I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad (1984)

Guest CLFNole

Guest CLFNole

Not sure if this is the exact title but what does anyone out there no about this one. I know Chan Kwan Tai is in it but thats about it.

Guest VonHumboldtFleischer

This is a good one, actually. Chin Siu Ho plays a spoiled ragamuffin who thinks he's good at kung fu until he pisses off some fabric workers and Philip Ko kicks his arse something awful. This embarrasses his father (Chen Kwan Tai), and he casts him out into the cold cruel world. He meets up with a con-man who pretends to be a Shaolin master (Bill Tung), and learns two very important things: 1. Humility; and 2. How to kick Philip Ko's face in. Lots of comedy in this one, but don't be alarmed - none of it involves the kung fu comedy staples of rotting teeth, urine, animal cruelty or smelly feet. As far as I can remember, anyway.

Guest BKarza

Did nothing at all for me. The movie itself comes off dated and lacking.('84) I don't care for Chin Siu Ho as a lead. The comedy wasn't funny.(when is it ever) The action was dated and average. That was the biggest suprise coming from Hsu Hsia. Corny, dated, weak training sequences. Kuan Tai with a perm. Break dancing stuff in a weird musical number type sequence. Yuen Tak doing nothing while having to watch CSH. If CSH is the lead and Hsu Hsia is directing, it's going to be a biiig disappointment.(this, Ghosts Galore, Fast Fingers)

Guest Chinatown Kid

This film is not a classic or anything but I actually liked the fight scenes and thought they were fast paced and well choreographed. Also liked the fight scene sound effects used in this film too. The film is set in a period time and not in the modern day to answer your question Nole.

Brigadier Chow

I cosign what Chinatown Kid says. It's not action packed in with fights, but what is there is handled well. It's a nice coming of age type movie with lightheated father and son rivalry. Chen Kuan Tai and Chin Siu Ho chemistry is good as well imo.

• Like 1

Guest CLFNole

Thanks for the info I'll probably get it if and when it gets remastered. Not sure if its anything like "My Rebellious Son" but the one thing I thought the movie lacked was the use of Fu Sheng and Ku Feng, as father and son martial artists. It could have used some father son training moments.

Does anyone know the original language of I Will Finally Knock You Down Dad?

There are Mandarin and Cantonese versions.

Looks like the Zii Eagle version in Mandarin, but I have an original VCD of this thats Cantonese. Oh, I see more lip syncing with the Cantonese version.

• Like 1

[ Bumpin' a thread from the dead ]

Finally got around to watching this. With a cast of Chen Kuan-Tai, Lo Lieh, Lily Li Li-Li, Phillip Ko Fei and Chin Siu-Ho, I was expecting something a bit better.

Some of the fights were certainly enjoyable but Lo Lieh and Lily Li were wasted here; Lieh in particular.

The comedy was tolerable but sometimes it was prolonged or just downright ridiculous (monkey hiphop dancing?). I can understand why it was ranked #73 at the 1984 box office.

Any thoughts on this film?

• Like 1

HeavenSword

A film that doesn’t get talked about much . A 1984 hidden gem in my opinion. The story about a son of a respected master that fakes being a great martial artist  . After starting a fight with another master and his students , he gets exposed and runs away after his father gets upset and embarrassed. . Throughout the film , son and father run into each other a few times and a fight occurs , making the son train himself until he is good enough to come back and fight his father. 

One of the things I love about these 80s Shaw films is that they usually have a wide array of stars in them. Here we have Chin Siu Ho, Chen Kuan Tai, Lily Li, Lo Lieh and Bill Tung. The more I see Chin Siu Ho , the more he starts to become a favorite . He did a great job here as the son determined to prove himself . Chen Kuan Tai was good as the hot headed father and Bill Tung was funny as the fake shaolin monk that takes Chin in and teaches him imaginary techniques that make Chin look even more bad lol . Unfortunately Lo Lieh and Lily Li dont have much to do here , but they get in a few nice moments towards the end . 

The action here is pretty good ,  as with most of the films from this period. Chin Siu Ho and Chen Kuan Tai have a few fights with each other throughout the movie and Phillip Ko also makes an appearance  as a fabric owner that has to teach Chin a lesson after causing trouble with his students 👊🏽.  And the comedy here actually isn’t too bad . There’s a lion dance sequence at the beginning that thankfully isn’t too long with a few funny moments and Bill Tung shines as the fake monk. 

