Shaw Brothers film haul!

waywardsage

I got a stack of Shaw's with a birthday gift card a family member sent me!

I was able to scoop up:

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Disciples of Shaolin

Kid with the Golden Arm

Prior to this I'd picked up:

The Master

Shaolin Mantis

Two Champions of Shaolin

Now I just can't decide which order to watch them in! Any suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TibetanWhiteCrane

The obvious would be chronologically! That way the progression of fight choreo comes off more natural and smooth, than if your watching something from 1983, then going back to something from 1978!

Well if you haven't seen 8DPF yet, I'd watch it first as you'll want to see it another 20 times:wink:

I pick movies depending on my mood, the Venom movies are a little more campy, though you can't go wrong on the KF on any of these movies.

Well if you haven't seen 8DPF yet, I'd watch it first as you'll want to see it another 20 times:wink:

I pick movies depending on my mood, the Venom movies are a little more campy, though you can't go wrong on the KF on any of these movies.

campy ? how? are you watching dubs or subs?

• Administrator

Awesome presents! Oh yeah, happy birthday! :bigsmile:

The obvious would be chronologically! That way the progression of fight choreo comes off more natural and smooth, than if your watching something from 1983, then going back to something from 1978!

Totally agree.

campy ? how? are you watching dubs or subs?

Really Blue Skies, you don't think so at all? For me, something like 8DPF or SHAOLIN MANTIS are acted in a more realistic manner, and (for the most part) the Venoms films are a bit broader, more theatrical (they're sometimes wearing almost superhero type costumes), and I'd agree, a little campy. Not saying that as a negative. I love them. But that's how I feel about them as well.

TibetanWhiteCrane

Agree.... the Venoms flicks are def in the campier end of the scale.... which, like Bob said, is not a bad thing at all!

Does someone have the quick knowledge to put these DVD's in chronological order? They don't seem to have the date on the box.

Disciples of Shaolin 1975

8 Diagram Pole Fighter 1983

Disciples of the 36th Chamber 1985

Kid with the Golden Arm 1979

The Master 1980

Shaolin Mantis 1978

Two Champions of Shaolin 1979

Really Blue Skies, you don't think so at all? For me, something like 8DPF or SHAOLIN MANTIS are acted in a more realistic manner, and (for the most part) the Venoms films are a bit broader, more theatrical (they're sometimes wearing almost superhero type costumes), and I'd agree, a little campy. Not saying that as a negative. I love them. But that's how I feel about them as well.

I obviously misunderstood because when I think of campy I was thinking in a strictly stereotypical way, like you would see in the old Carry On movies.:squigglemouth:

I can see what you mean about the more flamboyant costumes now you mention it but I have to be honest being fairly new to Shaw Bros movies, I naïvely thought that was the norm:redface: so it never even crossed my mind.

ShaOW!linDude

I made these points to b_s not too long ago in a pm conversation we had.

The Shaws always seem to be lavish stage productions to me (which is fine) as opposed to locations. They have great sets and costumes with sometimes astounding attention to detail. I don't think I ever saw the same sets or clothes used twice. (If they'd done song and dance numbers in them like a musical....why, even my mother would've been a fan.)

Shaws also seem to be more prone to wire-work but maybe that's just me. Depending on the film, there can be little instances of it or they're flying about like a plague of locusts. (Okay, that last dig was a bit of an exaggeration but you know what I mean.)

Again, and maybe it's me, depending on the Shaw film, it seems that the fights are less frequent and shorter and take longer for blows to find their targets (unless you're the villain and then you can't seem to miss).

So, campy? Oh, yeah! Cool? That, too.

I was able to scoop up:

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Disciples of Shaolin

Kid with the Golden Arm

Prior to this I'd picked up:

The Master

Shaolin Mantis

Two Champions of Shaolin

Watch them in order of release date.

8 Diagram Pole Fighter

Disciples of Shaolin

The Master

Shaolin Mantis

Two Champions of Shaolin

Kid with the Golden Arm

^I would watch them on that order. Best items last.Lo Meng is extremely nice and cool appearing guy and in Two and Kid he gets bigger role than usually:bigsmile:

I obviously misunderstood because when I think of campy I was thinking in a strictly stereotypical way, like you would see in the old Carry On movies.:squigglemouth:

I can see what you mean about the more flamboyant costumes now you mention it but I have to be honest being fairly new to Shaw Bros movies, I naïvely thought that was the norm:redface: so it never even crossed my mind.

You must not have watched Kid with the Golden Arm yet:xd:

I see Venoms as a good "camp," sometimes you have to roll with it, for me the ridiculous costumes and set pieces make the movie, but the Venom's never under preform on the Fu, you always know your getting the real deal with them!

the Venom's never under preform on the Fu, you always know your getting the real deal with them!

That`s so true.Have to say though fights in KWTGA are likely weakest in Venom movies.Very high quality stuff comes only in the end with Lo Mang vs Kuo Chui and Kuo Chui vs Sun Chien.

For original poster, fear not movie is extremely entertaining and Lo Mang maybe in his best role. I prefer subtitled movies but dub is great in KID:wink:

You're right I haven't seen Kid With The Golden Arm.:bigsmile:

That is one of rare movies I would have wished villain wins...and the way Kid is finished extremely bad:tinysmile_angry2_t:

Archived