R1 Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao DVDs?

waywardsage

Could anyone help me locate the best top early Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao flicks on DVD? I'm not hugely knowledgeable of their work and was wondering what were their best early kung fu flicks and where I can find the best Region 1 releases of them.

Any suggestions? Can anyone post links?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ShaOW!linDude

Okay, go here for info on Jackie Chan dvds. I think David Rees' site is one of the best for his stuff.

http://jackiechandvds.co.uk/

Unfortunately there's not a good compilation site I know of for Sammo and Biao. (Hint, hint, DR.:bigsmile:) Still, You're probably about to get lambasted with suggestions. You looking for period pieces or modern actioners or just any early films?

20th Century Fox released a lot of thier early stuff in Region 1 a few years back you can find them used on ebay and amazon, I'd reccomend Knockabout, Winners and Sinners and Prodigal Son as some of the better early movies.

Could anyone help me locate the best top early Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao flicks on DVD? I'm not hugely knowledgeable of their work and was wondering what were their best early kung fu flicks and where I can find the best Region 1 releases of them.

Any suggestions? Can anyone post links?

Hi, I would definitely recommend investing in a multi-region DVD player then you could pick up many classics being rereleased over in the UK at the moment and the very near future, former Hong Kong Legends DVDs. Not to mention region 3 Fortune Star remastered editions.

Wayward Sage, by the way how do you define early Jackie, Sammo and Yuen Biao? it might help if we know what you have seen?

20th Century Fox released a lot of thier early stuff in Region 1 a few years back you can find them used on ebay and amazon, I'd reccomend Knockabout, Winners and Sinners and Prodigal Son as some of the better early movies.

don't forget warriors two, magnificent Butcher and I assume the victim is available on region one?

Be careful though. Most of the Region 1`s have been edited. The worst offenders are New Line Cinema and Diminsion home video.

Such titles as: SUPERCOP, FIRST STRIKE, RUMBLE IN THE BRONX, OPERATION CONDOR 1 & 2 (with the titles being switched), TWIN DRAGONS, MR NICE GUY, WHO AM I, ACCIDENTAL SPY and others have suffered from some form of editing. Even EASTERN CONDORS had some anti-American dialouge removed.

I was thinking more along the line of period kung fu flicks. But I'm not super familiar with all of their films. I'm looking to get the following:

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin

Drunken Master

Drunken Master 2

Knockabout

Prodigal Son

Warriors Two

Magnificent Butcher

The Iron Fisted Monk

I was thinking of starting there, then expanding. But it seems a lot of these releases have disappeared in R1. Are any of the releases of these edited in the USA?

I'd like to get a multi region player, but I'd rather just all have R1 or Region Free titles in my library if at all possible. I hate region encoding as a whole.

masterofoneinchpunch
I was thinking more along the line of period kung fu flicks. But I'm not super familiar with all of their films. I'm looking to get the following:

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin

Drunken Master

Drunken Master 2

Knockabout

Prodigal Son

Warriors Two

Magnificent Butcher

The Iron Fisted Monk

I was thinking of starting there, then expanding. But it seems a lot of these releases have disappeared in R1. Are any of the releases of these edited in the USA?

I'd like to get a multi region player, but I'd rather just all have R1 or Region Free titles in my library if at all possible. I hate region encoding as a whole.

I'll add what I know about the R1 releases (someelse can add what I miss :D)

Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin: Columbia release missing five minutes of footage I believe.

Drunken Master: Cantonese soundtrack missing dialog, dubtitles

Drunken Master 2: cut, soundtrack changed

Knockabout: fine release

Prodigal Son: downmix (no mono) is a bit annoying; small mistakes on subtitles

Warriors Two: downmix (no mono) is annoying; audio slightly changed for one song.

Magnificent Butcher: dubtitles

The Iron Fisted Monk: don't like the film, but release is good.

don't forget warriors two, magnificent Butcher and I assume the victim is available on region one?

The Victim only has a dubbed, fullscreen R1 release I believe.

The Victim only has a dubbed, fullscreen R1 release I believe.

Yeah, I have that one. Ocean Shores is the distributor I think. It has an A.C. with Ric Myers and Bobby Samuels. It actually has a Chinese language track, but no subtitles.

So is everyone saying I should go with a R0 release from Hong Kong of these films? There's so many different releases, it's hard to tell the best one!

