Shaw Brothers Documentaries?

waywardsage

When celestial bought all the Shaw films, did they produce any documentaries to go along with all these DVD releases? If so, where can you see them? Are there any available with english subtitles?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They did some short ones called "Elegant Trails" which are on a multitude of releases.

Chang Cheh, Ti Lung, David Chiang are three that come to mind.

There were ones for Gordon Liu and Fu Sheng too. I'm sure there were more, but I recall those two off the top of my head.

When celestial bought all the Shaw films, did they produce any documentaries to go along with all these DVD releases? If so, where can you see them? Are there any available with english subtitles?

Cinema%20Hong%20Kong.jpg

This is a full doc they produced after releasing the library. It's a 3-part gem:

Starring : English Narration

DVD Subtitles : Chinese, English

Audio : Dolby Digital

Region/Format : Code 3, NTSC, 4:3

Language : Cantonese, Mandarin, English

Rating/Genres : Documentary

Distributed by : Shaw Brothers

Release Date : 04-12-2009

Description :

60 minutes x 3 Episodes

Established for over 50 years, Shaw Brothers produced more than a thousand movies and earned a reputation of the “Hollywood of the East” for Hong Kong. “Cinema Hong Kong”, a three-episode documentary series, is your guide to the milestones of the movie kingdom and a precious record of Hong Kong’s movie history.

KUNG FU

Featuring clips of legendary martial-arts movies including Lau Ka Leung’s “Heroes Two”and “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin”, Jackie Chan’s “Drunken Master”, Jet Li’s “Once Upon A Time In China” and Chang Cheh’s “The Five Venoms”, the series traces back to the early heydays of maartial-arts movies on screen. Interviews with Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, Lau Ka Leung and Lau Ka Fai depict the development of Kung Fu Films.

SWORD FIGHTING

A full journey from the beginning of “Swordplay” movies in Shanghai, growth in Hong Kong cinemas in the 60’s and 70’s and evolution in Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” in 2000. The series also features interviews with such luminaries including John Woo, Chor Yuen, Lau Ka Leung, Gordon Lau Ka Fai, Sammo Hung, David Chiang and Cheng Pei Pei.

THE BEAUTIES OF SHAW STUDIO

Hong Kong cinemas had a wide range of glamorous female stars during the golden age of the 60’s and 70’s. The series will take the audience on a sentimental journey to the good old days and once again look at the expansive epic costume dramas and huangmei operas in which actresses playing both the male and female roles. Rare interviews with Sir Run Run Shaw, stars Ivy Ling Po, Shaw Yin Yin, Tanny Tie Ni and Cheng Pei Pei also featured.

Each equally excellent.

:nerd:

I have always wanted to see the Citizen Shaw documentary, but have not found it anywhere. Was it an extra on one of the French releases?

• Administrator
Citizen Shaw was in the French 36th Chamber DVD Boxset. only with French Voice Over though.

Does anybody have a copy of this? I'd love to trade for a DVD-R of it. :smile:

There was also a documentary on a VCD of one of the Shaws on the link between Chinese Opera, acting and action, and one of the Shaw films. I thought it might be Na Cha the Great, but now I'm not sure. Could this be the Sword Fighting doc?

On an off-topic extra, there was an extra VCD packaged with Diau Charn with a collection of songs by Linda Lin Dai, and a short documentary of her life as the end chapter.

Another extra was a pack of playing cards with photos of Shaw Bros stars. I don't remember the movie this came from.

KUNG FU

Featuring clips of legendary martial-arts movies including Lau Ka Leung’s “Heroes Two”and “The 36th Chamber of Shaolin”, Jackie Chan’s “Drunken Master”, Jet Li’s “Once Upon A Time In China” and Chang Cheh’s “The Five Venoms”, the series traces back to the early heydays of maartial-arts movies on screen. Interviews with Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Sammo Hung, Lau Ka Leung and Lau Ka Fai depict the development of Kung Fu Films.

SWORD FIGHTING

A full journey from the beginning of “Swordplay” movies in Shanghai, growth in Hong Kong cinemas in the 60’s and 70’s and evolution in Ang Lee’s “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” in 2000. The series also features interviews with such luminaries including John Woo, Chor Yuen, Lau Ka Leung, Gordon Lau Ka Fai, Sammo Hung, David Chiang and Cheng Pei Pei.

THE BEAUTIES OF SHAW STUDIO

Hong Kong cinemas had a wide range of glamorous female stars during the golden age of the 60’s and 70’s. The series will take the audience on a sentimental journey to the good old days and once again look at the expansive epic costume dramas and huangmei operas in which actresses playing both the male and female roles. Rare interviews with Sir Run Run Shaw, stars Ivy Ling Po, Shaw Yin Yin, Tanny Tie Ni and Cheng Pei Pei also featured.

Those were all released on DVD in Taiwan as seperate discs. They are long out-of-print now. You might still find one on eBay every now and then.

...the Citizen doc is on Youtube. Been wanting to get this translated from French to English --

but it just keeps getting put on the backburner. One of these days....

Those were all released on DVD in Taiwan as seperate discs. They are long out-of-print now. You might still find one on eBay every now and then.

DDDHouse, my friend, IN STOCK. $16

thelastweaponmaster

Uugh!! Now I waited too long and they are out of stock at DDDHouse. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this disc for a reasonable price? Damn.

DDDHouse, my friend, IN STOCK. $16

Uugh!! Now I waited too long and they are out of stock at DDDHouse. Anyone know where I can get a copy of this disc for a reasonable price? Damn.

REALLY interested in finding this as well.

Archived