All Criterion DVDs are 50% off at Barnes & Noble

ToryK

Hey, just to let my fellow geeks know, Barnes & Noble are having a 50% off sale on all of their Criterion DVDs and Blu-Ray. As expensive as they are, that's too good a deal to miss out on. :nerd: Oh, and since I'm new here, I figure I better introduce myself. I'm Tory. Been reading reviews here and lurking for years. You guys have a really good vibe going here.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Thanks for the head's up Tory! I'm going to grab a few Christmas presents for my son. He loves the Criterion releases as much as me. :bigsmile:

And though we've already become aquainted a few days ago, let me officially say "Welcome to the forum!". :wink:

Thanks, dude. I appreciate it.

And I'm already getting a list going in my head. I'm gonna pick up some Kubrick, some Kurosawa...

masterofoneinchpunch

I'm not sure what I will pick up this month, but as several know I'm a Criterion fan (even run a forum on Criterion though I seem to always go off on tangents).

I will be picking up Island of Lost Souls and the Jean Vigo set this time around, not sure what else right now.

And one should not resist Stagecoach ...

OpiumKungFuCracker

I was hoping to get Eraserhead but that doesn't come out in Sept, DAMN IT!!!

DeathFuMaster

This is the time of the year when I try to binge watch as many Criterion releases as I can to see if I need to add any more to my collection.

masterofoneinchpunch
This is the time of the year when I try to binge watch as many Criterion releases as I can to see if I need to add any more to my collection.

How many Criterions do you have and have seen? I've been collecting them for years (and even have a forum on them :D).

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
How many Criterions do you have and have seen? I've been collecting them for years (and even have a forum on them :D).

I only recently saw your forum, and it is very impressive! :bigsmile:

Man... how many? I'm not sure. But I started collecting Criterion Collection releases way back with their laser discs. :nerd: I'll have to look around for a list that I can peek at. Now my son is a huge fan of their releases and has started his own collection as well.

DeathFuMaster

Link to said forum? :nerd:

I actually only have about 30 Criterion blurays. I just buy what I really enjoy and not just films that are historically important. I also have a lot more I need to catch up on (they release them so fast!).

The last I looked at my checklist (yes, I have a excel checklist of all criterion releases :nerd:), I was up to watching about 36% of all of their releases ever. I have a friend that is just over 50%. Hulu has really helped me a lot, especially since they just dumped tons more Bergman films on there recently!

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

I just did a quick look at at a list, and I have at least 170 Criterion Collection releases (on LD, DVD and BD). :crossedlips: Had no idea I owned so many (of course this includes all of the Zatoichi movies). There were around a dozen titles that I wasn't sure about (I may have them, or they me another version. Can't recall), so I didn't count them. Of the ones I do have, there are around 20 of them which I haven't watched yet.

Here you go brother: http://www.criterionforums.com/forums/index.php?/page/index.html

masterofoneinchpunch

I actually only have about 30 Criterion blurays. I just buy what I really enjoy and not just films that are historically important. I also have a lot more I need to catch up on (they release them so fast!).

The last I looked at my checklist (yes, I have a excel checklist of all criterion releases :nerd:), I was up to watching about 36% of all of their releases ever. I have a friend that is just over 50%. Hulu has really helped me a lot, especially since they just dumped tons more Bergman films on there recently!

Don't forget the Eclipse releases as well :). I'm somewhere in the 60% percent watched (at one point I hit 70 percent then I backed off a little and started working on different areas of cinema -- for the first 100 releases I have not seen six for example, but I'm missing a ton from spine 500 and on.) I own around 80 percent of the releases. A few people on the site I know have the whole collection.

I just did a quick look at at a list, and I have at least 170 Criterion Collection releases (on LD, DVD and BD). :crossedlips: Had no idea I owned so many (of course this includes all of the Zatoichi movies). There were around a dozen titles that I wasn't sure about (I may have them, or they me another version. Can't recall), so I didn't count them. Of the ones I do have, there are around 20 of them which I haven't watched yet.

I have a few LDs of Criterion (like The Killer), but not too many. Usually they were gifts from my brother who would find them at second hand shops here in California. That Zatoichi set is nice, wish it was a little bigger though.

Now only if Criterion was better at Hong Kong and Taiwanese films.

If you guys did not know Criterion has discontinued the use of dual format starting with the September releases (woo hoo Eraserhead and The Innocents -- though I have the previous release of that one.)

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
Don't forget the Eclipse releases as well :).

I was counting Eclipse releases among my Criterions...

I'm somewhere in the 60% percent watched (at one point I hit 70 percent then I backed off a little and started working on different areas of cinema -- for the first 100 releases I have not seen six for example, but I'm missing a ton from spine 500 and on.) I own around 80 percent of the releases.

Wow man impressive. :nerd:

A few people on the site I know have the whole collection.

Damn! :ooh:

That Zatoichi set is nice, wish it was a little bigger though.

In terms of extras? I would've liked a few more extras too. Interviews with Katsu's son, co-stars, directors... Maybe a few audio commentaries by some Japanese film scholars.

If you guys did not know Criterion has discontinued the use of dual format starting with the September releases (woo hoo Eraserhead and The Innocents -- though I have the previous release of that one.)

What do you mean? Are they going back to two separate releases per title? One for DVD and one for Blu-ray? (sorry if I'm being thick)

I'm psyched for their SCANNERS and ERASERHEAD releases. :bigsmile:

DeathFuMaster
Don't forget the Eclipse releases as well :).

The funny thing is, we actually don't count the Eclipse releases. I guess we see them as second tier, although I have seen a ton of them as well. I may start doing a separate spreadsheet for Eclipse.

