnie Yen and his co stars all being allowed to kick ass is there?

One Armed Boxer

I completely second this statement, and you're definitely not alone, it's a point that other forum members have raised on here previously in various different threads. While I definitely think Yen has become more balanced in his more recent movies in terms of his fights not being so one-sided, there's no doubt that in the final fights of the likes of 'Flashpoint' (once they fall from the first level) and 'Ip Man' (from the moment it starts) there's never a hint of danger that Yen might be facing off to someone who's his match.

OpiumKungFuCracker
I'm not nitpicking! And I don't see how comparing it to a real MMA fight has anything to do with it because anything can happen in those fights. They can be back and forth, one sided or end really quickly by tapout or knockout. Yes people pay to see Donnie Yen kick ass but if it's a one sided fight I don't think that is good for a movie fight. Nothing wrong with Donnie Yen and his co stars all being allowed to kick ass is there?

Then it's the scripts fault isn't it unless stated otherwise that is was improvised? Donnie yen displaying his martial arts prowess is not the problem to me at least. Flashpoint as a film really wasn't that great to begin with because again like I said, it was the script that is at fault. I didn't have a problem at all with any of the fight scenes because it's an action movie but boggled down with a crap script. I guess we have a difference of opinion and I think the end fight was the best part of the movie.