Animeigo Love? Why no company participation?

waywardsage

In this day in age, it seems like studios really need to motivate their fans and keep in constant contact with them. It sorta baffles my mind that the reps from Animeigo don't participate in the online cinema discussion forums or at least get our opinions. After all, we're their fanbase!

I'm a BIG fan of the work Animego's doing. Heck, they're the only ones doing a ANYTHING Samurai film related these days. Buy why does their site look like it was made in 1997? Why don't they have forums? Why don't they participate online in the discussion of films and what people want to see them release?

If this were 1999, i'd understand. But this is 2011! I feel they need to have a social networking component in their company.

Then again, I have no idea how big of a company they are. It'd just be nice to know more about them and get some participation with us fans.

Thoughts?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'm a big fan of their samurai DVD films as well. Here's what I know. They're not a very big company. Most of their releases are anime, so that's where the majority of their attention goes. They've always been amazing in replying to my inquiries, and have fantastic, friendly customer service. Why not write to them and ask them to join our forum?

I'm a big fan of their samurai DVD films as well. Here's what I know. They're not a very big company. Most of their releases are anime, so that's where the majority of their attention goes. They've always been amazing in replying to my inquiries, and have fantastic, friendly customer service. Why not write to them and ask them to join our forum?

I would really like to have them on the forums. I think of this site as more "kung fu film centered" and less "samurai film centered." So it'd think it might be tough to get them to join a small community of us fans on here. That's why I'd asked on a different thread whether there's a more popular samurai film forum.

I think us samurai film fans are an even rarer breed than kung fu film fans!

waywardsage: I agree you should contact them as well. I would love to have them on here to discuss upcoming releases or take any feedback from us Fans.....

BlackLamaFaction

Speaking of Animeigo, what is the story with their release of Samurai Assassin? Has anyone else bought this? While the quality is not horrible, it is certainly not on par with the rest of their usually immaculate releases. I was able to find a custom subbed version of the Madman Entertainment (Wild Side) release and it looks great, so im kind of wondering how Animeigo dropped the ball on this release. Did they have a different source version? Was the transfer problematic? Does anyone have any info on this?

Also, I have to agree with Waywardsage, Animeigo is one of the very few companies releasing these films in the english language. It stands to reason that the more support they receive from us fans the more titles they will likely acquire in the future. It would be great to see them grow into a company with a proper site where fans can give feedback and discuss current and future releases.

Guest WuxiaFan
Also, I have to agree with Waywardsage, Animeigo is one of the very few companies releasing these films in the english language. It stands to reason that the more support they receive from us fans the more titles they will likely acquire in the future. It would be great to see them grow into a company with a proper site where fans can give feedback and discuss current and future releases.

Don't forget about SamuraiDVD.com. Merlin's got an incredible selection and constantly adding new items.

http://www.samuraidvd.com/servlet/StoreFront

I think us samurai film fans are an even rarer breed than kung fu film fans!

I wouldn't necessarily say that, I think the golden area of Japanese cinema transcends into mainstream, especially seeing how they were remaking these movies back in the day and still to this day, also many directors from Japan were influenced by 30's-40's Hollywood films. Granted Kurosawa gets all the love, but even the film snobs can't deny how great these movies are from the time period.

Kung Fu is way more cult, very few KF films are international recognized, I think you can start lumping the Chiba films in here to, it doesn't make these movies any less entertaining(to me anyways), but on a technical level, KF for the most part doesn't compare. What makes up the difference for me is the choreography and sometimes the absurdity, I can see where it turns many people off. Over the years it's been easier to turn people on to Samurai classics, KF on the other hand has been a tougher sell.

masterofoneinchpunch
I wouldn't necessarily say that, I think the golden area of Japanese cinema transcends into mainstream, especially seeing how they were remaking these movies back in the day and still to this day, also many directors from Japan were influenced by 30's-40's Hollywood films. Granted Kurosawa gets all the love, but even the film snobs can't deny how great these movies are from the time period.

Kung Fu is way more cult, very few KF films are international recognized, I think you can start lumping the Chiba films in here to, it doesn't make these movies any less entertaining(to me anyways), but on a technical level, KF for the most part doesn't compare. What makes up the difference for me is the choreography and sometimes the absurdity, I can see where it turns many people off. Over the years it's been easier to turn people on to Samurai classics, KF on the other hand has been a tougher sell.

From the film snob standpoint in America and Europe they overall have been more kinder to jidai geki and chambara than kung fu films. For example the Criterion label has tons of "samurai" films and not one kung fu or karate film. I have been pushing (emails and forum posts) more HK films, but they tend to prefer (other than Wong Kar-wai, whom I am a fan of, and two OOP John Woo films) the Japanese movies.

Films snobs generally love Kurosawa though some tend to prefer Ozu and Kenji Mizoguchi.

The influence that John Ford had Kurosawa and others at that time was quite big.

From the film snob standpoint in America and Europe they overall have been more kinder to jidai geki and chambara than kung fu films. For example the Criterion label has tons of "samurai" films and not one kung fu or karate film. I have been pushing (emails and forum posts) more HK films, but they tend to prefer (other than Wong Kar-wai, whom I am a fan of, and two OOP John Woo films) the Japanese movies.

Films snobs generally love Kurosawa though some tend to prefer Ozu and Kenji Mizoguchi.

The influence that John Ford had Kurosawa and others at that time was quite big.

Yeah, you're probably right. It'd be nuts to see Criterion release a Kung Fu film on their label!

It's no wonder a "classy" label like Criterion stays away from kung fu films. Very entertaining genre cinema it may be, but hard to sell as artistically accomplished films. After all, very few kung fu films have other (artistic) merits than the fight scenes. Many of the samurai classics, on the other hand, are character movies or even political films, and would be almost as good even if you removed all the action scenes.

I wouldn't say that the availability of kung fu movies has ever been that bad, though (even though I don't know the history well). Subtitled imports or bootleg releases (vhs, dvd...) have been easily available for those who can look further than their closest supermarket. With Japanese films there's still a ton of classics (samurai and other genres) that have never been released on home video in any country, let alone in subtitled form. Hell, many of my top 10 all time Japanese films have never been released with subtitles...

It's no wonder a "classy" label like Criterion stays away from kung fu films. Very entertaining genre cinema it may be, but hard to sell as artistically accomplished films. After all, very few kung fu films have other (artistic) merits than the fight scenes. Many of the samurai classics, on the other hand, are character movies or even political films, and would be almost as good even if you removed all the action scenes.

I wouldn't say that the availability of kung fu movies has ever been that bad, though (even though I don't know the history well). Subtitled imports or bootleg releases (vhs, dvd...) have been easily available for those who can look further than their closest supermarket. With Japanese films there's still a ton of classics (samurai and other genres) that have never been released on home video in any country, let alone in subtitled form. Hell, many of my top 10 all time Japanese films have never been released with subtitles...

This is still a HUGE problem. For some reason, the Japanese market wants to completely ignore the English speaking world and not release their DVD/Blu's with english subtitles! At least Hong Kong has the fore site to appreciate that there are fans outside their homeland that want to watch their films!

Archived