I'm somewhere in the 60% percent watched (at one point I hit 70 percent then I backed off a little and started working on different areas of cinema -- for the first 100 releases I have not seen six for example, but I'm missing a ton from spine 500 and on.) I own around 80 percent of the releases. A few people on the site I know have the whole collection.

That is very impressive man! I usually go through cycles where I watch a ton a Critierion and then burn out. I guess I'm generally that way with all types of films though. I couldn't imagine owning 80%, let alone all of them! haha. That's a big commitment.

I'm not really bummed about not having dual format, but it was nice having the DVD to lend out or take to friends' houses that don't own Bluray Players. It would be nice if the prices would go down a bit because of this though!

masterofoneinchpunch
RE: Zatoichi:

In terms of extras? I would've liked a few more extras too. Interviews with Katsu's son, co-stars, directors... Maybe a few audio commentaries by some Japanese film scholars.

I'm psyched for their SCANNERS and ERASERHEAD releases. :bigsmile:

In both terms of extras and the size of the box which is a little too compact for me (not in the realm of the Ford at Fox box set which is too massive and can double for a coffee table -- yes I have that box set and stubbed my toe a few times on it -- but for John Ford fans it is probably a must have.) I'm not getting rid of the HVE releases though of the earlier Zatoichi that I have. Some come with inserts not duplicated elsewhere. I made the mistake of buying most of the Animego releases though went they went OOP.

Releases that I already have a previous copy of like Y tu mamá también, All that Jazz, The Innocents I'm not that psyched to get a copy (will buy if I find it used though and will ultimately get the blu-ray.) I am pretty stoked for The Essential Jacques Demy (I do have an older copy of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg though.)

on Eclipse: I have seen 66/157 (using icheckmovies.com) I own a few more sets I have not seen. But seriously though love the fact they put out the Kurosawa films and Ozu and Mizoguchi and Hiroshi Shimizu etc...

Here's a cool video of Bong Joon Ho visiting the Criterion offices and grabbing some of his favorite movies...

qBgZQCkUp7E#t=126

DeathFuMaster

It's funny that Bong Joon Ho picked stuff I either have or I'm about to buy!

Speaking of which...are any of you buying anything in particular during the sale?? Personally, I'm picking up Picnic at Hanging Rock, Tess, Repulsion, Persona, and Breaking The Waves

masterofoneinchpunch
It's funny that Bong Joon Ho picked stuff I either have or I'm about to buy!

Speaking of which...are any of you buying anything in particular during the sale?? Personally, I'm picking up Picnic at Hanging Rock, Tess, Repulsion, Persona, and Breaking The Waves

I picked up Tess last week (though I got it at FYE with a coupon for far less than half off) along with BD of Rosemary's Baby and that Martin Scorsese World Cinema set I posted about too. I'll might make one big purchase still at the B&N sale.

Of the ones you mention I still need Breaking the Waves and the Criterion release of Persona (I have the older release from a Bergman R1 boxset.)

DeathFuMaster
I picked up Tess last week (though I got it at FYE with a coupon for far less than half off) along with BD of Rosemary's Baby and that Martin Scorsese World Cinema set I posted about too. I'll might make one big purchase still at the B&N sale.

Of the ones you mention I still need Breaking the Waves and the Criterion release of Persona (I have the older release from a Bergman R1 boxset.)

I bought Rosemary's Baby on sale around when it came out! Obviously, I'm a big fan of Polanski's films. Now, if only Knife in the Water would come out on blu!

I am still working my way through the Scorsese set. The only one I have LOVED so far has been Housemaid. Such a creepy and strange film for the time.

masterofoneinchpunch

I bought Rosemary's Baby on sale around when it came out! Obviously, I'm a big fan of Polanski's films. Now, if only Knife in the Water would come out on blu!

I am still working my way through the Scorsese set. The only one I have LOVED so far has been Housemaid. Such a creepy and strange film for the time.

I did a quick write-up of Housemaid in the last movie watched thread if you have not seen. I liked it to. Earliest Korean film I have seen so far.

I recently got The Uninvited (not on this sale) as well. Still need to see that one. I love the older Criterion films (Kino still has a much better silent movie collection than Criterion -- though Criterion having the rights to most of Harold Lloyd and Chaplin's post Mutual period certainly helps their cause.

DeathFuMaster

I did a quick write-up of Housemaid in the last movie watched thread if you have not seen. I liked it to. Earliest Korean film I have seen so far.

I recently got The Uninvited (not on this sale) as well. Still need to see that one. I love the older Criterion films (Kino still has a much better silent movie collection than Criterion -- though Criterion having the rights to most of Harold Lloyd and Chaplin's post Mutual period certainly helps their cause.

I just read the write-up! I had similar thoughts about the bizarre ending. The comments on the extras made me want to see them, although I'm not sure I want to buy the whole set yet. Maybe after I finish a few more of the films included.

I like some older stuff, but honestly my absolute love and admiration for films comes in the mid 50's. Like I've mentioned before, I do appreciate the historical value of the older films, but they just don't do much for me. Now I do love some silent films (Nosferatu, Vampyr, Chaplin stuff, and Haxan to name a few) and some other stuff before the 1950's, but most of my highly rated films come from the 50's forward.

If you haven't already picked it up; Thief looks amazing on blu ray. the extras are pretty nice as well. It's not a criterion, but my favorite recent blu ray release is Twilight Times release of The Train (Realing great upgrade over the dvd).

I just picked up the Zatoichi boxset and Scanners for my birthday. The first Zatoichi movie looks absolutely amazing compared to the HVE dvd.

Archived