Advice on making an IVL shaw region free?

Sandpalm79

Hey guys so i recently brought my region free dvd player out into my living room onto my huge 55 inch TV. i had been watching my IVL celestial shaws, although rarely as of past few years,in my room on a standard 4:3 TV and i would watch the Region 1 dragon dynasty style remastered celestials in my living room thru my PS3..

..well needless to say. wow have i been spoiled with the PS3 setup on my 55 inch TV. i hooked up the region free 2002 koss player and long story short im only able to use 3color rca connection with that player. (my region free player's component cable output wont wrok for some reason. it doesnt have HDMI and it does have s video but my TV doesnt have that input so RCA cables it is for that player unfortuanately) i watched shaolin mantis and it was blurry. lacking punch and color and although the movie is amazing and iennjoyed it. it just had a grey overtone look to everything.

to compare the two setups i switched over to my PS3 HDMI input setting on my TV popped iin MEdia Blaster's Ten Tigers from Kwantung. and holy crap. my socks were blown off. the quality was breathtaking especially back to back with the ivl. In fact Linn1 ( Rip :-( ) was the first person to explain how drago dnasty and media blasters go straight fro the HD master no conversian with PAL to ntsc and i feel i have a good grasp on that. add RCA cable connection on top and its quite a different expeience! considering there are hundreds of shaws i adore that will never be remastered in region 1 from DD or Mblasters, tokyo shock etc, i need to keep this region free player to watch all my beloved IVL's

my question is. as a simple fix. if i use DVD copying software on my laptop and say i took that region 3 Shaolin Mantis IVL and copied it onto a DVDR. i read online that DVD copying software burns disc as region free. and i also read as long as i didnt sell it that this is my right as a backup etc. ie. not illegal..

so if i did this. wouldnt the quality be MUCH better as i could play it thru my playstation 3 and it would be HDMI?

can anyone reccomend a dvd copying software that is free? i saw dvd shrink and may try this.

also if there is a much better solution that is glaring out at someone for me to improve my quality of my IVL Shaw viewing experience let me know! otherwise any opinion/advice/ input on this method im going to attempt (of burning region free copies in order to play them thru hdmi)be appreciated!!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Firstly, you should get a new component cable for the multi-region player as that is definitely a superior output to the lead you're currently using (composite I think).

Secondly, you probably like the PS3 picture because it is upscaling the dvd picture, you can fine tune the settings in the PS3 settings menu, maybe do a quick google for tips.

Third, for a free way to make region free backups of your dvds, get an old free program called DVD Decrypter (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Decrypter) , not sure if the link works right. Google for a guide to using it, it's really as simple as choosing a folder on your pc to rip the discs contents to.

Then, you can use any program you like to burn the ripped files as a movie, ImgBurn is a good free program, actually it's probably the best (free!). Google ImgBurn and go to the forum for guides on burning discs. Your only problem will be with films over 4. something gigs, as you will need dvd-9 / dual layer blanks which cost a bit more. You can of course leave out the extras and bonus features to make them fit onto a standard blank disc, but that is probably best left for another post.

Good luck.

Firstly, you should get a new component cable for the multi-region player as that is definitely a superior output to the lead you're currently using (composite I think).

Secondly, you probably like the PS3 picture because it is upscaling the dvd picture, you can fine tune the settings in the PS3 settings menu, maybe do a quick google for tips.

Third, for a free way to make region free backups of your dvds, get an old free program called DVD Decrypter (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Decrypter) , not sure if the link works right. Google for a guide to using it, it's really as simple as choosing a folder on your pc to rip the discs contents to.

Then, you can use any program you like to burn the ripped files as a movie, ImgBurn is a good free program, actually it's probably the best (free!). Google ImgBurn and go to the forum for guides on burning discs. Your only problem will be with films over 4. something gigs, as you will need dvd-9 / dual layer blanks which cost a bit more. You can of course leave out the extras and bonus features to make them fit onto a standard blank disc, but that is probably best left for another post.