I wasn’t expecting a crazy finale , but it was a bit lighthearted, which is probably the only flaw I have. The rematch between Chin Siu Ho and Phillip Ko was actually better and seemed like more of a finale ( Phillip has a great line at the end of the fight too that made me chuckle) . Lo Lieh also made me laugh when he made himself the referee of the last fight for some reason 😆

Overall I thought this was a pretty good late Shaw film.  I’m a fan of a lot of these lesser known Shaw movies so I figured I’d bring light to a few! MV5BZjA0ODY2ODMtNzMwNC00Y2MyLWIyOGYtNTNj

• Like 6

1 hour ago, HeavenSword said:

A film that doesn’t get talked about much . A 1984 hidden gem in my opinion. The story about a son of a respected master that fakes being a great martial artist  . After starting a fight with another master and his students , he gets exposed and runs away after his father gets upset and embarrassed. . Throughout the film , son and father run into each other a few times and a fight occurs , making the son train himself until he is good enough to come back and fight his father. 

One of the things I love about these 80s Shaw films is that they usually have a wide array of stars in them. Here we have Chin Siu Ho, Chen Kuan Tai, Lily Li, Lo Lieh and Bill Tung. The more I see Chin Siu Ho , the more he starts to become a favorite . He did a great job here as the son determined to prove himself . Chen Kuan Tai was good as the hot headed father and Bill Tung was funny as the fake shaolin monk that takes Chin in and teaches him imaginary techniques that make Chin look even more bad lol . Unfortunately Lo Lieh and Lily Li dont have much to do here , but they get in a few nice moments towards the end . 

The action here is pretty good ,  as with most of the films from this period. Chin Siu Ho and Chen Kuan Tai have a few fights with each other throughout the movie and Phillip Ko also makes an appearance  as a fabric owner that has to teach Chin a lesson after causing trouble with his students 👊🏽.  And the comedy here actually isn’t too bad . There’s a lion dance sequence at the beginning that thankfully isn’t too long with a few funny moments and Bill Tung shines as the fake monk. 

I wasn’t expecting a crazy finale , but it was a bit lighthearted, which is probably the only flaw I have. The rematch between Chin Siu Ho and Phillip Ko was actually better and seemed like more of a finale ( Phillip has a great line at the end of the fight too that made me chuckle) . Lo Lieh also made me laugh when he made himself the referee of the last fight for some reason 😆

Overall I thought this was a pretty good late Shaw film.  I’m a fan of a lot of these lesser known Shaw movies so I figured I’d bring light to a few! MV5BZjA0ODY2ODMtNzMwNC00Y2MyLWIyOGYtNTNj

Very nice comments !

It's one of my favorite movies with Chin Siu Ho, who is one of my favorite actors too, and I loved this movie. Ko Fei and Chi Siu Ho are excellent in it !

Did you watch Fast fingers with Bill Tung and Chin Siu Ho, and also Brothers from the Walled City, with Chin SIu Ho ?

And I guess that you must have watched House of traps, right and Masked avengers ?

• Like 4

HeavenSword
1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

Very nice comments !

It's one of my favorite movies with Chin Siu Ho, who is one of my favorite actors too, and I loved this movie. Ko Fei and Chi Siu Ho are excellent in it !

Did you watch Fast fingers with Bill Tung and Chin Siu Ho, and also Brothers from the Walled City, with Chin SIu Ho ?

And I guess that you must have watched House of traps, right and Masked avengers ?

I actually watched Fast Fingers for the first time last night.....to be honest, Lo Meng is the main reason to watch that movie. Chin Siu Ho was great in the fights but when it came to the comedy, meh. I may just need to give it a few more views . And I may give Masked Avengers another view also. I’ve seen it once but I remember enjoying it ! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

Very nice comments !

I have not yet seen this film, in fact it is the first time I have heard of it.  The title almost appears as if Google translated it from Chinese.  Chin Siu Ho is a bit underrated and I think who's skills were not fully utilized in films.  Perhaps not as bad as Yuen Tak, but Chin Siu Ho should have been promoted a lot more.  I remember him being married to Sharon Kwok who was drop dead gorgeous.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 7:55 AM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Watched this twice, wasn't feeling it at all.

Going by the title, I'm not too enthusiastic about it either.

• Like 1