All Criterion DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble

ToryK

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
I just picked up the Zatoichi boxset and Scanners for my birthday. The first Zatoichi movie looks absolutely amazing compared to the HVE dvd.

Happy Birthday bro! :bigsmile: Great purchases. That Zatoichi set is fantastic!

I picked up SCANNERS... I simply couldn't resist another Cronenberg Criterion release at 50% off. I love the cover and interior artwork. :nerd: It has the same weird feeling that the film has, and I think artist Connor Willumsen's illustrations capture the film's tone and strangeness perfectly.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
I just picked up the Zatoichi boxset and Scanners for my birthday. The first Zatoichi movie looks absolutely amazing compared to the HVE dvd.

First off, Happy Birthday. Second, Scanners is a great movie. If you haven't seen it yet, let me tell you you're in for a blast (no pun intended).

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Scanners was a blind buy. The reputation coupled with the box art sealed the deal. It actually gets even better when you get to the interior art. I love the vein and artery piece on the booklet. Ill probably watch it Friday after work. Tonight I"ll be watching the 3rd Zatoichi film. Ive seen them all except for the one that was not released by HVE and Animeigo. It's a pity they did not include the one Katsu made in 89. Also, did you guys see the October anouncements? Can't wait to own My Darling Clementine (love when Ward Bond fans his 45 at the end.) and The Tati boxset. Thank God the November sale will soon follow :tongue:

masterofoneinchpunch

The Tati boxset is good, but annoying from standpoint because of all the double-dipping I am going to do with that set. Good to see Jour de Fete and Parade though. My Darling Clementine will also be a douple-dip (an improvement of course). Ward Bond is always fun to watch. Good to see Criterion putting out more westerns.

Now if only there was a Criterion BD/DVD release of Seven Men From Now with lots of extras (I've seen quite a lot of Randolph Scott westerns recently.)

Totally agree with the Seven Men From Now assessment. If you like that one try Ride Lonesome. Fantastic Scott western with the same director. Scott/Budd B. westerns are right there with the Stewart/Mann westerns. I'd like an upgrade on the Furies as well. I think it would also be cool if Criterion upgraded their other samurai releases, and release some new ones. If they got the HVE Zatoichi and Razor films; i wonder if they nabbed to Yakuza stuff as well.

masterofoneinchpunch
Totally agree with the Seven Men From Now assessment. If you like that one try Ride Lonesome. Fantastic Scott western with the same director. Scott/Budd B. westerns are right there with the Stewart/Mann westerns. I'd like an upgrade on the Furies as well. I think it would also be cool if Criterion upgraded their other samurai releases, and release some new ones. If they got the HVE Zatoichi and Razor films; i wonder if they nabbed to Yakuza stuff as well.

I have the now OOP R1 Budd Boetticher collection. Now all those releases are released through the choice collection (DVD-R) so if you find that collection used (anyone) buy it if you are a fan of westerns. I still have not seen Westbound which unfortunately was not part of that set. I agree with you on all the western points: the Stewart Mann westerns are quite fun as well and I've seen them multiple times. I need to rewatch Furies (and I would buy the BD of it) as I've only seen it once. It would be interesting to see more Anthony Mann on Criterion -- he has so many good to great films (a BD of Fall of the Roman Empire :D).

So I watched Scanners and it was excellent. I've also watched the first 4 Zatoichi films. The upgrades have been breath-taking compared to the HVE releases.

On another note, what movies are other people buying during the sale?

You know, I watched Scanners and I was slightly disappointed. I think I wanted less Stephen Lack and more Michael Ironside. I wasn't expecting anything particularly cerebral (no pun intended, I swear), but I wanted more. More of something. More action or more of what it means to be an outsider. I dunno. I didn't hate it, at all, it's just not my favorite Cronenberg flick.

I had a long list of stuff I wanted to get, but I'm not rich, so I ended up getting:

The Battle of Algiers

Le deuxieme souffle

Stranger Than Paradise

Down by Law

Fantastic Mr. Fox

All of them were blind buys, but I'm a Wes Anderson fan, I love Jarmusch, and what I've seen of Melville's stuff, I've dug. Hopefully this turns out to be a good lot.

masterofoneinchpunch
You know, I watched Scanners and I was slightly disappointed. I think I wanted less Stephen Lack and more Michael Ironside. I wasn't expecting anything particularly cerebral (no pun intended, I swear), but I wanted more. More of something. More action or more of what it means to be an outsider. I dunno. I didn't hate it, at all, it's just not my favorite Cronenberg flick.

I had a long list of stuff I wanted to get, but I'm not rich, so I ended up getting:

The Battle of Algiers

Le deuxieme souffle

Stranger Than Paradise

Down by Law

Fantastic Mr. Fox

All of them were blind buys, but I'm a Wes Anderson fan, I love Jarmusch, and what I've seen of Melville's stuff, I've dug. Hopefully this turns out to be a good lot.

I'm on the fence with Scanners as well. I do wonder if it was because I to had seen it recently for the first time.

I have not seen the Jarmusch films (I do own Down by Law), but I have seen the others. The Battle of Algiers is often considered one of the most important agitprop films and was a huge influence on both Spike Lee and Oliver Stone (one scene in Platoon is directly lifted from this film.) Fantastic Mr. Fox is a fun film and Le deuxieme souffle is a must watch since I'm a Melville fan.

Good picks.

Yeah Battle of Algiers is an excellent movie. Its just great film making. As for Scanners, I like it because it plays like a simple eighties horror flick. Its not my favorite Cronenberg movie either, but it's a simple and tightly told story. I'm thinking about nabbing the original Blob tomorrow.

Archived