Good luck.

thanks so much man! first off yes it was composite, not sure why i was calling it rca connection but i just meant yellow white red 3 rca connection. the issue is that my component cables are new and work perfect. its just my region free player the component output has to be brokken as it has never worked for me. just says "no input." then when i plug in a wii with components right after the tv picks it up fine. so considering im not trying to buy a new region free player i will go with making backups and playing thru my ps3. which will be HDMI ( better than component) and have that upscale etc

thanks again man. i hope this dvd decrypter method is easy. the link took me to a forum but i will check on download.com etc. or look more on that site.

since getting the book drom dr reid " the complete guide to martial arts movies of the 70s" ive been on a major kick and watching all my old ones again!

Can you change the settings in the DVD Player for the type of component output, or in your tv? There's two kinds, RGB and YPbPr, my TV only accepts one of the two with certain devices, with the wrong setting it gives me the 'no signal' message. I don't use component much, though, so I'm not much help on that.

For the DVD Decrypter link, look to the right of the screen, there's a download link!

It is very easy to use, but google a FAQ or guide for it. In standard settings it will remove the region code plus other restrictions manufacturers put on the disc. I have had to rip my own, paid for, legal discs like many other people, just to be able to use them in the past, on certain devices.

Can you change the settings in the DVD Player for the type of component output, or in your tv? There's two kinds, RGB and YPbPr, my TV only accepts one of the two with certain devices, with the wrong setting it gives me the 'no signal' message. I don't use component much, though, so I'm not much help on that.

For the DVD Decrypter link, look to the right of the screen, there's a download link!

It is very easy to use, but google a FAQ or guide for it. In standard settings it will remove the region code plus other restrictions manufacturers put on the disc. I have had to rip my own, paid for, legal discs like many other people, just to be able to use them in the past, on certain devices.

Phoenix you're the man! So i got dvd decryptor and img burn. and feel kinda ready to go. i just hope i can just click and go on both programs and not have to tweak too much as although im tech savvy. im having a lazy saturday. and just want to burn shaolin mantis and then see how good it looks in comparison

p.s i wondered if i had to change a setting! im using a koss player that is so primitive that it doesnt even have a front screen displaying time or place in the movie etc. i did try ejecting the disc which took me to my main screen for the dvd player. i cant figure out which button it would be to switch to component. hmmm. any ideas would help. i went to display but that was just 3:4 vs 16:9 the remote has a lot of buttons.. hmmm

thanks for your quick response!! means a lot and is real helpful. i love this forum. would you believe me if i told you i have never met someone in person who is obsessed with shaw brothers movies?? never. only have talked to people like yourself

one last thing. i use my Wii alot andd there is only one input for component on my tv and my wii is plugged into it. this is another drawback. dont want to have to keep switching. the svideo out works on the koss player but there is no input on the TV :-/

here's to hoping this backup process is easy>? i read somewhere 20-60 min? that sounds almost too good to be true

For the dvd player, I'd suggest googling how to get to the set-up menu. You might need to see if it lets you select the kind of component output, I don't think you need to choose between composite and component, but may need to know the type of component signal it outputs. OR, plug the component in, and try changing the settings in your TV for the component input. As it's a fancy tv, it should let you tweak the settings for each input. Sorry, I don't use component so I'm not much use on that.

BTW-I think you can get a component splitter, perhaps, but if you do, you should get a decent one, IE read reviews before purchasing. That would let you have more than one component lead hooked up to the TV.

About the programs, it is pretty simple, you pretty much choose a folder to rip to with first program and then click on the start / extract button. For burning the disc, though, read the ImgBurn tutorials and follow them- there should be one titled 'burning movie files to single layer dvd-5 disc, or something. Actually, here you go: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

I don't have many friends living near me into kung fu flicks, although I did meet quite a few people through the years. Your first post, though, there's also a lot of older films I feel like re-watching after all these years. The films often get me into a positive frame of mind, as usually the hero has to overcome all sorts of struggles to triumph against the odds.

You're welcome, BTW, it's not a problem. I just hope I didn't give you any wrong advice.

For the dvd player, I'd suggest googling how to get to the set-up menu. You might need to see if it lets you select the kind of component output, I don't think you need to choose between composite and component, but may need to know the type of component signal it outputs. OR, plug the component in, and try changing the settings in your TV for the component input. As it's a fancy tv, it should let you tweak the settings for each input. Sorry, I don't use component so I'm not much use on that.

BTW-I think you can get a component splitter, perhaps, but if you do, you should get a decent one, IE read reviews before purchasing. That would let you have more than one component lead hooked up to the TV.