Eastern Heroes DVD is the best version out there for "The Victicm". It has a Sammo Hung Interview, Picture Gallery, Cast & Crew Biographines and Original Trailer. The film is in widescreen with English Dub & Cantonese with English subs.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Victim-DVD-Sammo-Hung-REGION-0-VERY-RARE-/180745719672?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_DVDs_DVDs_GL&hash=item2a1548cf78

So is everyone saying I should go with a R0 release from Hong Kong of these films? There's so many different releases, it's hard to tell the best one!

Not necessarily, some of the Fox/R1 releases are very good, but not all of them. There was a thread dedicated to these on the Asian DVD Guide forum. Alas, it is no more.

This site is your friend:

http://www.dvdcompare.net/index.php

This is a great way to compare different releases.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll find quite a few of the Hong Kong remasters are region 3 and you want the remasters. Wayward Sage, if you don't mind asking what DVD player you have including model number because you might be able to get a free remote control hack off the Internet? I'm sure if someone reads your post before me they will take a look on your behalf .:smile: It's usually as simple as inputting a few numbers on your remote control switching from region 1 to all region capacity. Then you can just research which is best and try and get that edition.

Welcome to the can of worms. Not to scare you off but it does seem overwhelming. Yet, it may be fun hunting down the best version. The easiest thing to do would be to just pick up the Region 1 version and not worry about if its been edited or not. But, to save money and time, do some research then pick the best version. Of course, who knows what next year will bring. Triple-dip, anyone?

waywardsage
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you'll find quite a few of the Hong Kong remasters are region 3 and you want the remasters. Wayward Sage, if you don't mind asking what DVD player you have including model number because you might be able to get a free remote control hack off the Internet? I'm sure if someone reads your post before me they will take a look on your behalf .:smile: It's usually as simple as inputting a few numbers on your remote control switching from region 1 to all region capacity. Then you can just research which is best and try and get that edition.

I mainly watch DVD's/Blu's on my PS3. I have an older Sony DVD player. But it's not hooked up at the moment.

All of this mess is further convincing me to built a Media Center PC.

blue_skies
I mainly watch DVD's/Blu's on my PS3. I have an older Sony DVD player. But it's not hooked up at the moment.

All of this mess is further convincing me to built a Media Center PC.

I don't know how easily PC DVD drives can be made multi-region, I would make some enquiries before making any purchases!

Son Of A Gun

The Victim Region 1 disc is by Tai Seng. It's pan n scan and original english dub.

The Eastern Heroes disc is PAL, region free (I think), it's cropped to 1:85:1 anamorphic widescreen from it's OAR (2:35:1). Includes original english dub and cantonese mono. English subs are not great but good enough to enjoy the film.

Colours are better on the Tai Seng print.

blue_skies
The Victim Region 1 disc is by Tai Seng. It's pan n scan and original english dub.

The Eastern Heroes disc is PAL, region free (I think), it's cropped to 1:85:1 anamorphic widescreen from it's OAR (2:35:1). Includes original english dub and cantonese mono. English subs are not great but good enough to enjoy the film.

Colours are better on the Tai Seng print.

I don't suppose you know the difference between the UK region two double feature of The Victim/Traitorous and the UK DVD with just the Victim on it?

Drunken Monk

Does anybody know how to get the Tai Seng version of "The Victim" at a reasonable price?

Son Of A Gun
I don't suppose you know the difference between the UK region two double feature of The Victim/Traitorous and the UK DVD with just the Victim on it?

Sorry, no I don't. :/ I expect the extras for both movies are the same as on the single disc versions, (if there is a single disc version of Traitorous?) since the Victim single disc version is on a dvd5 disc. I expect Traitorous is too? So they could fit both full dvds onto a dvd9 disc. Maybe an opening menu to choose which dvd you watch...

Does anybody know how to get the Tai Seng version of "The Victim" at a reasonable price?

I've actually just got hold of it, but was unaware it was full screen and only had the English dub. Impulse buy. :squigglemouth:

blue_skies
Sorry, no I don't. :/ I expect the extras are the same for both movies, since the Victim single disc version is on a dvd5 disc. I expect Traitorous is too? So they could fit both full dvds onto a dvd9 disc. Maybe an opening menu to choose which dvd you watch...

Thanks, your thoughts are appreciated as the difference in price between the two is staggering!

Archived