Were the Shaws alergic to endings?! Lets list or favorite endings! Or lack there of

waywardsage

So I've been watching a lot of Shaw's lately and noticed they didn't really have a lot of proper endings to the films. They tend to just end randomly! It's sorta frustrating since you expect there to be a wrap up, but then credits just suddenly appear most of the time.

What are some of the most ridiculously truncated Shaw endings that you remember? What are some of the funniest?

I'll start: In Shaolin Prince, we spend all this time with the characters getting together to regain the throne and.....they never do on screen! We're left wondering what happens in the end!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So I've been watching a lot of Shaw's lately and noticed they didn't really have a lot of proper endings to the films. They tend to just end randomly! It's sorta frustrating since you expect there to be a wrap up, but then credits just suddenly appear most of the time.

What are some of the most ridiculously truncated Shaw endings that you remember? What are some of the funniest?

I'll start: In Shaolin Prince, we spend all this time with the characters getting together to regain the throne and.....they never do on screen! We're left wondering what happens in the end!

Oh there are many but to name a few that come to mind:

Dirty Ho

Lion Vs Lion

Shaolin Mantis

The Proud Twins

I think almost all of those have proper endings, we have just gotten used to thing from hollywood after fight over there is some minutes talk and end credits roll 5-15 minutes...I need to dig vaults there is one where seemed hero and hero girl kill after getting revenge lives happyly ever after but villain slays girl.....It did not feel like proper end or at least expected one:tongue:, try to recall what movie it was, wuxia tho not kungfu.

Crippled Avengers was an awesome movie. The ending is a bit abrupt. After a HUGE action scene, and after the hero's have killed everyone, it just ends right after the last guy is slain!

Crippled Avengers was an awesome movie. The ending is a bit abrupt. After a HUGE action scene, and after the hero's have killed everyone, it just ends right after the last guy is slain!

What`s wrong in that?Most of those movies do not have exactly happy ending unlike hollywood movies so best cut short I think feels right...5 deadly venoms is exception in those endings after villais are slayed they talk shoud they go after judge:nerd:

Execitioners from Shaolin is one of the worse offenders

Death Duel has a great poetic ending

Also, I like the end of Boxer From Shantung, Death of Ma, and his friends fleeing on the train

ShaOW!linDude

As a rule, all MA films should end with a comedic jump into the air that is freeze-framed.

I need to dig vaults there is one where seemed hero and hero girl kill after getting revenge lives happyly ever after but villain slays girl.....It did not feel like proper end or at least expected one:tongue:, try to recall what movie it was, wuxia tho not kungfu.

i suppose a spoiler alert is in order.

spontaneously, i`d guess u re talking about "new tales of the flying fox". very late into the plot, kara hui`s character has joined a convent and for the final scene she makes a comeback as a nun only to get pinned to a tree with a spear.

not expected!

The Shaw films had a lot of cool endings. Generally speaking one of the big flaws in many films is that they don't end on time... after a great ending scene / story climax there is some "blah blah blah, we'll wait till the tension drops and the audience gets bored" part before the end credits roll...

Or even worse, they they add one more unrelated action bit or fright effect (think of every other horror movie made since the 1990's) to the very end... when the film should have ended already two scene earlier...

There's so many films that would be better if they ended 2 or 3 minutes earlier than they do...

I haven't actually seen it in a while but doesn't "House of Traps" have a particularly bizarre and random ending?

I think almost all of those have proper endings, we have just gotten used to thing from hollywood after fight over there is some minutes talk and end credits roll 5-15 minutes...I need to dig vaults there is one where seemed hero and hero girl kill after getting revenge lives happyly ever after but villain slays girl.....It did not feel like proper end or at least expected one:tongue:, try to recall what movie it was, wuxia tho not kungfu.

I thought waywardsage was also referring to Shaw movies with " offbeat " or odd endings that's why I mentioned Dirty Ho,Lion Vs Lion,Shaolin Mantis,The Proud Twins etc etc, if this was not part of his intention then I stand corrected.

I thought waywardsage was also referring to Shaw movies with " offbeat " or odd endings that's why I mentioned Dirty Ho,Lion Vs Lion,Shaolin Mantis,The Proud Twins etc etc, if this was not part of his intention then I stand corrected.

I prolly misunderstood, english not my native language....Shaolin Mantis indeed have weird ending.

i suppose a spoiler alert is in order.

spontaneously, i`d guess u re talking about "new tales of the flying fox". very late into the plot, kara hui`s character has joined a convent and for the final scene she makes a comeback as a nun only to get pinned to a tree with a spear.

not expected!

Cannot be that, I have dvd but not seen movie yet...it`s one of those about 1967-1971 wu xias...But your statement made me curious next shaw I watch is ntoff:angel:

The best ending to a Shaw movie has got to be Human Lanters. There's actually a wrap-up and the sudden flashback to the memories of recent events gave me a creepy tingling feeling the first time I watched it that I've never had watching any other movie.

The most off-beat ending just on top of my head (among many others) could be Legend of the Flying Fox, where after a long long movie with more plots than most tv-series can handle in a season, it ends abruptly after the villain is cut in half. I love those ending most of the time, but here it just leaves you a bit disappointed.

*Spoiler*JADE TIGER

Good guys win but at the end they are thinking was victory worth it...I did saw this when was about 17 and was very taken by movies mature approach issue, its very moral...

I always found Mad Monkey Kung Fu's ending strange, LKL's sister(Kara Hui) dies before the final fight, at the end they just walk off, Hsiao Ho is all bowed up and Pops stops and looks at him, then HH cracks a huge smile before doing a monkey move.

Man where was the love for his little sis??:tongue: After all it was Pops drunkenness that put her in that place!

Archived