R1 Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao DVDs?

waywardsage

blue_skies
I've actually just got hold of it, but was unaware it was full screen and only had the English dub. Impulse buy. :squigglemouth:

by the way welcome to the forum:tongue:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, no I don't. :/ I expect the extras are the same for both movies, since the Victim single disc version is on a dvd5 disc. I expect Traitorous is too? So they could fit both full dvds onto a dvd9 disc. Maybe an opening menu to choose which dvd you watch...

I think the double feature only has the Victim with a dubbed option, I can check but I remember I had been used to the subbed version of that film so when I purchased the double feature disc I was quite disappointed. Also, PC drives can be made region free easily with certain software.

Son Of A Gun

Software I use is "DVD Region+CSS Free". That's what it's called.

You just run it before you put your region coded disc in the drive. It runs in the background.

Killer Meteor

The double bill has The Victim in English only. The Traitorous is only on the double bill, and it's in Mandarin.

waywardsage
I've actually just got hold of it, but was unaware it was full screen and only had the English dub. Impulse buy. :squigglemouth:

Always good to see a new member! Welcome! If anyone gives you guff, don't let that discourage you. We always need new blood participating in discussions.

blue_skies
Always good to see a new member! Welcome! If anyone gives you guff, don't let that discourage you. We always need new blood participating in discussions.

true I think most people here are very friendly and helpful, encouraging to new members and old. Having said that sometimes passions do boil over

waywardsage
I don't know how easily PC DVD drives can be made multi-region, I would make some enquiries before making any purchases!

Thanks for the advice Blue_skies. I was thinking more of downloading the out of print films I want through various means then putting them on my Home Theatre PC that I have yet to make. It seems the best way to collect everything I want in the end.

The Victim Region 1 disc is by Tai Seng. It's pan n scan and original english dub.

The Eastern Heroes disc is PAL, region free (I think), it's cropped to 1:85:1 anamorphic widescreen from it's OAR (2:35:1). Includes original english dub and cantonese mono. English subs are not great but good enough to enjoy the film.

Colours are better on the Tai Seng print.

I heard it was cropped to remove burned in Japanese subs, as the source was apparently a Japanese VHS tape.

Don't know how correct it is.

Apparently, Jackie's old-school movies have come out on Region A blu-ray, which means they should work in American blu-ray players. Unfortunately, the subtitles are in Japanese only (they're Japanese releases.) I don't get why they didn't add English subtitles to these. If they had, these would have been exactly what I've been looking for all this time.

Guest Markgway
I don't get why they didn't add English subtitles to these. If they had, these would have been exactly what I've been looking for all this time.

Two reasons, really:

1. It would cost extra to licence subtitles which the Japanese have no use for.

2. Distributors aren't keen on licensing English subs to non-English markets (although this doesn't apply to local product for some reason).

Yeah, I know. It was more of an annoyed rant than anything else, since aside from the English subtitle issue, these blu-rays are the exact editions of Jackie's movies I've been looking for.

Archived