About the programs, it is pretty simple, you pretty much choose a folder to rip to with first program and then click on the start / extract button. For burning the disc, though, read the ImgBurn tutorials and follow them- there should be one titled 'burning movie files to single layer dvd-5 disc, or something. Actually, here you go: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=4632

I don't have many friends living near me into kung fu flicks, although I did meet quite a few people through the years. Your first post, though, there's also a lot of older films I feel like re-watching after all these years. The films often get me into a positive frame of mind, as usually the hero has to overcome all sorts of struggles to triumph against the odds.

You're welcome, BTW, it's not a problem. I just hope I didn't give you any wrong advice.

thanks for the quality posts man. im gonna type kinda brief as i got to go look for blank dvds. have them here somewhere! :-)

been easy so far! its burning right now. i probably shouldnt be typing while its doin it but oh well. maybe i shouldnt say burning, its catupring the dvd onto my computer then ill burn a disc. p.s i was worried as i thought the region 3 disc wouldnt be able to be read on my computer but the dvd decrytper aknowledged that and literally said it would use brute force to rip it or something like that!

one question when you said you thought the image being better on the ps3 from it upscaling the image. this is true. but you were also aware that the region 1 discs in america dont have the blurring from the pal to ntsc trasnfer on the ivl discs?

and also the region 1 ccelestial shaws in america for the most part are directly from the HD master. thats why say king boxer looks about 10 times better than the ivl region 3s as they had that stupid pal transfer stage which drropped it down a few pegs for sure quality wise!

Yeah, I haven't really paid too much attention to the Pal / NTSC conversion issues, besides the old IVLs having the speedup, I think. Maybe because I was so used to the old bootlegs with the terrible picture, and VHS copies, any remastered dvd would look infinitelty better. I do think Celestial's remastering leaves an artifical look to the colours sometimes, though- but again, a huge improvement to past choices.

Yeah, I haven't really paid too much attention to the Pal / NTSC conversion issues, besides the old IVLs having the speedup, I think. Maybe because I was so used to the old bootlegs with the terrible picture, and VHS copies, any remastered dvd would look infinitelty better. I do think Celestial's remastering leaves an artifical look to the colours sometimes, though- but again, a huge improvement to past choices.

right on. hey man so i followed all the advice in that link you sent. the forum for the IMGburn and its really good but my problem is im at te crossroads where its ready to burn but its too big for the single layer disc. i cant see in the directions on that link you gave where it gives me the options to say take the extras off or the bonus features etc to make room?? id still want to keep the language options tho cause i need to be able to turn the enlish subs on

if this is too complicated PLEASE dont feel bad. youve helped me a ton. its just that the directions are awesome but i cant seem to find any on shaving away excess features or not allowing them on the burn so i have room. any tips?

Sorry, I had no idea the disc you wanted to burn was a dual layer originally. You'll need DVDShrink, open the ripped folder (that DVD Decrypter outputted to), and choose one of the custom settings. Best to google for a guide for DVD Shrink, but I think it's as simple as dragging and dropping the main film to the custom disc side that you want to include. Might want to choose the languages / audio you need, and leave the rest as that will save a lot of space.

DVDFab is a good paid for program, for all this stuff, too. But the other options are free.

Sorry, I had no idea the disc you wanted to burn was a dual layer originally. You'll need DVDShrink, open the ripped folder (that DVD Decrypter outputted to), and choose one of the custom settings. Best to google for a guide for DVD Shrink, but I think it's as simple as dragging and dropping the main film to the custom disc side that you want to include. Might want to choose the languages / audio you need, and leave the rest as that will save a lot of space.

DVDFab is a good paid for program, for all this stuff, too. But the other options are free.

ok cool ill check it out. i too thought that IVL's all went to single layer at some point? looks like a lot were still dual layer. ok dvd shrink time! hehe gonna be close to finishing soon here so ill let ya know what the end result is like!

Also, although it will involve a loss of quality, I think the PS3 plays MP4 files, after ripping the dvd to your PC, you could convert the films to MP4 format, and then play them from a USB stick or drive on your PS3, I think. Best to read up on what the PS3 supports, and find a guide for HandBrake settings for conversion for PS3. HandBrake is a free converter http://handbrake.fr/ .

Not sure if that will help, as you want the best picture, but if you do a dual pass encode and don't compress too much, you won't really lose much quality and will save money and time burning discs. Just a thought.

