Lucio Fulci's House by the Cemetary...

Guest DrunkMantis

Guest DrunkMantis

I recently bought Zombie. That was a great flick for $10. My first DVD horror movie. Now i'd like to get another cheap one. I saw a version of House by the cemetary for like $4.50! It is not the Anchor Bay version but they say the same running time (87 minutes each). Here's the cover...

179954.jpg

Also they don't mention if the movie is english-dubbed. I wouldn't like to get a Italian or whatever version with eng. sbus. So if anybody can tell me if this one is english and if the version is ok. Like edited, with some gore cut, crappy image quality...?

Thanks a lot everybody ;)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zwolf1

That disc is actually a very good deal. I went back and bought the Anchor Bay one just because I'm a Fulci nut and wanted the extras, but actually that cheaper one's letterboxed, uncut, and has very good picture quality. And it's in English, dubbed, no subtitles. Great movie, too, with loads of gore. :)

Guest monwobobbo

i have that version and it is just fine. brentwood included the film as part of their HORROR RISES FROM THE GRAVE 4 movie set (they gave it a different title that i can't remember) this may be a good buy for you as the other 3 films are good as well. the set goes for about 9.00

Guest monwobobbo

if your looking fo another cheapie get 7 DOORS OF DEATH this better known as THE BEYOND, anohter lucio fulci film. the picture quality isn't as good as the anchor bay version but is still pretty good for a cheapie.

Guest DrunkMantis

Thanks again guys! I will be ordering it soon. Sadly, this cheap version of The Beyong is backordered from where i order my stuff so i'll pass on it.

Also is House by the Cemetary a gory flick? I don't know anything about it. More a thriller, zombies, killers, whatever?

But still don't spoil the fun too much!:P

Guest monwobobbo

although it isn't as gory as most fulci flix it does have some good kills especially the first kill. the movie is kind of a zombie flick but there is only 1 living dead present. weird film but az good one.

Guest zwolf1

It's definitely gory... it's a little more restrained than some of Fulci's other stuff, but in comparison with just about anybody else's movies it's a splatterfest. It's about some people who move into a house once owned by a Dr. Freudstein, who was experimenting with glandular transplants to keep him alive for hundreds of years... and he's been mostly successful with that, if you call that living. ;) There's some pretty intense stuff in it - stabbings and arterial-sprays and maggoty rotten flesh - and a little unintentional humor due to the family's little boy being named "Bob." There's nothing wrong with the name Bob, o' course, but somehow for this kid it just doesn't fit... :)

Guest DrunkMantis

Yeah! I just got it in the mail with ninja checkmate. I should check them both tonight :b

I'll also be ordering Anchor Bay's version of The Beyond tomorrow...

Guest venoms5

Steer clear of that 7 DOORS OF DEATH as it is missing almost all the gore and has a different soundtrack. The same bootleg company that supplies this also carries another Italian gore classic SLAVE OF THE CANNIBAL GOD. if you are interested avoid this version as it is a VHS to DVD copy of the old Prism video release that is severely cut and go for Anchor Bays uncut print entitled MOUNTAIN OF THE CANNIBAL GOD.

Guest monwobobbo

actually the 7DOD dvd uses the title but the print is uncut. the same goes for SOTCG which is missing one scene of bestiality ohterwise uncut. both are widescreen and not from an old vhs source but rather from laser discs.

Guest DrunkMantis

Well i only checked the beginning (first kill...) and then the title screen appear with this really GREAT song playing...reminds me of Castlevania! The picture quality is very good and it seems uncunt too! But don't worry, for the Beyond i won't touch 7 doors, i'm getting the Anchor Bay one. Also we checked Return of the Living Dead last night. That was funny as hell but my friend who ordered it (he got it yesterday just like me) were saying he had seen it as a kid and it was scary. We laughed the whole flick, it's a parody, a comedy.

Guest venoms5

Unless Diamond Entertainment re-released these two from another source the copies of the two mentioned films I saw were identical to the Thriller Video(7 DOORS) and Prism(SLAVE) releases. Also Prism released another cannibal flick, the first, DEEP RIVER SAVAGES under the title MAN FROM DEEP RIVER which is missing the cannibalism. I'm not sure if this one was also bootlegged to DVD.

Guest monwobobbo

not sure what to tell you i hve the 7DOD dvd from diamond and it is uncut. i also have the anchor bay. as for SOTCG i have the brentwood version which is widescreen and only missing the bestiality scene.i don't see any reason to buy the anchor bay of this one.

Guest venoms5

Didn't know Brentwood released that one but the Diamond one if I'm not mixing them up with another company, is a port of the old Prism tape. If this is a mistake sorry. The Anchor Bay disc has a 12 or 15 minute interview with Sergio Martino and some other supplements which would make it the better deal if you are a completist.

Guest DrunkMantis

Well i checked Houde...last night. It is great to say the least! I was waiting for a ok movie since lots of people said it was not as good as zombie bbut IMO it is almost on par. Less gore scenes maybe, but they are so much better (knife in head, pick through body and throat, 3 knife hits in the throat, rip the throat). The scenery is great, the music is great, the story isn't too bad, good camera angles/filming...I really liked it. Now i badly need The Beyond and City of the Living Dead after seeing Zombie and House.

For Slave of the Cannibal God, the Anchor Bay version is 103 minutes and the cheap $4 one (same company as my House DVD...don't remember) is only 86 minutes. Talk about big editing/cutting gore...Is that a good movie?

Also i'm really interested in the new Anchor Bay release of Day of the Dead in July/August cause right now i can't have it on DVD. Same with Dawn of the Dead, but are Anchor also releasing this one?

That's it guys. Later...

Guest venoms5

If you enjoyed CANNIBAL FEROX, CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, etc... you will want this for your collection. In addition to decapitations, gut chomping, bestiality, a graphic castration scene and the usual nauseating live animal slaughter including one of the most difficult to watch sequences involving a big snake and a helpless monkey, made even more difficult by the fact that on the featurette it is discovered the monkey is pushed into the jaws of the snake by a crewman with a stick. Amidst all the carnage there is an air of adventure here that is missing from the other cannibal flicks. Regarding DAY/DAWN, Anchor Bay is releasing both on 2 disc sets sometime in the near future. If you check out www.xploitedcinema.com they have several different double disc sets of both of these titles on region 2. More than likely AB will lift some of the extras for there new releases of these films.

Guest monwobobbo

although the time on my copy of SOTCG says 89 min it runs 96 min. if you can live without a guying doing a pig and a brief female masterbation scene then the cheap version will work. the movie is just ok by cannibal standards.ursela andress does get naked though personally i don't feel the movie warrented replacing the copy i have.

Steer clear of that 7 DOORS OF DEATH as it is missing almost all the gore and has a different soundtrack.

soundtrack is very important thing in that movie...scenes where spiders tear apart mans face and dog bites throat must be seen uncut otherwise movie losts it`s value:(...

House by the Cemetery is the best Fulci I've seen so far. All those wonderfully surreal moments combined with the classical "hounted house" motifs... The relatively slow and "tame" first hour really does a fantastic job on building up the tension and atmosphere. Which makes the gory finale even more powerful... And the ending...

Sure - some effects look rather cheesy and the acting could be better (though I actually think that Paolo Malco was quite good).

But as far as I'm concerned, this film is a masterpiece. An almost perfect mixture of macabre and horror, gore and atmosphere... I even liked it a tad better than The Beyond.

House is maybe his finest technically I really got creeps from music and sets(that kida was damn irrating tho),"beyond" really did not have plot(sets there great too).fulci was not as talented as argento or mario bave but on his best times made great horror movies with lot gore but did not enter into area of too much splatter.gates of hell is damn hell:pof a movie and zombie flesheaters lot better than most other zombi movies.

Archived