Also, although it will involve a loss of quality, I think the PS3 plays MP4 files, after ripping the dvd to your PC, you could convert the films to MP4 format, and then play them from a USB stick or drive on your PS3, I think. Best to read up on what the PS3 supports, and find a guide for HandBrake settings for conversion for PS3. HandBrake is a free converter http://handbrake.fr/ .

Not sure if that will help, as you want the best picture, but if you do a dual pass encode and don't compress too much, you won't really lose much quality and will save money and time burning discs. Just a thought.

cool man. actually im at the stage where dvd shrink seemed to compress the whole movie for me with one click its sitting here under 4.5 gig so it will fit on the disc. but i cant find the button to tell it to actually make this shrunken file! haha i feel like an idiot. im looking on line. i clicked reauthor. but it just went to another screen. i wish it had a big "GO" green button to make the new shrunken file so i can use imgburn to burn this new file that will fit. unless i can burn the disc from dvd shrink? either way ive hit a dead end here. im reasearching tho

oops found it! its the "backup" button.its working now. thanks so much man. i have a good feeling that this is going to look SO much better than my composite region free players output. PS3 with my burned disc will be great i hope and using backed up disc i never risk sctrathing or damaging my dvds! some are out of print too!

OK, since I think a lot of the IVLs had few bonus features, you shouldn't lose too much quality shrinking the whole disc, and DVDShrink tells you have much loss of quality takes place. But in future, I advise you use the custom / reauthor feature, so you can leave out the menu, extras, and unused languages to ensure you lose zero picture quality. Burn at a speed less than max, too. Good luck.

OK, since I think a lot of the IVLs had few bonus features, you shouldn't lose too much quality shrinking the whole disc, and DVDShrink tells you have much loss of quality takes place. But in future, I advise you use the custom / reauthor feature, so you can leave out the menu, extras, and unused languages to ensure you lose zero picture quality. Burn at a speed less than max, too. Good luck.

Mission accomplished!!! it all worked out and i will take your advice for the future but let me say.. it looks SO much better. from composite to hdmi of course would be an amazing jump. but this upscale as well.. holy moly. it looks incredible!! the darks are so bold as compared to being washed out. i played both at once and switched between channels to compare and its night and day. thanks so much phoenix!!!

i may attempt to just go buy dual layered discs. can get 25 for 40 bucks i think but will be worth it.

cause i dont feel confident enough yet to know what things to shave off of the movie to make it fit. meaning the audio and extras looked so small that i dont think thats enough to make it fit. so im going to prob just get dual layer and this will fix all the problems ya know?

so thank you yet again man. going to back up all the ones that i dont have on region 1. this rules. and now i can play these discs anywhere! :-)

I'm glad you're happy with the results. You can shop around for dual layer discs, I don't know the American prices, though. Leaving the extras, and other languages can often make the film fit on a single layer disc, but sometimes not. I still think you can get your dvd player working with your TV through component, but the PS3 is a good option due to being a good upscaler.

Edit- if using DVDShrink, and single layer discs, leaving the menus and languages and features off, will mean that if the film still needs to be compressed you will lose less quality. Also, DVDShrink isn't the best application for compression- there are much better programs out there but they aren't free. If you go for dual layers, of course, you won't lose any quality at all. Also, play with the PS3 picture settings...

I'm glad you're happy with the results. You can shop around for dual layer discs, I don't know the American prices, though. Leaving the extras, and other languages can often make the film fit on a single layer disc, but sometimes not. I still think you can get your dvd player working with your TV through component, but the PS3 is a good option due to being a good upscaler.

Edit- if using DVDShrink, and single layer discs, leaving the menus and languages and features off, will mean that if the film still needs to be compressed you will lose less quality. Also, DVDShrink isn't the best application for compression- there are much better programs out there but they aren't free. If you go for dual layers, of course, you won't lose any quality at all. Also, play with the PS3 picture settings...

cool. thanks man!!

also one more thing. for some reason (that most on here will know why). the region free player i have the movie plays as a smaller square in the middle of the television. i have to set the tv to stretch it to fill the screen. this cuts of parts of the scrreen

the ps3 i leave it on normal and it fits it perfect. no stretching and no loss of the picture due to being shaved off to stretch etc. this is reason alone for me to use the ps3 setup. although i have to do the process of putting it on computer and imgburn etc. but its worth it for me!

Is that with all films? I guess it's something else you need to check out in the dvd player's settings, as even though it's a standard def player, my cable box etc fill the HD screen even though they aren't HD devices. You could perhaps look at your TV settings. Every input you use on the TV should have it's own settings available, as well as general picture settings in the main menu.

You would have to stretch a letterboxed film on dvd usually, but anamorphic releases should fill the TV screen.

You should read up online on your TV, as well as the dvd player. Also, there's certain sites which will give you the best options for colour etc etc settings to improve your TV picture, this is much cheaper than getting it professionally done (calibrated). You can also buy set up / calibration discs to tweak the picture, and I think some films come with an option for that (maybe some of the Lucasfilm discs?).

Sorry I can't be much help with that.

I was going to suggest something along the same lines since I'm fairly sure most of the DVD players I have owned have included a setting in the menus before you can use component output (red, green, blue).

OP, another program I was recommended for backing up your DVDs and that is "DVD Smith" a free program.

cool. thanks man!!

also one more thing. for some reason (that most on here will know why). the region free player i have the movie plays as a smaller square in the middle of the television. i have to set the tv to stretch it to fill the screen. this cuts of parts of the scrreen

the ps3 i leave it on normal and it fits it perfect. no stretching and no loss of the picture due to being shaved off to stretch etc. this is reason alone for me to use the ps3 setup. although i have to do the process of putting it on computer and imgburn etc. but its worth it for me!

I would say the cause is either the DVD is letterbox widescreen and you'll need to click "zoom" not stretch and that should fill your screen. Although you should have black horizontal bars on some films that are wider than the 16:9 aspect of your TV. The other thing I would check if the settings in your DVD player and check that the output is 16:9 not 4:3. The 4:3 setting would let you watch movies in widescreen on a 4:3 TV without losing any picture.

Out of curiousity do you see black horizontal bars on some films at the top and bottom of the screen, right? if not try having a look through your discs for the movie with an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or 2.4:1, if you don't see black bars you have your setup incorrect.

Is that with all films? I guess it's something else you need to check out in the dvd player's settings, as even though it's a standard def player, my cable box etc fill the HD screen even though they aren't HD devices. You could perhaps look at your TV settings. Every input you use on the TV should have it's own settings available, as well as general picture settings in the main menu.

You would have to stretch a letterboxed film on dvd usually, but anamorphic releases should fill the TV screen.

You should read up online on your TV, as well as the dvd player. Also, there's certain sites which will give you the best options for colour etc etc settings to improve your TV picture, this is much cheaper than getting it professionally done (calibrated). You can also buy set up / calibration discs to tweak the picture, and I think some films come with an option for that (maybe some of the Lucasfilm discs?).

Sorry I can't be much help with that.

you're absolutely right, I know the Star Wars prequels include the THX calibration tool which I have found very helpful in the past.

My solution to this problem was to hook up my PS3 and an all-region DVD player to an HDMI switch, which is connected to the HDTV. The switch senses which player is active and switches automatically (there is also a button on it to manually switch).

Thanks for confirming that blue_skies, I just followed some recommended settings for my TV from a review site, since every device I connect seems to require adjusting the picture and I can't be bothered to do that.

Thanks for confirming that blue_skies, I just followed some recommended settings for my TV from a review site, since every device I connect seems to require adjusting the picture and I can't be bothered to do that.

you might find, depending on your TV Of course because every TV is different, that setting your TV to 4:3 leaves you with the least amount of picture adjustment. This works On mine so that when I'm watching live television It changes to a widescreen image when it receives a widescreen signal. Then when it receives a 4:3 it automatically sets up black bars down the side showing it as it should. Then the only time I need to alter the picture is just to zoom in on letterbox widescreen. I have found over several widescreen TVs that auto, or smart, or 16:9, or wide (depending on what they call it) often results in stretching. It's always well worth trying different settings to see how they play out with different disks.

OK, thanks for that. I meant colour / contrast settings but I wasn't that clear- I think my TV has just a global settings option for those picture options, rather than letting me set them for each input, so when I set them for say general viewing, plugging in a console gives an exceptionally bright picture. What you posted will probably come in handy, though, so thanks.

Archived